• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Oshawott the most popluar starter in the anime since Charizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to start by saying I am a massive Oshawott fan. Atleast when compared to Ash's other Pokemon in Best Wishes. I think he's funny, adorable, determined, and I love how he flirts with other Pokemon and has become Brock's replacement in a way XD I also like how he hides behind Pikachu when he is too scared to fight an opponent. Now having said all of this, I do believe a lot of people agree with me on here. Now of course we aren't the target demographic and don't represent the majority audience but from what I can tell, I can't see why any little kid wouldn't like Oshawott. He's been just as much of a mascot this season as Pikachu and Axew. It seems like Oshawott is a huge fan favorite and it's been awhile since I have really seen people get behind a Pokemon so much.

Now this has really gotten me thinking (and I know Infernape fans are going go crazy) but is it possible that Oshawott could be the most popular and most iconic starter Pokemon in the anime since Charizard. I think it's safe to say that Oshawott is more popular than Snivy and Pignite and I have heard a lot of Oshawott merchadise has really been selling. Even with Infernape, Torterra, Blaziken and Sceptile, while they do have their fans, no one really seemed to go crazy over their personality and their character. infernape and Sceptile are more known for being powerhouses than characters (yes, they do have personalities but no one seems to go as crazy over their personalities as they do with Oshawott). And I never see anyone really go crazy over Ash's Torterra or May's Blaziken. I heard the Johto starters get a lot of hate on here and people say they were handled poorly. And although, Piplup is popular, most of his popularity comes from Japan while Oshawott seems to be loved in both the Japanese version and the dubs.

What are your thoughts on this? And do you like Oshawott?

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Nah Piplup is slightly in front. Since Japanese people literally go crazy over Piplup, supported by the Sing Piplup event a while ago,,. I got it! It's super kawaiiii...

Yeah Osha is more hyped than Snivy or Tepignite. That's why I don't see t evolving...

No, Sceptile, Infernape, Piplup and to a lesser extent Blaziken were all more popular in the anime.

Really? Maybe Piplup was more popular in Japan than Oshawott but it seems to me that most of the dub watchers (who I will include in this because I'm doing worldwide popularity) seem to really hate Piplup. And although I wasn't on the forums when Hoenn went on, people don't seem to talk too much about Blaziken when May is brought up. Most of the discussion usually goes towards May as a character and not her Pokemon. I guess I could see Sceptile but Infernape wasn't original at all and I think people only remember him for beating Paul at the end. Otherwise, his personality wasn't anything spectacular at all.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Really? Maybe Piplup was more popular in Japan than Oshawott but it seems to me that most of the dub watchers (who I will include in this because I'm doing worldwide popularity) seem to really hate Piplup. And although I wasn't on the forums when Hoenn went on, people don't seem to talk too much about Blaziken when May is brought up. Most of the discussion usually goes towards May as a character and not her Pokemon. I guess I could see Sceptile but Infernape wasn't original at all and I think people only remember him for beating Paul at the end. Otherwise, his personality wasn't anything spectacular at all.

I'm talking about Blaziken in general, not just May's. You have to remember Blaziken was one of the first, "hyped up" Pokemon of the Hoenn region.

Everyone remembers Ash's Charizard Vs. Harrisson's Blaziken in the Johto league. Blaziken is more remembered for that than any other appearance in the anime...especially if you were watching back in 2002 when it was a new Pokemon and we were like, "Holy crap, who is this new Pokemon that can defeat Charizard?!"

I'm talking about Blaziken in general, not just May's. You have to remember Blaziken was one of the first, "hyped up" Pokemon of the Hoenn region.

Everyone remembers Ash's Charizard Vs. Harrisson's Blaziken in the Johto league. Blaziken is more remembered for that than any other appearance in the anime...especially if you were watching back in 2002 when it was a new Pokemon and we were like, "Holy crap, who is this new Pokemon that can defeat Charizard?!"

Oh, I see. Yeah, I was thinking more of the starters that Ash and his friends got so that's why I said that I felt Oshawott is more popular than May's Blaziken which I still do feel but yeah, if we are talking about the starter Pokemon on other people's teams, then I think Harrison's Blaziken, Gary's Blastoise, Trip's Serperior, and Bianca's Emboar all have their fans as well.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Surprisingly, Blaziken has very few anime appeareances. Other than Harrisson's and May's, I think the only other time we see it is during Movie 7 as Rafe had a Blaziken (and it was paired with a Blastoise) and used it against Ash in the Battle Tower.

Surprisingly, Blaziken has very few anime appeareances. Other than Harrisson's and May's, I think the only other time we see it is during Movie 7 as Rafe had a Blaziken (and it was paired with a Blastoise) and used it against Ash in the Battle Tower.

Especially if you consider the long period of time between when Harrison's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 5) and when May's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 9).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Especially if you consider the long period of time between when Harrison's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 5) and when May's Blaziken appeared (the end of Season 9).

Agreed. Although to be fair Swampert doesn't have that many appearances either, just the "Abandon Ship" episode in Dewford Island, Morrisson had one, and I think it appears one other time.

Agreed. Although to be fair Swampert doesn't have that many appearances either, just the "Abandon Ship" episode in Dewford Island, Morrisson had one, and I think it appears one other time.

Isn't it usually rare to see a thrid stage Pokemon in the anime though? Even with Sceptile, I only recall seeing Ash's and Tyson's. Although, I'm sure there were more. Even in Best Wishes, we didn't see a Samurott in the anime until Kotetsu battled Marlon which was 94 episodes in if you don't include TR Vs. TP.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
No. Charizard is still being mentioned about coming to cream everyone in the league now as we speak. Without Charizard would Ash's other Pokemon get any love? This is why I got sick of Charizard in the BW. Fans commenting about Charizard most of the time. It gets annoying.

I hate to type this but Oshawott is more favorable for me than the lizard tank right now.

randomspot555

I think one of the in-game playable characters uses it in a movie opening scene.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Swampert, forever remembered as being neglected, got more appearances than Blaziken IIRC.. That's counting each different Pokemon, not each appearance of the same one.

Tommy, trainer in the Abandoned Ship episode in Hoenn
Morrison, Ash's rival in the Hoenn League
Tucker, the Kanto Frontier Brain
Brendan, the RSE male, movie 9
Grand Festival trainer in Hoenn
Sinnoh Summer School rental Pokemon
Wild, Wailmer episode in DP

..and possibly even more, I just haven't checked properly..

EDIT: Actually, upon checking I can see that Swampert has even had more seperate appearances than Blaziken overall.. 13, opposed to 11!

Swampert: 13 appearances, 10 Pokemon
Sceptile: 21 appearances, 4 Pokemon
Blaziken: 11 appearances, 5 Pokemon

Plus, they have shared equal amounts of "important to the story" roles..

Swampert: Morrison, Tucker
Sceptile: Tyson, Ash
Blaziken : Harrison, May

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Piplup would be in front of Oshawott in both cases if he got a new english VA and if Americans stopped being so offended that Pikachu finally has to share the spotlight with a secondary pokemon that *GASP* actually did something!

No. Charizard is still being mentioned about coming to cream everyone in the league now as we speak. Without Charizard would Ash's other Pokemon get any love? This is why I got sick of Charizard in the BW. Fans commenting about Charizard most of the time. It gets annoying.

I hate to type this but Oshawott is more favorable for me than the lizard tank right now.

Not mention last time charizard was used it lost~~~

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Not mention last time charizard was used it lost~~~

Only because Ash as a complete and total idiot in ordering him to use a Fighting-type attack against a Ghost-type Pokémon, something he should have known not to do given his previous experience against Ghost-type Pokémon. That, and other things, are why many don't take the battle against Brandon seriously as a showing of Ash's skill as a Pokémon Trainer, or as a testament to Charizard's strength, or Pikachu's for that matter.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
The west tends to like stronger pokemon, so charizard, infernape, blaziken are all more popular, while in japan piplup kills oshawott... Literally, piplup's popularity is insane.

Blazicken

Sex on fire
Not really, I don't think i like it more than charizard, sceptile, combusken/blaziken and infernape.
Always hated piplup...

The west tends to like stronger pokemon, so charizard, infernape, blaziken are all more popular, while in japan piplup kills oshawott... Literally, piplup's popularity is insane.

Oshawott is more popular then that annoying dumbass Piplup that's for sure.

*futachimaru*

Music Maker/ Dreamer
Not only is oshawott cute, and his evolutions are awesome, but he has a great personality. he is funny, adorable and attention seeking which makes him the unique character he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.