1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is Oshawott the most popluar starter in the anime since Charizard?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Pokemaniac24, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

I'm going to start by saying I am a massive Oshawott fan. Atleast when compared to Ash's other Pokemon in Best Wishes. I think he's funny, adorable, determined, and I love how he flirts with other Pokemon and has become Brock's replacement in a way XD I also like how he hides behind Pikachu when he is too scared to fight an opponent. Now having said all of this, I do believe a lot of people agree with me on here. Now of course we aren't the target demographic and don't represent the majority audience but from what I can tell, I can't see why any little kid wouldn't like Oshawott. He's been just as much of a mascot this season as Pikachu and Axew. It seems like Oshawott is a huge fan favorite and it's been awhile since I have really seen people get behind a Pokemon so much.

Now this has really gotten me thinking (and I know Infernape fans are going go crazy) but is it possible that Oshawott could be the most popular and most iconic starter Pokemon in the anime since Charizard. I think it's safe to say that Oshawott is more popular than Snivy and Pignite and I have heard a lot of Oshawott merchadise has really been selling. Even with Infernape, Torterra, Blaziken and Sceptile, while they do have their fans, no one really seemed to go crazy over their personality and their character. infernape and Sceptile are more known for being powerhouses than characters (yes, they do have personalities but no one seems to go as crazy over their personalities as they do with Oshawott). And I never see anyone really go crazy over Ash's Torterra or May's Blaziken. I heard the Johto starters get a lot of hate on here and people say they were handled poorly. And although, Piplup is popular, most of his popularity comes from Japan while Oshawott seems to be loved in both the Japanese version and the dubs.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you like Oshawott?

2. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

No, Sceptile, Infernape, Piplup and to a lesser extent Blaziken were all more popular in the anime.

3. OceanicLanturn

OceanicLanturn Non non non!

Nah Piplup is slightly in front. Since Japanese people literally go crazy over Piplup, supported by the Sing Piplup event a while ago,,. I got it! It's super kawaiiii...

Yeah Osha is more hyped than Snivy or Tepignite. That's why I don't see t evolving...

4. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Really? Maybe Piplup was more popular in Japan than Oshawott but it seems to me that most of the dub watchers (who I will include in this because I'm doing worldwide popularity) seem to really hate Piplup. And although I wasn't on the forums when Hoenn went on, people don't seem to talk too much about Blaziken when May is brought up. Most of the discussion usually goes towards May as a character and not her Pokemon. I guess I could see Sceptile but Infernape wasn't original at all and I think people only remember him for beating Paul at the end. Otherwise, his personality wasn't anything spectacular at all.

5. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

I'm talking about Blaziken in general, not just May's. You have to remember Blaziken was one of the first, "hyped up" Pokemon of the Hoenn region.

Everyone remembers Ash's Charizard Vs. Harrisson's Blaziken in the Johto league. Blaziken is more remembered for that than any other appearance in the anime...especially if you were watching back in 2002 when it was a new Pokemon and we were like, "Holy crap, who is this new Pokemon that can defeat Charizard?!"

6. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Oh, I see. Yeah, I was thinking more of the starters that Ash and his friends got so that's why I said that I felt Oshawott is more popular than May's Blaziken which I still do feel but yeah, if we are talking about the starter Pokemon on other people's teams, then I think Harrison's Blaziken, Gary's Blastoise, Trip's Serperior, and Bianca's Emboar all have their fans as well.

7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Surprisingly, Blaziken has very few anime appeareances. Other than Harrisson's and May's, I think the only other time we see it is during Movie 7 as Rafe had a Blaziken (and it was paired with a Blastoise) and used it against Ash in the Battle Tower.

8. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Especially if you consider the long period of time between when Harrison's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 5) and when May's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 9).

9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Agreed. Although to be fair Swampert doesn't have that many appearances either, just the "Abandon Ship" episode in Dewford Island, Morrisson had one, and I think it appears one other time.

10. Pokemaniac24

Pokemaniac24 Banned

Isn't it usually rare to see a thrid stage Pokemon in the anime though? Even with Sceptile, I only recall seeing Ash's and Tyson's. Although, I'm sure there were more. Even in Best Wishes, we didn't see a Samurott in the anime until Kotetsu battled Marlon which was 94 episodes in if you don't include TR Vs. TP.

11. Caseydia

Caseydia Ace Trainer

No. Charizard is still being mentioned about coming to cream everyone in the league now as we speak. Without Charizard would Ash's other Pokemon get any love? This is why I got sick of Charizard in the BW. Fans commenting about Charizard most of the time. It gets annoying.

I hate to type this but Oshawott is more favorable for me than the lizard tank right now.

12. randomspot555

randomspot555 Well-Known Member

I think one of the in-game playable characters uses it in a movie opening scene.

13. ShinyCharyZard

ShinyCharyZard Honesty=Infractions

Swampert, forever remembered as being neglected, got more appearances than Blaziken IIRC.. That's counting each different Pokemon, not each appearance of the same one.

Tommy, trainer in the Abandoned Ship episode in Hoenn
    Morrison, Ash's rival in the Hoenn League
    Tucker, the Kanto Frontier Brain
    Brendan, the RSE male, movie 9
    Grand Festival trainer in Hoenn
    Sinnoh Summer School rental Pokemon
    Wild, Wailmer episode in DP

..and possibly even more, I just haven't checked properly..

EDIT: Actually, upon checking I can see that Swampert has even had more seperate appearances than Blaziken overall.. 13, opposed to 11!

Swampert: 13 appearances, 10 Pokemon
    Sceptile: 21 appearances, 4 Pokemon
    Blaziken: 11 appearances, 5 Pokemon

Plus, they have shared equal amounts of "important to the story" roles..

Swampert: Morrison, Tucker
    Sceptile: Tyson, Ash
    Blaziken : Harrison, May

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  14. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Piplup would be in front of Oshawott in both cases if he got a new english VA and if Americans stopped being so offended that Pikachu finally has to share the spotlight with a secondary pokemon that *GASP* actually did something!

Not mention last time charizard was used it lost~~~

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  15. Mew2

Mew2 Team Rocket's Enemy

Only because Ash as a complete and total idiot in ordering him to use a Fighting-type attack against a Ghost-type Pokémon, something he should have known not to do given his previous experience against Ghost-type Pokémon. That, and other things, are why many don't take the battle against Brandon seriously as a showing of Ash's skill as a Pokémon Trainer, or as a testament to Charizard's strength, or Pikachu's for that matter.

16. (P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N) AshXSerena = Canon

The west tends to like stronger pokemon, so charizard, infernape, blaziken are all more popular, while in japan piplup kills oshawott... Literally, piplup's popularity is insane.

17. Born Better

Born Better God of Lightning

He got caught up in the moment and made a mistake.It happens.Let it go.

18. Blazicken

Blazicken Sex on fire

Not really, I don't think i like it more than charizard, sceptile, combusken/blaziken and infernape.
    Always hated piplup...

19. sereb devil

sereb devil Banned

Oshawott is more popular then that annoying dumbass Piplup that's for sure.

20. *futachimaru*

*futachimaru* Music Maker/ Dreamer

Not only is oshawott cute, and his evolutions are awesome, but he has a great personality. he is funny, adorable and attention seeking which makes him the unique character he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.