• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is PMD Gates to Infinity worth the money?

andreaf

Hi, I started making money for Christmas and I think I will buy 3DS only for PMD Gates to Infinity (like I did for ds), but... Is the new PMD's storyline as good as the older ones? I need pathos, like when you ranaway from pokemon square or when Grovyle returned to the obscure future grabbing Dusknoir with him. Is the new MD a story that i MUST play (like red/blue and time/darkness/sky) or just a funny game like many others?

Sorry for my english, I am italian and I'm doing my best :)

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Well, I honestly found the plot to be better than Explorer's.

I won't spoil anything as of now, though :p

IMO, Music, Animation, and Gameplay is generally better too.

Rakurai

It seems like the majority of people like the plot of Explorers better, but I personally preferred Gates, largely because of its presentation and much stronger cast of supporting characters, which made the story more enjoyable to me as a whole.

The gameplay has mostly been improved, the only real flaws I'd say being the low number of recruitable Pokemon, the slow text speed, and lower amount of postgame content compared to the previous titles. The graphics (I think it's easily among the nicest looking 3DS games) and the soundtrack are wonderful.

In other words, yes, I think it's definitely worth the money if you're a fan of the series.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I'm going to go ahead and say....I didn't like Gates. With the amount of Pokemon cut, and I mean severely, I just felt like ll of my options were really limited.

The music, eh, you've got a couple of good tracks here and there but they were ok.

The animation was stunning, so don't get me wrong on that.

The plot was...underwhelming. There were a few eye popping moments but nothing truly memorable.

In short, I believe the previous explorer games were better

Rayze Darr

Snubbull Supporter
Explorers was significantly better than Gates, in my opinion, but Gates was still a good game on its own. When taking everything it has to offer and not comparing it to older titles, it's definitely worth a play-through. The main problems I had with it were as follows:

- No hunger or IQ system
- Much easier dungeons, with the hard ones being paid DLC
- Less interesting plot
- Graphics, while good, wreak of "early 3D syndrome" and look a bit awkward at times
- Horrendous partner AI (though you can fix it later on)
- A pitiful number of available Pokémon, including starters

But again, these are all things that won't bother you as long as you can put the previous games out of your mind while playing. Even so, though, I wouldn't call it worth buying a 3DS for. There are, however, much better 3DS games that are worth buying the system for. Pokémon X and Y will be out soon, and we already have games like Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising (personally, I hated this game, but a lot of people like it), remakes of Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64, and plenty more. It's a system worth getting, for sure. Just don't get it if you're only interested in Gates to Infinity.

hawkmbl

Curious
I think it's fantastic and you should buy it. The story is so much better than explorers in so many ways, as in that game, I never really liked much of the supporting cast (The guild, and yes, even Grovyle). But the few supporting characters in this game really stand out, and they each have their own little backstory that is explained throughout the story. Not to mention it looks stunning and has fantastic music. Heck, I'd even rate it as high as Ys IV: Dawn of Ys's soundtrack, if not higher.

As someone who flat out didn't like the story and characters in the last two PMD games, I thought the story in this one was actually pretty good. Take that for what it's worth.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
I've been very interested in getting this game, as I adored the past PMD games, especially Time/Darkness/Sky... those are probably my most played games.

The thoughtful responses are appreciated. I'll definitely buy it if I can snag a DS from a prospective college buddy when I start school later this month.

TheGiftedFlareon

Tactician's Gambit
Personally, Gates was a bit bland. And taking out many Pokemon and the personality test, it made it less... Interactive. I played it through the end and to be honest, it was really easy.

You can buy it if you want, but it is kind of boring after awhile.