• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is PLA a part of generation 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I’m going to just restate that I think the generation classification system - aside from it being completely unofficial - is outdated and has started to lose value. Legends, BDSP, and Let’s Go have made it clear that precedent and pattern are not promise.
What? 'Generation' is a term that even The Pokémon Company uses in official statements, so I don't get where you got the idea that it's completely unofficial. Also, I'm surprised you think it's 'outdated' and has 'started to lose value' when it still does its job as a basic categorization quite adequately.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
What? 'Generation' is a term that even The Pokémon Company uses in official statements, so I don't get where you got the idea that it's completely unofficial. Also, I'm surprised you think it's 'outdated' and has 'started to lose value' when it still does its job as a basic categorization quite adequately.
It's mostly because of the National Dex removal. Every game since LGPE is self-contained, only able to communicate between other copies of the same games outside of HOME.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
It's mostly because of the National Dex removal. Every game since LGPE is self-contained, only able to communicate between other copies of the same games outside of HOME.
That's fair I guess, but with how messy Pokémon's development cycle has been recently, I think these are just exceptions rather than the rule. GameFreak's probably trying to figure this whole 'interoperability' thing out in an era where absolutely nothing feels certain.

Luthor

if I had to classify it somewhere i'd say gen 8. Melmetal was introduced prior to gen 8 and got considered as a gen 7 Pokemon. So for the Legends Arceus Pokemon gen 8 makes sense to me until something contradicts it.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I also think it’s part of Gen 8. I think of Legends as being 8.5 much like how USUM and LGPE were 7.5.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
It's just a prequel story to gen 4 in my opinion. And not tied the the current Generation.

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
I've always viewed the generation system as only really applying to the main series games myself. The remakes I think of as being separate from that, as well as the side games. Such as the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon series, as well this one.

I see a generation of pokemon games being primarily defined as being set in a new region as opposed to referring to specific lines drawn between groups of games.

As I say though, that's just my outlook.

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
It’s listed as being part of Generation 8 on the main site. So yes, I consider it as an official Generation 8 game.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
I've always viewed the generation system as only really applying to the main series games myself. The remakes I think of as being separate from that, as well as the side games. Such as the Ranger and Mystery Dungeon series, as well this one.
According the Pokémon Japan website Legends: Arceus is main series title with SwSh and BDSP for Generation VIII games.
It’s listed as being part of Generation 8 on the main site. So yes, I consider it as an official Generation 8 game.
Again, everyone is saying what they think but the official Pokémon site has this as a main game grouped with SwSh and BDSP. The announcement of Scarlet and Violet as the next generation also signifies that PLA is part of the eighth generation of Pokémon games.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion

It's unofficial. That TPC very occasionally use it doesn't make it any less fan-created, it just means they've used it a couple times because their audience uses it, because it's part of the language that players have made. See the Bulbapedia page on the term for example - in my opinion, two press releases, a tweet, and a blog post is very sparing usage for going on three decades of business. It's not really like "Shiny," for example, which since around Gen 4 has become widely used official terminology with a specific and clear meaning.

I say it's outdated and has started to lose value, in my opinion, because it's a system that was created when the series was more rigid and stuck to more hard-and-fast rules, and it has limitations that are rooted in that origin. Maybe a more positive way to phrase it is that the concept of a generation has evolved past what I think it originally was.

Take the seventh generation, for example - that's when I think things started to go a little weird. In terms of just the main series, it's comprised of two sets of games on the same system running the same engine - which is perfectly normal for a "generation" - and then also a set of games that is on a new engine with a new graphical style and which doesn't include (almost) any Pokemon outside the original 151, all on a completely new console generation. And as a note, both USUM and LGPE introduced new species. In older generations, jumping consoles was reserved for spin-offs instead of main series entries, and introducing new species didn't happen until a new generation came. One could even argue that the edges started to fray a little as early as ORAS introducing new Mega Evolutions - what's allowed to happen within a generation has seen a gradual change.

The term "generation" has thus lost utility in my eyes: where it used to encapsulate a rather cohesive set of parameters, like visual style and console and National Dex list, it no longer directly implies any of those things. It's just a marker in time: some point at which a pair of games is released that's in a new region (but not a totally new version and time period an old region, for whatever reason) that also introduces new species and mechanics (but those parts can happen intra-generationally too). Anecdotally, I've experienced more difficulty in using the term "generation" lately with my few IRL friends who are deeply invested in the series; I'll say Gen 8 and they'll think I mean just Sword and Shield, or I'll say Gen 7 and they won't know that it includes LGPE, when these are people who would have known exactly which games I meant back in 2017 or so when I said Gen 7 or 5 or 2.

I don't expect anyone to agree, and I realize it's a little nitpicky and doesn't ultimately mean much. I also realize that the main games that throw a wrench in things - LGPE and Legends - might be unique one-off oddities that don't mean much long-term. It's all just my observation as someone who's been a fan for over two decades about how I've personally experienced the evolving context of the term.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
It's not generation nine, it still is part of generation 8. Pokemon being introduced mid generation has been a thing since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Besides numbered generations isn't an official term anyway, so.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
It's not generation nine, it still is part of generation 8. Pokemon being introduced mid generation has been a thing since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Besides numbered generations isn't an official term anyway, so.
Note that while TPC doesn’t recognise the term “generation”, it is still referred to as such on Bulbapedia.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Locking this now, as people are now just going around in circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.