• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is pokemon 7 gen the least popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

★ Mr. Mime ★

Man of Mystery
IMO i feel like Sun & Moon were designed to be a "vacation" from the norm for Pokemon and that's why they based it off Hawaii which has always been displayed as a vacation destination in mainstream media. Even the SM anime made it feel like that in the beginning so I guess that's why they changed around so many things like eliminating Gym Leaders and such, which most likely contributed to it's lack of popularity among the core fanbase.

It's definitely my least favorite Gen tho (previously 5th), I didn't like most of the new Pokemon, didn't care for the story, didn't find the Trial Challenges or Captains/Kahunas as good replacements for Gym Leaders and Gyms, and overall found it to be the most lackluster out of every Gen. I wouldn't even want remakes of these in the future.

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I hate the term 'grow up' SO much......in my book, no one should have to feel they have to give up pokemon FOREVER. What if we only live ONCE, anyways? Aren't you kind of freaked out over that?!

As for gen 7, its possible it's just too different from the older stuff now. Some people may be confused by that. I admit I am a little. But....meh.....i'll still play the games anyways *shrug* Different is cool.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think USUM didn’t get the widespread enthusiasm they deserve because a majority of players expected it to be just like SM with a few minor changes. They were sort of wrong. Gen 7 was an amazing generation that shook things up a bit with the UBs and Alola Forms and took the story telling aspect to new heights similar to the Unova games.

Um... what? It was the other way around. After 5th gen threw us a curveball with BW2 and 6th gen didn't get a followup at all, everyone expected USUM to feel more like BW2 and it wasn't so the game's been a huge disappointment.

Game Freak's recent development philosophy has been extremely divisive. The newer games have gone in the direction of being casual fests with linear regions, minimal post game content, and low difficulty to pander to mobile gamers, and they've also been phasing gameplay mechanics in and out because "uniqueness". It's not hard to see how that's turning people off. There's still enough people driving sales but enthusiasm for this series is definitely waning.

In USUM's case, it's more because it's really just not all that different from SM, doesn't have much to keep people playing, and because of the Donphan in the room that is the upcoming Switch game which is inevitably going to be a much more impressive game.

Last edited:

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
enthusiasm for this series is definitely waning.
Almost factually incorrect looking at the sales.

OT: If you're looking for an explanation as to why this section isn't exactly bustling; forums in general are on a decline and USUM (as much as I love them) aren't all that different from SM compared to BW2, hence the lack of material to discuss. On top of that, pokémon is played by a much wider audience than represented on serebii, so it's kinda hard to gauge popularity.

From my experience, the current gen always gets the most flack ever since gen 3. I've seen so much hatred for 3,4,5 and 6, and guess what, people were overjoyed when they announced ORAS, are currently begging for DP remakes and singing high praise of gen 5. Surely, you can make a compelling case as to why this gen is the worst, but you can do so for every gen. I'm not concerned for 7's legacy in the slightest, Game Freak knows how to do a Pokémon game.

As someone who doesn't care much for mechanics like the PSS and more about my playthrough experience, Gen 7 has firmly cemented itself as my new favorite. First of all, it has the strongest batch of pokémon designs yet, with many of them having solid concepts with unique abilities and movies, based on their real-life counterparts, which shows a lot of thought went into them. Secondly, they really shook things up compared to last gens, something I can only wish they keep doing with future pokemon games. Last, but certainly not least, Alola is the most fleshed out region yet in my eyes, with the concepts of Alola forms, the Island Challenge and Poké Pelago, but also smaller updates like the many mini-quests, overworld pokémon, more natural battle layout and ingame characters really driving the characterization of Alola as poké-Hawaii home. The entire generation is incredibly coherent and therefore more immersive in my eyes, which makes it my personal favorite, despite the archaic festival plaza or the fact that post-game didn't arrive until USUM.

Xuxuba

Well i didn't bother buying USUM so i can't judge the generation as a whole, but SUMO gotta be one of my least favorite games due to the long unskipable tutorials, the removal of the national dex, the grinding becoming more unbearable, the annoying SOS feature, the boring new mechanics such as Z-moves, the trials that are more boring than gym puzzles (like, i know it's supposed to be innovative and sh** but how is beating a few low leveled wishiwashi better than completing a few puzzles and beating some trainers?), the story that feels more like a cheap family drama than an epic fantasy, the lore that is kind of a confusing clusterf*** and doesn't quite make sense, and the list goes on...

I did like the totem pokemon and the difficulty increase tho.

Anyway, even though it's one of my least favorite, i doubt it's the least popular. From what i've seen on the internet, this generation has a quite large fanbase.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Considering the fact it lacks National Dex and a ton of non-regional Pokemon aren't even available without transferring from Bank, it deserves to be the least popular.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Considering the fact it lacks National Dex and a ton of non-regional Pokemon aren't even available without transferring from Bank, it deserves to be the least popular.

I personally don't think that will make Gen 7 the least popular because I believe there will be something that will make up for it like some of the new Pokémon and characters. But however the exclusion of the National Dex does make me feel less motivated to play these games.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Gen 7 is my favorite generation so far. They had brought back trainer customization and the sheer number of items to collect is well beyond my expectations. Dye shops make my options feel even more expanded. The game's story keeps me busy for much more time than other games had done. Festival Plaza is both useful and enjoyable (though it could use a few bug fixes and perhaps some more activities).

Though my voice is probably semi-irrelevant since I'm into some things that most others don't seem to give a hoothoot about.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
Get ready to dislike every future Pokémon game then. The more new pokémon get introduced, the more transferring is gonna be required and moving the national dex to Bank was a pretty logical move (now we're nearing 800 pokémon) that's not likely to be reversed any time soon.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Get ready to dislike every future Pokémon game then. The more new pokémon get introduced, the more transferring is gonna be required and moving the national dex to Bank was a pretty logical move (now we're nearing 800 pokémon) that's not likely to be reversed any time soon.
Because they can't possibly make non-regional species available through the use of Swarms, Safari Zone or Poke Radar.

Xuxuba

Please no stupid Safari Zone anymore. That stuff is just annoying and frustrating.

Nowadays safari zones are just places where you can catch a bunch of different species, the throwing food/stones mechanic isn't present anymore, so there isn't much to hate about it.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I really enjoy Ultra Sun version so far. I am nearly done with the main story. I have a few Pokemon left to complete the dex, then I will be back to shiny hunting again. I'm quite excited to get back to it.

The lack of reception for these games could be the result of forums in general being less popular than they used to be. I remember a few years ago people used to discuss all kinds of things on message boards, but it seems today other venues are available such as Discord and social media platforms. Don't worry about what other people think. If you like the game, enjoy it.

PsychoIncarnate

There is so many more pokemon I like in gen 7 compared to gen 6.

I have a hard time making a top 10 of gens 6 and 7 but for completely opposite reasons. So many pokemon I like in gen 7 and so few in gen 6. When I think back on it, my team had to include a mega Blastoise to make it exciting. Although the pokemon I like in Gen 6 I do kinda really like. Like Tyrantrum. One disappointing thing with gen 7 is the lack of fossil pokemon. They could have taken fossils from the ocean floor or something. I want a Dunkleosteus fossil pokemon, although some people insist School form Wishiwashi is supposed to be based on Dunkleosteus.

USUM though was a friggin' mess. I knew it was going to be a waste of money and almost didn't get it because of that. I only did get it because I got a good deal on the double pack of both games. I wouldn't have even bothered with it if I didn't like Naganadel and Blacephalon. plus Necrozma kind of makes Solgaleo look better, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.