• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is My White 2 Team... Decent?

OwnTempo

I haven't got the game yet, but am planning on buying it and I like to prepare before I start the game. I've seen a lot of guides and read Bulbapedia (yay) and I wanted to know if my team was okay. I'll put their moves and such as if they were at Lvl. 50, and since this is in-game natures don't really bother me. Thanks :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lilligant Lv. 50 :549:
@ Own Tempo
------------------
Petal Dance
Giga Drain
Quiver Dance
Aromatherapy/Synthesis (I don't like Sleep Powder's 75% accuracy)
------------------

Espeon Lv. 50 :196:
@ Synchronise
------------------
Psychic
Morning Sun
Sunny Day
Calm Mind/??? (Shame to have only one attack, but I don't want to use Shadow Ball on Espeon. If only it learnt SolarBeam *cry*)
------------------

Braviary Lv. 50 :628:
@ Defiant
------------------
Crush Claw
Aerial Ace
Hone Claws
Fly/Return (Both get STAB, Fly is useful simply so I don't need an HM slave for it but requires two turns, Return can reach 120[?] power + STAB + huge Atk. Stat, and Pokemon usually get full happiness easily)
------------------

Chandelure Lv. 50 :609:
@ Flash Fire
-----------------------
Shadow Ball
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
SolarBeam
-----------------------

Eelektross Lv. 50 :604:
@Levitate
----------------------
Thunderbolt
ThunderPunch
Thunder Wave [?]
???
----------------------

Flygon Lv. 50 :330:
@Levitate
-----------------
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Sunny Day
Fire Punch (To beat that nasty 4x Ice weakness)
-----------------

PROBLEMS WITH MY TEAM -

1. NO STARTER
-------------------
Serperior has terrible stats, Emboar (where are the fighting moves?), and I don't particularly like Samurott's movepool and stats. PLUS I wouldn't get an Eevee of Petilil until the Castelia Gardens which is just before the 3rd Gym, meaning I'd have to solo the first two gyms with, say, Tepig. It's not ideal, but I don't like any of the Unova Starters and I think (hope) that my team has good type coverage.

2. NO SURF USER
---------------------
None of the Pokemon on my team (to my knowledge) can use Surf. Surf is really useful and I would hate to waste a spot on my team while travelling just so that I could Surf. Speaking of Surf, there isn't a Water type on my team, and Water types (I find) are rather useful during the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, yeah. Is my team 'okay'? Other Pokemon I thought of using are;
-Crobat
-Excadrill
-Steelix
-Arcanine
-Cinccino
-Sigilyph
-Jellicent
-Aggron

Thanks for making this far! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KillerDraco

First and foremost; no starter isn't really a problem. None of the Gen 5 starters are really exceptional, and there's nothing that says you have to use your starter throughout the whole game.

Second, I'm not entirely sure why you're putting Sunny Day onto so many of your Pokemon. If you really wanted to make an in-game Sun Team, the obvious choice would be grabbing a Ninetales from the Dream World, which grants you infinite sun. But in all honesty, Sunny Day isn't even make or break on your team; the boost to Morning Sun doesn't much matter in-game due to healing items being available, barring the PWT/Battle Subway of course. If Lilligant had Chlorophyll I could see why you'd want Sun, but even then... it's not really necessary. In all honesty? I'd drop Sunny Day entirely on your team.

Anyway the Pokemon used aren't bad, but their moves could use some work. Also, I would be inclined to agree that you could benefit from a water type. And IMO, the weakest link in your team would be Lilligant, due to the fact that its movepool is so shallow. If you were to add a water type, Lilligant would be the one to replace. At least that's what I'd do.

Espeon needs Shadow Ball. It really does. Not only does it offer the best coverage, but it's one of Espeon's very few viable attacking choices. And I mean very few quite literally; as far as attacking options go, Espeon only really has 4 viable moves; Psychic, Shadow Ball, Grass Knot, and Signal Beam. I'd actually just use those 4, considering that Morning Sun isn't really necessary due to having healing items, and without Morning Sun there's no reason to use Sunny Day. While Calm Mind IS great, you can't actually get it until post-Elite Four. Once you can get it though, feel free to replace Grass Knot or Signal Beam for it.

Espeon
Timid Nature
Synchronize (Magic Bounce is better but if you can't get one from the Dream World it doesn't matter)
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Signal Beam
-Grass Knot

Braviary should have Superpower; it is the one thing that sets Braviary apart from the multitude of generic normal/flying Pokemon out there (barring Staraptor), which lets it crack open the Rock and Steel types that normally wall flyers. Fly's two turn effect may suck against actual people, but in-game, the foes never really switch and rarely set up, so Fly is actually viable. Also Return's 102 base power does indeed make it a reliable STAB, so you want that over Crush Claw. And finally, you can toss Shadow Claw or Rock Slide on there for a little more coverage. You could also try Brave Bird, whose raw power will blow away anything that doesn't resist it, but the recoil may be unappealing to you.

Braviary
Adamant Nature
Defiant
-Fly
-Return
-Superpower
-Brave Bird / Shadow Claw / Rock Slide

Chandelure's actually looking good for the most part. While Sunny Day does actually make some sense on him, he already has so much immediate power (the highest of all non-legendary) that it may be slightly redundant. I'd just stick Energy Ball on him instead of Solarbeam, since two energy balls with outdamage the two-turn requirement of getting off a single Solarbeam (even with Sunny Day, you have to use a turn to set it up, so the first Solarbeam will always require two turns if you think about it). For his final move, Calm Mind is preferable, but again, that's post E4. So you can just go with Will-O-Wisp to burn physical attackers who might be threatening you.

Chandelure
Modest Nature
Flash Fire
-Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball
-Will-o-Wisp / Calm Mind

Eelektross doesn't need both a physical and a special electric attack; pick one or the other. It actually has a lot of options; it can go physical, special, or mixed. I don't much favor a mixed Eelektross personally though, so I won't bother to list one.

Physical Eelektross
Adamant Nature
Levitate
-Coil / Aqua Tail (If you want boosting vs. more coverage)
-Thunderpunch / Wild Charge (depends on if you don't want to deal with recoil)
-Rock Slide
-Drain Punch

Special Eelektross
Modest Nature
Levitate
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Giga Drain
-Signal Beam

And again, I don't think Flygon really needs Sunny Day. Also, I find Rock Slide better than Fire Punch; it handles ice types just as well, but also has great coverage alongside Earthquake. The fourth move can be a number of things depending on the coverage you want; flying, bug, electric, etc.

Flygon
Adamant Nature
Levitate
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-U-Turn / Thunderpunch / Fly

Okay gonna go sleep now.

OwnTempo

Thanks for the suggestions. :)
I've been trying to use more support moves but I guess in-game they aren't as necessary. Could you suggest a water type? Only one I can think of is Alomomola.

:D

Ace Trainer Riana

Hydreigon is better than Flygon, faster can be special or physical and learns surf, and no double weakness

KillerDraco

Hydreigon is better than Flygon, faster can be special or physical and learns surf, and no double weakness

Actually it's not faster; Flygon's base 100 speed is marginally better than Hydreigon's base 98. While Hydreigon does have much more power and bulk, you have to consider the context; in-game, Hydreigon doesn't evolve until level 64. Not to mention you can't get a Zweilous until Victory Road, and even if you get someone to give you a Deino earlier, it doesn't evolve into Zweilous until level 50. Meanwhile you can get Trapinch as early as Desort Resort, and it's fully evolved by level 45.

Hydreigon may be undoubtedly better than Flygon as a whole, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best choice in-game due to being such a high-maintenance Pokemon to obtain and fully evolve.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Adding onto KillerDraco's rate, personally I'd stick with Fire Punch > Rock Slide on Flygon to hit Steel-types immune to Earthquake (Skarmory and half of the Bronzongs).

If you stick with Lilligant, use Leech Seed as your last move so you can heal back some of your HP while you set up Quiver Dances. I'm personally fond of Sleep Powder on Lilligant (speaking from experience here), and it works especially well with a set of Quiver Dance / Leech Seed / Giga Drain; you put your opponent to sleep and use Leech Seed, and then start boosting with Quiver Dance, putting your opponent to sleep when necessary. After two or three boosts, which you should be able to manage, you can fire off a Giga Drain and deal massive amounts of damage, healing your HP in the process.

As for your Water-type, I think you'll be best with Simipour. If you replace Lilligant with Simipour, you won't add many weaknesses to your team, and plus, Simipour can help cover some of the weaknesses in your team.

Simipour
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Superpower / Low Kick / Acrobatics / Grass Knot / Work Up

Surf for your travelling purposes and for an all-round powerful and reliable STAB move. Ice Beam covers your Grass-type weakness and gives you a decent counter to Dragon-types. Crunch hits Ghost-types hard. Your last move is up to you. You could run a Fighting-type move to deal with Dark- and Steel-types; Low Kick isn't very powerful, but Superpower's -Atk and -Def side-effect might be unappealing to you, especially since Crunch will be affected by this. Acrobatics is a powerful move especially if you're not holding an item. Grass Knot can be used against other Water-types, whereas Work Up can be used to boost both of your offensive stats.

OwnTempo

Simipour seems nice, I used it in Black and Ice Beam is also great. I chose Flygon because he was a beast in my Ruby playthrough, and I think I have used an Espeon in every game: GSC, FRLG and RBE (I traded), as well as my current Lv. 51 Espeon in SS. I'm not very familiar with Unova as I lost my Black game after finding three of the Seven Sages post-game (sad face).

Thanks for your comments! :D