• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokémon shipping still pretty big?

michael147

With best wishes
Satoshi x Suiren was the big SM pairing
Judging by what I saw in SM, Satoshi had the closest bond with Mao. He loved her company even in Kanto.
DP336.jpg

And how she makes food! Any girl would have a hard time getting Satoshi out of the Aina Cafeteria.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Hmm, doesn’t ash/lillie have more on both fronts?

Not that it makes much of a difference i guess.

Huh, yeah, you're right. Used to be lower I think.

Now I'm confused.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Huh, yeah, you're right. Used to be lower I think.

Now I'm confused.

I guess it helps like 1/2 of the fanart for ash/lillie seems to be uploaded by one user. So they can singlehandledly affect the numbers if they’re willing enough.

But again, not much there isn’t much hubbub for the ash pairing with the alola girls anyways. So there’s really not much differences between them.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
I guess it helps like 1/2 of the fanart for ash/lillie seems to be uploaded by one user.

No, I know what it is. The tag number in the pixiv dictionary includes fanfics in addition to fanart. The actual fanART numbers are pretty much identical (175 vs 178).

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Ah you meant purely the illustrative ones, got it.

My claim was based on some stats someone else compiled a year or two ago. I believe they were based on engagement level over time, and had SatoSui doing a lot better than SatoLie.
Fanart tends to get a lot more views than fanfics.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
My claim was based on some stats someone else compiled a year or two ago. I believe they were based on engagement level over time, and had SatoSui doing a lot better than SatoLie.
Fanart tends to get a lot more views than fanfics.

I’ve done something similar in the past by counting seeing the yearly ammount of picture fanart on pixiv a character/shipping gets.

I did one for the ash ships last year for fun, but i never even bothered to compare any of the alola girl ones because how few and irrelevant they were lol.

Hildergan

Im pretty sure that pearlshipping is pretty big specially when Dawn arrives to Galar for supporting Ash in the finals

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
From my experience, the biggest Ash Ships are Amourshipping (Ash/Serena), Pokeshipping (Ash/Misty), and Pearlshipping (Ash/Dawn)

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Lol

Tho fr you did just make me remember that Palletshipping (Ash/Gary) is another big Ash ship (or at least it used to be)

It still is lol. If we’re going by how much fanart it has on pixiv it’s only second to amour.

And in the in the span of the last 1 year period has gotten more fanart than pearl, so the engagement is still there.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
It still is lol. If we’re going by how much fanart it has on pixiv it’s only second to amour.

And in the in the span of the last 1 year period has gotten more fanart than pearl, so the engagement is still there.
But what if the fanart is made by one person or few people in comparison to the other ship? It would mean that it’s not as popular as one might think.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
But what if the fanart is made by one person or few people in comparison to the other ship? It would mean that it’s not as popular as one might think.

That’s possible, and also most likely true for this ship, and even more with ash/goh more recently.

Which is why i go by not only the ammount of fanart but also the ammount of searches for the tag.

Like if we’re going by illustrative fanart pallet has like 3x as much as pearl, with there being more fanfics for pearl. But the number of searches for pearl is about double as pallet. We can assume that pallet has a smaller fanbase more as dedicated for fanart, but the search number is big enough that i would still say it’s a still sizeable group (for reference it’s about the same as advance and not far from poke).

In comparison to something like ash/goh which actually has gained more illustrative fanart compared to pearl but has like 1/10th of the search ammount.

That said at the end of the day it’s a possible reading of these data, so their accuracy may vary and isn’t a guarantee where each pair falls into the ship popularity ranking………except for amour, because they leave everything else so far behind in every metric it’s not even fair to compare them anymore lol.

Bulu likes pepsi

I think poke, pearl, advance and especially amour are still popular in the fandom, for multiple reasons:

1. In my opinion, Misty, Dawn, Serena and May are Ash's best friends after Brock. Goh would probably be #6 or so. Misty became very close to Ash especially in Johto, Serena loves him (yeah, that way) in canon, the AG movies (especially the one with Manaphy) pushed Ash x May really hard, and Dawn is overall his best female friend in general. Honestly, friendship between a guy and a girl can, and does, blossom into love.

I still think Brock is his best friend overall but it's obvious that he is like a brother to him, and he is also older by quite a bit. It's why Ash x Brock never got big.

2. People in general just love to make fanfics and fanart of Ash having a girlfriend. By now the writers have made it clear that they don't plan on making a Pokemon series intended for teen/mature audiences. Ash will be forever 10 and will always travel with pikachu to new regions. And he is treated like a shonen protagonist, almost oblivious about love and always focused on his main goal. So we turn to fan content where we imagine Ash (or other characters like Goh and Drew) being in a relationship. There's lots of great fanart of Ash and his girl companions out there, and it gets shared everywhere. And even fanfiction as well.

But... I'd like to do a special shoutout to Ash/harem fics because honestly most of them really suck. They tend to build Ash as this alpha male that got betrayed and now returns after 6 years, and he has no weaknesses and destroys his opponents 6-0, he is also the chosen one, has this super ultra aura guardian nature, has a Lucario and a Mewtwo, and has this giant harem of 20 women if possible. Of course, lots of lemons and all that, but my big problem is that they tend to pair Ash with women who are obviously of another age (Cynthia, Elesa, Lusamine) just because they are considered attractive. And my even bigger problem is creeps pairing Ash with Pokemon. Like jesus christ just stop, and bro you seriously need help at this point.

If you want an Ash/harem pairing I'd just go with the girls he traveled with, because... they are actually his age, and pick from there. Just build him as a normal human, because poor Ash obviously has his own vulnerabilities, and you could even make the girls love him for that.

Here's a cool idea for an Ash/harem fic, Ash gets depressed for something like the death of a loved one like Delia, Oak or even Pikachu and quits battling, his girl companions begin to visit and be there for him and slowly fall in love with poor Ash (while at the same time making sure Ash mainly handles it by himself) and by the end he recovers with the girls by his side and goes back into adventuring.

Ash has only one love in canon: that of pokemon battling. That's why we are glad fanfiction exists.

Edit: Pallet and SatoGou are also popular, but let's be honest, Ash is straight. xD

Last edited: