• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is perfection possible?

Cipher Lord

Pe2ker and Stalker
Well, here's the deal, is perfection physically possible to attain?

I was having a discussion on perfection the other night wiht a PE2K mod. He brought up the point that perfection really is only on a personal level. If you spend your entire life writing the perfect story, refine it and fix everything you want it to be, it's perfect. To you. The perfection is in your eyes and no one else's. It's exactly the way you meant it to be, and that's important enough. Then he said if something is perfet if einkrveryone agrees it's perfect is stupid to think, as not everyone is going to read your story. Then I brought up the point that everything still needs to be improved. He said that at a point, you can't improve it anymore. Then I said that the improving becomes perfecting. And perfecting is trying to achieve something can never be. A paradox, huh.

Discuss.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Can you define perfection? Can anyone?

Profesco

gone gently
Well, the most honest definition of "perfection" makes it an infinite, I'd always thought. I'd imagine it's impossible to reach a physical infinite. =/

Alloute

Not Banned
Is there such a thing?

Yes and No.

It depends, for example, the people I love are perfect, that's how I look at it.

It's a manner of opinion/perspective.

Last edited:

DarkPsychoBoost

Future World Emperor
It's a matter of perspective, something that's perfect in your eyes will always appear imperfect to others. Technically yes, perfection is impossible.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
this is a rather mediocre question in that perfection postulates an absolute and infinite good value to something.

nothing material can ever have a quantitative nor qualitative infinite, rendering this question redundant.

perfection is an infinite, infinites are impossible.

however, there is one place that something can be pefect.

when you put a limit to something, then you can get perfection.

this means that you can get a perfect score, or a perfectly round circle (to a degree anyway), but you cannot get a "perfect" pizza.

you might get a really, really, REALLY good one, but its not perfect.

the biggest problem to this line of argument lies in the assumptions made within the first post.

"Then he said if something is perfet if einkrveryone agrees it's perfect is stupid to think, as not everyone is going to read your story."

firstly, this isnt english, but i think he is trying to say that its stupid to assume that everyone will agree on something as perfect... as not all people will read the book?

firstly, the fact a lot of people believe something does not make it true, the same as the lack of people believing something doesnt make it false.

if there WAS (hypothetically) a "perfect" book, its perfection would be independant of wether or not it had been read, and by how many.

the next problem is that if something IS perfect, by definition, noone would be able to say its NOT perfect.

once again, you might think its really, really, REALLY good, but if it was truly perfect, noone would be able to say it wasnt.

"Then I brought up the point that everything still needs to be improved. He said that at a point, you can't improve it anymore. Then I said that the improving becomes perfecting. And perfecting is trying to achieve something can never be. A paradox, huh."

as humans, we are truly limited in our capabilities, and as such, we will always reach a point where we cannot improve something. improving it after that wont make it perfect.

it is an intrisic property of the human mind to be unable to comprehend infinites, and something would have to be infinitely improved in order to be perfect.

i mean, here, he even says that "perfecting is trying to achieve something can never be.", i mean, this is admitting that perfection is impossible.

in the end, perfection, without the limits, specified guidelines and rules, is impossible.

materials and concept can never be perfect, nor can ideas.

even things we perceive AS perfect, are not. they are just really good. but they can always be better.

so in answere to the original question:

no, it is not.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
Perfection is merely being infinite? Eh, I'd disagree there. There are other ways to define it.

coolminun

Banned
It's a matter of perspective, something that's perfect in your eyes will always appear imperfect to others. Technically yes, perfection is impossible.

My thoughts exactly. Even if it appears to many the way you perceive your idea, there will always be a person who disagrees, or your merthod for attaining your perfection may seem morally or ethically flawed.. This by definition would make your perfection flawed, and in today's definition and conotation of the word it is impossible.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
Perfection is merely being infinite? Eh, I'd disagree there. There are other ways to define it.

there are two definitions.

one applies to something with limits, such as a test score.

100% is perfect.

but thats rarely the case.

outside of those systems, perfection is where a positive attribute is risen to a value that cannot be exceeded.

that is infinite.

In a word...
No.

We're all human, meaning we all have faults.
Sure, we may get 100% on a paper or something, or be very good at a certain task, but there isn't ONE person who's PERFECT.

Perfection means you can do no wrong, that everything you do is right and you can't make a mistake.

EVERYONE makes mistakes. EVERYONE does something wrong once in awhile. You can't be good at everything.

Many strive for perfection, but no one can really obtain it. Its an unachievable standard that no one can ever possibly amount to. Its kinda like Murphy's law: Anything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong. No matter what you do, there's some minor little flaw. Imperfection.

Its just something no one can do. Perfection is just a standard that people want but can't have.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
In a word...
No.

We're all human, meaning we all have faults.
Sure, we may get 100% on a paper or something, or be very good at a certain task, but there isn't ONE person who's PERFECT.

Perfection means you can do no wrong, that everything you do is right and you can't make a mistake.

EVERYONE makes mistakes. EVERYONE does something wrong once in awhile. You can't be good at everything.

Many strive for perfection, but no one can really obtain it. Its an unachievable standard that no one can ever possibly amount to. Its kinda like Murphy's law: Anything that can go wrong, WILL go wrong. No matter what you do, there's some minor little flaw. Imperfection.

Its just something no one can do. Perfection is just a standard that people want but can't have.

we are talking about perfection in general, not whether someone could be perfect.

that has nothing to do with the subject.

we are talking about whether perfection can exist at all, not just whether a PERSON COULD be perfect.

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater

I was having a discussion on perfection the other night wiht a PE2K mod. He brought up the point that perfection really is only on a personal level. If you spend your entire life writing the perfect story, refine it and fix everything you want it to be, it's perfect. To you. The perfection is in your eyes and no one else's. It's exactly the way you meant it to be, and that's important enough. Then he said if something is perfet if einkrveryone agrees it's perfect is stupid to think, as not everyone is going to read your story. Then I brought up the point that everything still needs to be improved. He said that at a point, you can't improve it anymore. Then I said that the improving becomes perfecting. And perfecting is trying to achieve something can never be. A paradox, huh.

Discuss.

There is no perfection. There is only good and bad. Let's say This random show was remade and made "Perfect"
Some people will still not like the new version. There is no perfect to everyone, only a perfect to yourself. just like there is no utterly entirely utopian society.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
NO.

BIG FAT N-O.

Thats why people who do bad stuff still exist, thats why people still argue.

Its impossible to obtain perfection. God didn't make us that way.
If the world were perfect, Life would be very, very, VERY, Boring.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I had a similar discussion in school a while back. This one boy said that being perfect means that there are no opinions. I found that a very interesting answer, but I have my own definition as well. (Now I'm sounding like a hypoctire, heh. See how my own opinion makes me imperfect?)

To be perfect is to have no flaws in any form great or small. It's like with talents. One person may have a wonderful talent of, let's say, leadership, but there's always going to be one person better at that talent. Always. And yet, that person may actually be using his wonderful talent for something he/she will regret doing. No matter how powerful or great one uses his/her talents, it's not going to be perfect, but it gets better as time progresses. However, there will still be weaknesses to that talent that may cut it down to something useless if used incorrectly due to one tiny mistake.

There is no way we can be perfect in both mind, body, and spirit. At least not in this life, as far as I know. Try as we must, we're all going to make at least one small, insignificant mistake that leads to more problems. No one living today is perfect no matter what they claim to be (like Hitler's idea of a perfect race so-called the "Aryans"). Only one human being in all of history has ever been perfect, and that was Jesus Christ. We can try to be perfect like he is, but we'll never get there.

All that matters is how well we live our mortal lives and as long as we're happy with it.

Erienne

Anime high :D
Perfection is a state of mind. One person's perfection can be one person's nightmare, and so forth. Perfection can never be achieved.

AmazingPiplup

Piplup Person
You try to see the best in people you care about, so they may seem perfect to you. But with people you dislike, you try to see the worst in them. But nobody's perfect. Perfection just isn't possible to achieve.