• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is my team balanced?

So I've EV trained a handful of pokemon on my Y game and individually they are great but I'm trying to make a more balanced team. Previously there were pokemon on my team that I didn't want to replace but now I'm more willing to swap teammates around. For the team that I am listing, some of the pokemon I have already trained and some I need to IV/Egg move breed. I also want to note that I don't like choice items because I don't like being stuck on one move.

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/SkarmoryXsprite_zps55245288.png[/IMG139]
Skarmory@Shell Bell
Nature: JollyImpish
Ability: Sturdy
Hp and Def
-Stealth Rock
-SpikesRoost
-Whirlwind
-Brave Bird

I really needed a lead pokemon and my other team but didn't have one. I decided on Skarmory for hazard set up with stealth rock and spikes (and I can use whirlwind first if I encounter a type disadvantage before setting up SR, or after). I'm aiming for a suicide lead with this set and sturdy will allow me to at least set up hazards and abuse them with whirlwind. Brave bird is to keep it from being taunt bait and I can use it to do some damage before being taken out.

Edit: I have vaporeon on my team and I can't have two pokemon with leftovers, and skarmory's primary role would be to set up stealth rocks and spikes, so perhaps it would be more beneficial to give leftovers to vaporeon and give rocky helmet to skarmory?

Gotta say, so far I like using Skarmory as my lead :). Even though its not in the first slot in the battle box people usually send out their fire type first when they see my party. And unlike using Ferrothorn for entry hazards, sturdy allows me to survive the first fire attack to set up SR, which is more than I can say for ferrothorn who nearly always got ko'd before even setting up entry hazards. I don't really use whirlwind first because I'm usually out sped and that would cost me from being able to set up so now I always use SR first to set up, then whirlwind or BB if I can if its hp is super low and going to get ko'd the next turn.

Volcarona@Life Orb (?)
Nature: Rash
Ability: Flame Body
Ev'd in Special attack and speed
-Flamethrower
-Quiver Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Giga Drain

Choosing a special attacker was really hard as all out special offense is how I like to play in game, so I have a lot of favorites that I like. I already had volcarona IV bred in my black 2 which is a big deal for me since I don't have (and can never obtain) a 6iv ditto through trade on that game, so by convenience I'm using what I already bred. Giga drain is for water types and recovery (helped it to defeat a suicune in a past wifi battle) and flamethrower is for stab. Quiver dance because everyone says it should have it though I never used it because I hate wasting turns to set up while opponents can attack and ko, but recently my whole previous team was swept by a quiver dance volcarona so I think I'm going to be using that move from now on XD. Bug buzz as another stab and coverage. Question mark on the life orb item because so far I've been using big root to support the giga drain.

I've been toying around with different fire type special attackers as volcarona somehow ended up being useless and ko'd a lot in most of my wifi battles. I'm thinking about giving mega charizard Y a temporary audition for the spot on my team

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/shinycharizardysprite_zpsfa6a3848.png[/IMG139]
Shiny Charizard@Y mega stone
Nature: Timid
Ability: Blaze/Drought
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spd
-Flamethrower
-Dragon Pulse
-Air Slash
-Solar Beam

Flamethrower for typical stab move and good accuracy. Dragon pulse was a must that I wanted, plus the animation for that move looks awesome :D. I could get rid of dragon pulse if it would be more beneficial to have something else, cause at least I have it and can always bring it back with a heart scale. Air slash is for the secondary flying type stab with a chance of flinching. Drought powers up flamethrower and I can fire a solar beam without charging first. Granted, this means that venasaur won't be able to mega evolve but this is why I made sure that it had chlorophyll for its ability so that I could have options later on. Taking away its mega evolution, venasaur would benefit from drought with a huge speed boost. Drought would hinder vaporeons scald but I could wait until the sun wears off if I really needed to use a water type attack.

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/venasaurxsprite_zps6cf9e798.png[/IMG139]
Venasaur@Venasaurite??
Nature: Brave
Ability: Chlorophyll/Thick Fat
252 HP/68 Def/188 SpDef
-Synthesis
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-EQ

Just got a HA bulbasaur so I'm just starting the nature/iv/egg move breeding process. I want to have a mega pokemon in my battle party but since mega lucario and mega blaziken are now banned, I'm now left with mega venasaur as I'm not really interested in the other megas. Mega venasaur is my mixed wall and if my opponent happens to use sunny day or drought I'll take advantage of that. Synthesis and giga drain for recovery and sludge bomb is my fairy counter as I don't have anything else that can easily take down faries.

So venasaur has been doing....ok on the team. It's primary role is to take out fairy type pokemon but as soon as I send it out against fairy types the opponent switches their fairy pokemon out. Other than that it's typing hasn't been a huge advantage, but it does usually take a bit of effort for opponents to ko it. I'm assuming that it will be less bulky now that it won't be mega evolving due to mega charizard temporarily joining the team. I'll see how it holds up with using mega charizards drought to boost its speed. Hm..and now I need a new hold item to give it..

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/gengarxsprite_zpscdbc51da.png[/IMG139]
Gengar@Black Sludge
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EV'd in Special attack and speed
-Shadow Ball
-Substitute
-Destiny Bond
-Focus Blast

Well, I wasn't planning on using gengar (even though its a pokemon that I like), especially since it would essentially give me two special attackers on my team but I got it as a gastly in a wonder trade with 5 ivs and focus blast so I decided to train it and use it as a test run, and boy I was pleasantly surprised! In just the few short battles that I've used it in it has really helped me a lot. Substitute has protected it from thunderwave and while some opponents crack the substitute right away others have futilely hammered at it, unable to break it. With its high special attack 2-3 shadow balls usually take care of opponents with focus blast taking out normal and dark types. Destiny bond has been great, though I'm still getting the timing down as I keep overestimating its ability to survive hits but its been great in taking down pokemon that start sweeping my team.

Gengar has been amazing on my team and almost always plays a big part in my battles. First thing that I do is use substitute when gengar is sent out. That has saved me a couple of times from getting paralyzed by thunder wave or burned from will-o-whisp. And even if the substitute gets destroyed the next turn the hp for making the substitute is still less than the damage it would have taken from a super effective move. Shadow ball does a lot or a fair amount of damage to a variety of pokemon and even thought focus blast's accuracy is iffy sometimes it still helps out a lot. I'm getting the timing down better for using destiny bond and have taken out pokemon near full hp with it.

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/vaporeonxsprite_zps33f21a0f.png[/IMG139]
Vaporeon@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
EV'd in HP and defense
-Scald
-Wish
-Ice Beam
-Protect

Vaporeon can cover for volcarona my fire type by switching into water attacks with its ability and it has great hp to take on multiple attacks before getting defeated. I'm also thinking that even though its another staller (mega venasaur) its also a wish supporter to any weakened teammates and ice beam gives me coverage against dragon types. Scald has a chance to burn an opponent and I can prolong the damage by alternating with protect.

I love abusing vaporeons ability :D. Knowing when an opponent is going to use a water type move and switching in vaporeon for a free heal is great. Sometimes I use vapreons scald on bulky pokemon that I'm having trouble taking down in hopes of giving it a burn, which sometimes does happen. My timing is a little off with using wish when the opponent is using a pokemon that hits vaporeon really hard and I end up waiting until its hp is too low, but other than that vaporeon has been great.

Lucario@Mega stone Suggestions??
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Inner Focus
EV'd in Attack and speed
-Bullet Punch
-Crunch
-Close Combat
-EQ

I figure for my last slot I should have a physical sweeper but I currently dislike the one that I am using. Lucario used to be my mega before it was banned and it was doing great on my team...but now for some reason its been really frail and not very helpful, plus with the addition of skarmory that would put two steel types on my team. I'm looking for a replacement but I'm not sure which physical sweeper would fit best into my team.

I've been trying out garchomp as a physical sweeper on my team

[IMG139]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/BirdConure/garchompxsprite_zpse93bb9ab.png[/IMG139]
Garchomp@Yache Berry (Not sure if this is the best item for it, but I don't like choice items)
Ability: Rough Skin
4 HP/252 Attk/252 Spd
-EQ
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Fire Blast

What I do like about garchomp is its second typing, which gives me the ability to switch into electric type moves without sustaining damage, which gives me some immunity to electric attacks, which I didn't have before. I had my entire team taken out by a thunderbolt using choice specs jolteon at one time. Initially I didn't want to use outrage as it prevents me from using other moves, but it's more powerful than dragon claw and I only use it when I'm in a tight spot to do as much damage as it can. I always try to take out the opponents fairy type first if I can before sending out garchomp. The problem I'm having is that when I send out garchomp they will switch their fairy type pokemon in. I did breed iron head to this garchomp and sometimes I wonder about using a heart scale to bring back that move considering how much it gets targeted by fairy types. EQ is the move that I most often use and stone edge is for flying types. I'm not sure about fire blast as its special attack is half that of its attack but I've been told its best for steel types. And it would also get a boost from drought if I send it out before the sun fades.

Last edited:

sophia B

If you'd wanna run a physical lucario I've got one that you'd like

Lucario@Mega stone/Focus sash
Ability: Adaptability/inner focus
EV'd in Attack and speed
-Bullet Punch/Extremespeed (with adaptability they're equal in power, it's a matter +2 priority versus Steel typing)
-Blaze kick [eggmove blaziken family]
-Close Combat
-Sword Dance/Coverage move like Eq/stone edge/rock slide/shadow claw

but as a normal lucario you should maybe look for a Special one

Lucario @ Mega/Focus Sash/expert belt/life orb/...
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot [Riolu @ 47]
- Aura Sphere [never misses, great for the occasional minimise muk you see in vgc]
- Flash Cannon [Fairykiller]
- Shadow Ball/Psychic [coverage]

And A physical attacker that benefits every team

#Yolobird (talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale wings
Evs: 252 attack/252 hp/4 speed
Nature: Adamant
- U turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Steel wing

You enter and You priority brave bird untill it dies, as lead:
dont like what your oponent is 123 base speed choice band u turn away

Last edited:
I like the team. Some tweaking could be done, but it depends on what you want.

Babs49

I like the team, you def need a physical attacker, for a balance. lucario/megachomp/salamence are viable options. but overall solid team.

Updates and changes are in strike outs and bold. I changed some moves and am trying out a different special attacker and physical attacker

megawurmple

I'd say that the team is balanced overall, but one or two of the individual Pokemon are a bit sub-optimal. For example, the Venusaur looks a bit weak in my opinion. It looks scrambled and messy. The Brave nature doesn't synergise with the Chlorophyll ability. His moveset looks a bit like a dodgy mixed sweeper, but the EV spread lends itself to a bulky tank. I'd try to focus less on attack, and maybe replace Earthquake with Toxic or Leech Seed (or both). That way, you can keep recovering your HP and waiting for the opponent to be killed by Toxic. You can also use a different nature such as Bold or Calm. I would personally go for a Calm nature and lots of SpDef EVs, as both your other walls are physical. Either way, try to focus on one particular thing.

Another couple of minor things:

Consider removing Brave Bird for Spikes on Skarmory. If you time your switch in well, you can set up double hazards, which will cripple a lot of teams. Remember that Spikes can stack.
Consider Disable on Gengar. If you set up a Substitute and take their first hit, you can then Disable their best move the turn after, forcing the switch or flat-out killing them if they don't switch.

I'd say that the team is balanced overall, but one or two of the individual Pokemon are a bit sub-optimal. For example, the Venusaur looks a bit weak in my opinion. It looks scrambled and messy. The Brave nature doesn't synergise with the Chlorophyll ability. His moveset looks a bit like a dodgy mixed sweeper, but the EV spread lends itself to a bulky tank. I'd try to focus less on attack, and maybe replace Earthquake with Toxic or Leech Seed (or both). That way, you can keep recovering your HP and waiting for the opponent to be killed by Toxic. You can also use a different nature such as Bold or Calm. I would personally go for a Calm nature and lots of SpDef EVs, as both your other walls are physical. Either way, try to focus on one particular thing.

Another couple of minor things:

Consider removing Brave Bird for Spikes on Skarmory. If you time your switch in well, you can set up double hazards, which will cripple a lot of teams. Remember that Spikes can stack.
Consider Disable on Gengar. If you set up a Substitute and take their first hit, you can then Disable their best move the turn after, forcing the switch or flat-out killing them if they don't switch.

The only thing is that without BB it'll be helpless against taunt. And it usually doesn't last that long anyway as teams usually have a fire type.Ooh, I never thought of using disable after substitute. Sigh...4 move syndrome. The only move I could think of getting rid of for disable is destiny bond, but even that takes out opponents at near full health. And focus blast is so gengar doesn't get walled by normal types. Mmm...I can see what you mean with venasaur. I'll re-breed for a better nature (I still have the parents I used for this one). I like the idea of toxic to wear opponents down. As far as leech seed goes, all the opponent has to do is switch pokemon to remove the effects right?

Last edited:

megawurmple

As far as leech seed goes, all the opponent has to do is switch pokemon to remove the effects right?

That is true, which is why Leech Seed is a slightly worse choice. Toxic is better. If you do go for Toxic, Venoshock is also a good move in place of Sludge Bomb.

The only thing is that without BB it'll be helpless against taunt.

I use a very similar Skarmory on my team, and Brave Bird never really worked for me. If Skarmory is Taunted and the only move it can use is Brave Bird, you're probably going to switch out anyway as any Skarmory is useless after a Taunt, Brave Bird or no. Then again, if you encounter Taunt very often, I guess Brave Bird does add some extra insurance.

As for Gengar, I'd probably scrap D-Bond. Shadow Ball + Focus Blast is definitely going to stay due to the perfect neutral coverage it brings with it, and Substitute is kind of imperative to the whole Disable plan. I'd rather just kill the opponent with an attack than take it down by dying myself, so in that regard, D-Bond isn't great.

McDanger

There really hasnt been that great advice so far, so

Skarmory - First dont do what wurmple suggested as taunt is common and you will be taunt bait without brave bird. Also spikes are, while nice, not worth the effort for your team as you cant stop defog that well or rapid spin, Gengar loses to AV Excadrill who is the best spinner. Finally, change the shell bell to leftovers are Skarmory isnt meant to be attacking, making it useless on it, and change the evs to 248hp/232 def/28 speed as this will allow you to outpace other Skarmorys and slower walls making Taunt a nice option to help hazard block on switch ins, I would suggest over stealth rocks or whirlwind

Charizard Y - 4 attack is fairly meh with charizard, especially since you lose 50% coming into stealth rocks. I would suggest switching it to the more offensive set
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
With 56 hps, you have a little more bulk as well as odd hps so you can come into stealth rocks 2 times and live with 1 hp while you have enough speed to outpace base speeds of 80 with a positive nature while focusing on dealing massive damage, tho you lose being able to hit dragons for even neutral damage unless you drop focus blast for dragon pulse but then Heatran is a pain to deal with.

Venusaur - To be blunt, normal Venusaur is flat out outclassed by other grass types, especially Amoonguss. While I understand the speed of chlorophyll is nice, with the sun only up for 5 turns, and a minimum of 2 turns switching, you aren't going to sweep much, plus Skarmory slows down your team offensively. Amooguss does a nice job with its bulk and regenerator ability at beating fairies, especially Azumarill, while also helping with Thundurus and Aegislash, tho the later is more with an assault vest. I'll leave both sets, but I personally would use the black sludge set as spore is immensly helpful on your team since its focus is more on beating down the enemy, which will help create switch ins but both are good here.
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Hidden Power [Fire/Ice]

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm/Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Stun Spore/Foul Play

Gengar - Gengar is alright, only thing I would suggest is using Will o Wisp over Destiny Bond Gengar baits in threats like Scizor and Aegislash and a burn really hurts them, while you can burn other threats like assault vest Tyranitar and Hippowdon that try to set up hazards

Vaporeon - I would definatly switch Vaporeon as it really doesn't do much that other members cant do. I'ld switch to Latios mostly for defog and helping Charizard with walls. Latios does a nice job at breaking and weakening special walls with psyshock and provides your team with a more durable speed pokemon, Gengar is really frail.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake / Roost
- Defog

Garchomp - I would honestly change Garchomp as much as I like him, as its fairly meh with the rest of the team. Keldeo is an excellent replacement as it shuts down Bisharp who's a big threat and can just cause a lot of damage with an expert belt set. Despite the sun from Charizard, the two work quite well together as well.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Icy Wind

I know this is wifi so legendaries are hard to get, I would check out the trade forum for them or if you dont want to use them for whatever reason Scizor is a nice defogger and works well at picking off threats with bullet punch and I would keep Garchomp, but change Fire Blast to Swords Dance, and Outrage to Dragon Claw.

There really hasnt been that great advice so far, so

Skarmory - First dont do what wurmple suggested as taunt is common and you will be taunt bait without brave bird. Also spikes are, while nice, not worth the effort for your team as you cant stop defog that well or rapid spin, Gengar loses to AV Excadrill who is the best spinner. Finally, change the shell bell to leftovers are Skarmory isnt meant to be attacking, making it useless on it, and change the evs to 248hp/232 def/28 speed as this will allow you to outpace other Skarmorys and slower walls making Taunt a nice option to help hazard block on switch ins, I would suggest over stealth rocks or whirlwind

Charizard Y - 4 attack is fairly meh with charizard, especially since you lose 50% coming into stealth rocks. I would suggest switching it to the more offensive set
Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
With 56 hps, you have a little more bulk as well as odd hps so you can come into stealth rocks 2 times and live with 1 hp while you have enough speed to outpace base speeds of 80 with a positive nature while focusing on dealing massive damage, tho you lose being able to hit dragons for even neutral damage unless you drop focus blast for dragon pulse but then Heatran is a pain to deal with.

Venusaur - To be blunt, normal Venusaur is flat out outclassed by other grass types, especially Amoonguss. While I understand the speed of chlorophyll is nice, with the sun only up for 5 turns, and a minimum of 2 turns switching, you aren't going to sweep much, plus Skarmory slows down your team offensively. Amooguss does a nice job with its bulk and regenerator ability at beating fairies, especially Azumarill, while also helping with Thundurus and Aegislash, tho the later is more with an assault vest. I'll leave both sets, but I personally would use the black sludge set as spore is immensly helpful on your team since its focus is more on beating down the enemy, which will help create switch ins but both are good here.
Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play
- Hidden Power [Fire/Ice]

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
Calm/Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Stun Spore/Foul Play

Gengar - Gengar is alright, only thing I would suggest is using Will o Wisp over Destiny Bond Gengar baits in threats like Scizor and Aegislash and a burn really hurts them, while you can burn other threats like assault vest Tyranitar and Hippowdon that try to set up hazards

Vaporeon - I would definatly switch Vaporeon as it really doesn't do much that other members cant do. I'ld switch to Latios mostly for defog and helping Charizard with walls. Latios does a nice job at breaking and weakening special walls with psyshock and provides your team with a more durable speed pokemon, Gengar is really frail.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty / Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake / Roost
- Defog

Garchomp - I would honestly change Garchomp as much as I like him, as its fairly meh with the rest of the team. Keldeo is an excellent replacement as it shuts down Bisharp who's a big threat and can just cause a lot of damage with an expert belt set. Despite the sun from Charizard, the two work quite well together as well.

Keldeo @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Icy Wind

I know this is wifi so legendaries are hard to get, I would check out the trade forum for them or if you dont want to use them for whatever reason Scizor is a nice defogger and works well at picking off threats with bullet punch and I would keep Garchomp, but change Fire Blast to Swords Dance, and Outrage to Dragon Claw.

I'll consider replacing vaporeon but at the moment I'm not sure if I will b/c its a pokemon that I really like and it would be hard for me to take it out of the team. And if I get rid of dragon pulse on charizard and take away garchomp then I'd really need vaporeon for dragon types..I do like the more offensive charizard move set that you posted :). Will o wisp does sound appealing on gengar as my team doesn't really have any status inflicting moves. Yeah, venasuar has been doing "meh"....but unfortunately I hate foongus with a passion :/. Maybe switch out venasaur for latios? Hm...but then I wouldn't have anything to counter fairies. Um....I did SR for a latios/ias and finally got one with 30 ivs in special attack and speed, but I don't remember if it was latios or latias at the moment. The problem is that I can't get defog on it as its in my black 2 (?) game. I need to raise its happiness before the game will let me teach it draco meteor before I can transfer it over to my X game. Even without defog....I very rarely get any wifi battles where the opponent uses SR. Huh, for some reason I was thinking that Keldeo was an uber, not an OU. I do actually have one, though if I don't switch vaporeon out then I'd have two water types. Ah well, that's a decision I'll have to make. And thank you for all of the EV spreads :)

Last edited:

andzedan000

Causing Shenanigans
Now time for my 2 cents. I'm not the best, but I still suggest you at least hear me out before you make your decision.

First off, all your pokemon will get hit with a ghost (or dark) move with either a super effective on Gengar or normal damage to everyone else. This is not preferable, so I suggest to switch Venasaur out for Bisharp, due the the fact that it resists ghost and can also due super effective dmg to fairies. This also gives you a big physical sweeper. due to the fact that your venasaur was the only poke you had with SpDef invested in its EVs, I suggest to switch Vaporeon into something like a Gastro with Storm drain, which gives you a specialy defensive poke with a recovery move (recover), 3 different possible statuses (ice beam, scald, toxic) and a potential tank sweeper if It gets a Storm drain, making it a perfect counter water poke (give the Gastro the leftovers).

Second, you have no spinner, a pokemon that takes 50% of its health if it switches into a SR and a pokemon that loses its Sturdy if it does the same. Get on that, you need one.

Third, Im not sure on which one you would prefer this, but either Venasaur or Gengar would really benefit from a Life Orb. That extra damage is priceless sometimes.

That's all I can notice at the moment, but I probably missed something but someone can fix you on that c: