• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is pokemon 7 gen the least popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been a way for a bit and I come back.. and its kinda dead

did all the OGs grow up and get tired of pokemon :O

is it just a bad game ?

where is everyone :O why so dead!

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
How are you defining this? One forum? Your online experiences in general? From what I can tell gen 7 has sold comparatively to several past gens, though given Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are still relatively new we don't have final figures for them. http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Pokémon

And like every gen there are things people like, and things they don't.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think it’s Gen 5 that has the fan base most divided about in terms of Pokémon designs. You see all sort of complaints about how we have “ice cream Pokémon” and how Garbodor is literally trash and a bad Pokémon even though it can be useful in battle. Several fans say this is when GF ran out of ideas which is far from being true if Gen 7 is any indication. I think USUM didn’t get the widespread enthusiasm they deserve because a majority of players expected it to be just like SM with a few minor changes. They were sort of wrong. Gen 7 was an amazing generation that shook things up a bit with the UBs and Alola Forms and took the story telling aspect to new heights similar to the Unova games.

I love gen 7

but if the lack of chatter is any indication its one of the least popular..

and that sales chart is very interesting.. it shows a downward pattern...

I cant even understand that.. why isnt it the opposite :O pokemon has gotten leaps n bounds better then the originals!

nel3

Crimson Dragon
i have both BW2 games but didnt really put the time into the games to really see how much i liked them properly so the jury is out on them for the time being. i liked gen6 the best and while gen7 has its improvements and its disadvantages id still rank gen6 better than the gen7 games. UM did add the move tutors, ultrawormholes and the battle agency (that i do enjoy playing) but those are the only differences from Sun that sets it apart. my initial enthusiasm from sun died down faster than the enthusiasm when i got/played Pokemon X.

i know every game has different perks but the loss of the D pad make gen7 a bit more annoying to play as i tend to prefer using the D pad for movememt.

Orphalesion

I love gen 7

but if the lack of chatter is any indication its one of the least popular..

Idk about you, but I mostly only come here to chat when a new game has been announced, and I didn't care for USUM so right now there's nothing much to discuss and I check back mostly to see whether there's info on that Switch title that supposed to come out this year (or 2019)

By now I've played a lot of Moon and I loved it, but I feel that for me personally there's not much left to discuss, even with RL friends who are pokemon fans i mostly talk about the games during pre-release periods or in the months after a release when each of us is still exploring the game.

Well I can only speak on my behalf but I personally didn't care too much for Gen 7. That doesn't mean I hated it. But it was a letdown compared to the past 6 gens. I really enjoyed every generation, but 7 had me the least enthused to play. And USUM adds so little to the core S&M games that it's almost not even worth picking up. I have no idea how popular Gen 7 was really but I know it sold really well (as if that was a shocker).

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Well I can only speak on my behalf but I personally didn't care too much for Gen 7. That doesn't mean I hated it. But it was a letdown compared to the past 6 gens. I really enjoyed every generation, but 7 had me the least enthused to play. And USUM adds so little to the core S&M games that it's almost not even worth picking up. I have no idea how popular Gen 7 was really but I know it sold really well (as if that was a shocker).

gen 7 might've received a better review in other countries. all those movies that did poorly or flopped in North America were able to have a better reception in other countries to make up for the losses. every market has its own quirks that determines how well it sells.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I try to keep my complaints about Gen VII brief since it seems like any criticism of Gen VII (or recent Generations in general) is deflected with the term "genwunner." I was hoping that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon would fix some of Gen VII's issues, yet to me the games were as pedestrian as the original Sun and Moon.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
It felt that it wasn't as popular because I believe that X and Y attracted a lot of original players by making the Kanto starters obtainable in those games and that the popularity of Pokémon GO and that it was the 20th anniversary attracted a lot more players and made the game feel more popular than usual. It then felt that there was a lot of hype for Sun and Moon and when it was released, a lot of people tried to rush through the main storyline to get to the postgame. Then the postgame felt like nothing and that's probably what caused the feeling of a drop of popularity of Pokémon. Because USUM is a 'third version', people thought it was going to be too similar to Sun and Moon and probably didn't bother buying it.

JW1004

I doubt gen 7 is the least popular but it is still the current generation and the games are different. The games are far more story driven, which makes them a little more 'heavier'. Which takes a bit from the replay value since afterI completed one of the games, I need to give it a bit of rest to dive back into it again.
I also think the VC releases of R/B/Y and G/S/C and Pokémon Go may been a little overwhelming since those former games are known, and have a big nostalgia and Pokémon Go also fed into the original and 2nd gen of Pokémon.
Also don't forget that the lifespan of the 3DS is at its end, a lot of Pokémon fans are also nintendo fans, I see online atleast and since the Switch is out with loads of amazing games on a complete different console. It might look like gen 7 is a bit overlooked, especially with the lack of backwards compatibility with the (3)DS consoles and the Wii (U)

I think it's just a combination of a lot of things happening all at the same time. I think in a few years people might look back better on it, when it has sunk in and people have time to dive into it when things aren't so overcrowded. I personally also have trouble with completing and focusing on everything, since there is too much out there.

BM14murph

Master Collector
To be perfectly honest, while not the best gen, Gen 7 is pretty damn good in my opinion. I really liked the change up to formula with the trials and collecting Z Crystals is just as fun as collecting badges.

Also judging by products in stores, Gen 7 seems to be the Gen where Pokemon has become mainstream again. Pokémon Go is a big reason but still.

zxr750j

I like the Ultra series much better then the normal S&M. I've made a pokemation-like thing and been very busy shiny hunting. And in this series there are so many shinies to catch!! Gotta catch them all...

xOmgItsMe

Hi there! I just made an account with Serebii so I could interact, but personally I like US&UM as well as S&M. It's different from the other games. And the best part is not having to use TM's and HM's. I'm an OG, here to the bitter end ;)

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I personally think the games are great and there were a lot of neat ideas like Alolan forms and the Ultra Beasts. The main things I saw people salty about though were:

Taking away PSS -> giving us Festival Plaza instead
Battles being "slower" (particularly the HP bar)

Neither of these are deal breakers for me, but I have a feeling this will be my final gen because I'm not getting the switch anytime soon.

Blitz Lucario

In my opinion Generation 7 wasn't that enjoyable because of it's story. Main reasoning being it was more focused on Lilly than the player character. Additionally the introduction of Ultra Space and Ultra Beasts seemed a bit to meta for a Pokemon game.

Orphalesion

Additionally the introduction of Ultra Space and Ultra Beasts seemed a bit to meta for a Pokemon game.

How exactly is an alternate dimension and life forms hailing from said alternate dimension "meta"?

It's a standard trope of science fiction and fantasy...

DanielS

I feel that it's not as popular due to them announcing Gen VIII in between sumo and usum as more people would be interested in a switch game than a game on a system thats on it's last leg

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think the weakest Gen is VI to be honest in terms of region and story. ORAS were remakes of games that were already good and were the highlight along with a Mega Evolutions and the introduction of the Fairy typing of the last Gen. But XY felt incomplete and left way too many unanswered questions such as the whole incident with the Luminose City Ghost Girl or where do the train tracks in Couriway Town go? And then there’s the whole AZ’s Floette being programmed into the games and having it’s own signature move yet never being officially released and the fact that even Gen VII has it programmed into the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.