• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Paul a champion level trainer?

Is Paul champion tier?

• Yes, he is.

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • No, he isn't.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • He is a solid E4 level.

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • He is not E4 level either but he is close to it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Paul's best feat in JN is stomping M8 Ash's Dragonite the same Dragonite that had defeated Iris' Haxorus (newbie champion level) and defeating Leon's Dragapult. What do you think?

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I picked none of the above. My answer, based on what we’ve seen, is “Maybe?”

Edit: Adding some context here. You're trying to powerscale based on a single datapoint that is not a competitive battle. It's not really enough to judge anything. So if you want him to be champion level, he is. If you don't want him to be champion level, he isn't.

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
No and in some scenarios, if a situation has to be heavily questioned and speculated because the source material refused to give a flat out answer or provide contradictory information despite having the ability to do so (provide clarity) and and have done in the past (ie what’s a Champion level trainer) then the answer is probably more simple and easy to answer than one might think.

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

If Paul isn't Champion tier or even close to it then he shouldn't have held his own and defeated one of Ash's pokemon in that training battle.

Being at the same level that you were from DP of the Sinnoh League vs Defeating champions like Cynthia,Steven and Leon is an enormous gap.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Gym Leader/Early DP
Torterra
Murkrow
Elekid
Chimchar
Ursaring
Weavile

-------------------------------------------

League Champion/Mid-Late DP
Torterra
Ursaring
Electabuzz
Magmortar
Gliscor
Nidoking

Frontier Brain/Sinnoh League
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Ursaring
Magmortar
Honchkrow

Elite Four-Champion/JN
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Ursaring
Garchomp
Magmortar

Or

Mega Aggron/Gyarados/Metagross/Garchomp
Torterra
Electivire
Drapion
Ursaring
Magmortar

Red and Blue

Maybe. He did go toe to toe with a Master Class ready Ash. Which tells me he might of been good enough for the Top 8 if he was participating.

I'd put him at around E4 level.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
They should have just said that he didn't have time for that since he was training for and battling Brandon instead.

Or elaborated more on him wanting to be a gym leader and how his focus was on that.

All tournaments have some degree of being flashy, so saying he didn't want to be in the PWC is like saying he didn't like being in the sinnoh league tournament.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Paul literally states in his JN episode he isn't in the level of a master class trainer, putting him below champion level and comfortably in E4 level
It's not like E4 level trainers can't pose a challenge to champions sometimes lol, him taking down Dragonite who was experimenting with a move doesn't suddenly mean he's champion level, just that he can give a good match to champions which places him E4

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Since the anime is ending and you know there is a small chance Iris is never coming back, can I just say I'm a proud stan? Like imagine p**sing people off, getting them fluttered and upset by a catchphrase to their self insert and then coming back and reminding them again that you were really that girl. All while not even existing. And in return they're making bait posts.

I aspire for those levels of petty

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Since the anime is ending and you know there is a small chance Iris is never coming back, can I just say I'm a proud stan? Like imagine p**sing people off, getting them fluttered and upset by a catchphrase to their self insert and then coming back and reminding them again that you were really were that girl. All while not even existing. And in return they're making bait posts.

She's literally the only companion who got the type of ending Ash did, she literally won the most.
Just like Ash became the world champion and now is poised to continue his never ending journey of what Pokemon master represents to him as wanting to connect with all Pokemon

Iris became the Unovan champion and poised to continue her never ending journey of what a dragon master represents to her wanting to connect with all of Dragon pokemon

So fitting, so based. Iris stans definitely won more than any other companion

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Champion Tier
Leon
Cynthia
Ash
Steven
Diantha
Lance

Between Elite Four & Champion Tier
Alain
Paul
Raihan
Iris
Flint
I agree with this one.
Also the fact that we don't know what Paul's real team is since he didn't bother using Electivire.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

I agree with this one.
Also the fact that we don't know what Paul's real team is since he didn't bother using Electivire.
I'm pretty sure his Electivire was left out of the training battle for a reason,they didn't want a repeat of their first battle which ended in a draw or Paul coming out the victor.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
So fitting, so based. Iris stans definitely won more than any other companion

Maybe her f/sans won, but she sure didn't.

If anything giving her the title of champion was an embarrassment of a move, since she sure could not showcase the weight of it, Ash beating her with her own element doesn't help either.

There are very few times in the show where someone getting close to winning but not doing so can impress, her fight with Cynthia wasn't one of them, all it did was continue to make her Dragonite a joke, and destroy Excadril's credibility due to needing a OHKO move to knock out Cynthia's Gastrodon, for a pokemon with 100 wins it shouldn't need such an attack, only her Haxorus stood out and in the end even it was clearly outclassed by Cynthia's Garchomp.

in other words continuing to lie that you truly care for her, got it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Since the anime is ending and you know there is a small chance Iris is never coming back, can I just say I'm a proud stan? Like imagine p**sing people off, getting them fluttered and upset by a catchphrase to their self insert and then coming back and reminding them again that you were really were that girl. All while not even existing. And in return they're making bait posts.

She’ll be back for the Unova remakes soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.