• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Adventures good as a manga?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
My problem with sun and moon is that add elements of background that inconnected with game lore aka Sun's grandfather thing or a moon's origin that sort hinted of her sister might be a Platinum a Game!Hikara's counterpart ....that feel like Kusaka forgot about little sister that Hikara had if you choose male character Koki .
So do anyone have answer my question about that ?

WaterTypeStarter

Keep in mind, I am not interested in how faithful the manga is to the games. I want to know how it stands as a manga of its own. Like a person who likes manga but is not a fan of Pokemon is not going to care how faithful it is to the games. They only care about how good it is as a manga. That is what I am asking about. How well does Pokemon Adventures stand as a manga. Are the art, story, characters etc good as they are?

Last edited:

Redstar45

Keep in mind, I am not interested in how faithful the manga is to the games. I wnat to know how it stands as a manga of its own. Like a person who likes manga but is not a fan of Pokemon is not going to care how faithful it is to the games. They only care about how good it is as a manga. That is what I am asking about. How well does Pokemon Adventures stand as a manga. Are the art, story, characters etc good as they are?
Art is was strong in gen 1 and early days of gen 2 but once new artists joined....it seems bit off until frlg arc he seem be more comfortable but once he start do digital art ....look bad ...back in oras era

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Keep in mind, I am not interested in how faithful the manga is to the games. I wnat to know how it stands as a manga of its own. Like a person who likes manga but is not a fan of Pokemon is not going to care how faithful it is to the games. They only care about how good it is as a manga. That is what I am asking about. How well does Pokemon Adventures stand as a manga. Are the art, story, characters etc good as they are?
Art can go from amazing to stylish to serviceable to sometimes unnoticeably flat for those who don't look into it that much. Yamamoto is great at putting a lot of detail into large, epic, or even stylish scenes and landscapes that breathe life into the manga and are most likely going to get the most attention, while skipping out in detail in others when long stretches of conversation starts. Smart I think in terms of pacing of the story. As for story, story is good as any other shonen manga I think. It's your standard action-packed stories that appeals to pre-teen audiences, full of memorable moments that you are sure to remember when you put the book down. Some manga readers have even recommended this to JoJo fans to scratch that JoJo itch as a kid-friendly version of JoJo's Bizarre Adventures full of intriguing mystery, fun characters, and of course the out-of-nowhere "I outsmarted your outsmarting" moments that JoJo is famous for. There are some mediocre stories as well, ORAS and other expansion-based chapters which act as sequels to previous arcs come to mind.

As for characters, they are good as any other shonen protagonist but the thing is because the manga refuses to set it's story on one protagonist, you have tons and tons of protagonists to choose from and discuss which ones you believe to be great and which ones you believe to be just terrible similar to JoJo's Bizarre Adventures where back than, a lot of people thought Josuke was awesome but thought Giorno was mediocre as frick but in the end, it didn't harm the reputation of the manga's love for mystery and compelling storytelling.

Redstar45

"I outsmarted your outsmarting" moments
Okay sometime i love that ....not always times ...you know ? I like how kusaka used bill save the days in gen 2 it feels like late pokeman anime used human save the days in the films....human willpower ? Gen 3 film.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Good ? Sure, but a best of best ? Nope i just feel it just good manga that it.....
Thank for warned me but i dont need it @shoz999 i am fine without it and you refused to be critical of Kusaka 's writing skills at all not once you point it out to others .....sorry if i sound jerk to you but i'm so sick of you critical of anime for stay fathfu to the ames when you seem be okay with kusaka doing same thing !?

Ease on the drama, but yeah it is pretty hypocritical to be overly critical of one thing and to blindly praise the thing you like as if it was a gift from god, when it's guilty of the same stuff you criticized one work on.

Always be critical on everything, but see the good that something brings unless that thing does something so morally wrong you can't over look it.

For example, I liked all the features and call backs in Crown Tundra, but I'm a bit livid that Sonia got hyped up for a boring side quest instead of being a semi major player like Hop was towards the end of Armor's campaign and I wasn't a fan of how the new regi's got a move pool to make Lilligant blush.

But I already thought of a couple ways to make the Regi's work and that side quest of Sonia's leads to a spoiler of a catch.

WaterTypeStarter

Once again this post has nothing to do with the games or anime or how faithful the manga is to the games. It is about whether the Adventures manga will appeal to MANGA FANS. Not fans of the source material. And no comparison with the anime either. If you are going to make a comparison, compare it to a mainstream manga (one poster compared it a bit to Demon Slayer, so thanks to them for sticking to my question). I want to know how good it is as a manga, not a Pokemon thing. Stop hijacking my post. Any more mentions of the games or anime and I might take action against anyone who mentions either again.

Last edited:

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Once again this post has nothing to do with the games or anime or how faithful the manga is to the games. It is about whether the Adventures manga will appeal to MANGA FANS. Not fans of the source material. And no comparison with the anime either. If you are going to make a comparison, compare it to a mainstream manga (one poster compared it a bit to Demon Slayer, so thanks to them for sticking to my question). I want to know how good it is as a manga, not a Pokemon thing. Stop hijacking my post. Any more mentions of the games or anime and I might take action against anyone who mentions either again.

The Poke Sp Manga IS an adaptation of the game. You can't really talk about the Manga on its own without addressing what the games or it's other adaptation, the anime, has done with the source material.

I guess it's good as far as Manga's go, but you need to be a pokemon fan. No if's or butts. If you're upset about that, welcome to the territory.

Last edited:

Redstar45

I know but i am say it is okay manga not greatest of the world not bad @WaterTypeStarter

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The original poster is asking, without the nostalgia and love towards the games, how good would Pokespe be to a manga reader who doesn't care for Pokemon games but still enjoys reading manga of all kinds for good stories, art and characters.

Basically, come into this thread not necessarily as a pokemon fan but as a manga fan who has loves the stories, action, humor, art and characters of stuff like Demon Slayer, JoJo, or Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Question: Does the OP mean:

“Is Pokemon Special a good manga for someone with little knowledge of Pokemon?”

Or

“Is Pokemon Special a good manga even if one dislikes Pokemon?”

WaterTypeStarter

Question: Does the OP mean:

“Is Pokemon Special a good manga for someone with little knowledge of Pokemon?”

Or

“Is Pokemon Special a good manga even if one dislikes Pokemon?”
The former more like, though the latter also qualifies. Though I really mean if it is a good manga in general that can stand on its own.

Redstar45

The former more like, though the latter also qualifies. Though I really mean if it is a good manga in general that can stand on its own.
Then yes it can stand as own .

CyberBlaziken

A Greater Evil
For me, personally, it progressively got less interesting. Mostly due to the fact of the ever-changing protagonists.
But yes, on it's own, it's pretty decent.

I picked it up at a time I had no idea any sort of manga existed for Pokemon outside of the Electric Tale of Pikachu, and while that was a good series too, Adventures held up on its end of the bargain.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
BW was a fine reading all through, but I'd say I like more the games' story in this case.
Personally, I think a good BW alternative to Adventures is Ky-nim's comic Myths of Unova. While most nuzlocke's comics I've seen can be kind of cringy, this one has a strong consistent plot, does a good job at expanding the lore of the Unova region, & know how to handle an OP character without making them look like a Mary Sue

As for Adventures as a whole, the Kanto & Johto arcs are great while everything else has either been meh or a hot mess. There are still some sagas I liked such as BW & RS (plus SWSH is doing good so far), but they're only really memorable for a few scenes or characters while most of the time the storylines are just ok. Later arcs such as BW2, SM, & XY have a habit of starting off strong but then go completely off the rails in terms of story and characters, that by the time they end they feel like rushed dumpster fires.

If anything, the two things I consistently love about Adventures are the personalities it gives the protagonists and how the Kanto gym leaders were (at least to me) written better here than they were in the anime with the only exceptions being Brock & maybe Misty.

While I hate to sound like a Genwunner, I honestly think the Kanto arc is the best story in Adventures. It has a strong, consistent story, features memorable characters through the protagonists and the gym leaders, make Team Rocket feel like an actual threat while sticking to the motif of genetic engineering, & does a great way to visually bring the world of Red & Blue to life through minor details like the buildings and the environments. It honestly feels more like an adaptation of Red & Blue than the anime or the side series, while also feeling like classic films like ET or The Goonies.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
I think it's solid, but there came a point somewhere between the Platinum chapter and Black and White chapter where I lost interest. There wasn't any particular disappointment that I had with the manga: I think I just sort of outgrew it and never got back into it, although I've skimmed through some chapter summaries from the newer arcs.

ellifeedn

Thinker
The characterization of every cast for each part is usually great and is often the best part; the action is decent and well thought out, for the most part; the worst aspect would have to be the pacing. The earlier parts had decent pacing and managed to tell a coherent story, but due to certain publishing problems it got worse as time went on, often having to rush through story beats to get to the end before moving on to the next part.

Ku-ri-boh

At first i hate idea of zunkan owners and evil rocket gangs gym leaders and sinteno and champion but now i like them but i wish manga did better job to redeem evil gym leaders and Watru and his four trainers .
Im sorry but if you want to insist in using the japanese names and japanese terms, could you at least be consistent about it and actually spell them right?

It's a pain trying to figure out what you are even talking about when not even japanese fans can understand you.

That said, no, it actually isn't a very good manga. It was okay when the series first started, but since then the writers have gotten way too stiff in trying their hardest with implementing game mechanics into the plot or battle choreography. The anime literally has flashier fights than the manga, but of course it's mocked for "not making sense according to game mechanic". Being too faithful makes for very awkward writing which non-fans aren't even able to appreciate for obvious reasons.

Redstar45

Im sorry but if you want to insist in using the japanese names and japanese terms, could you at least be consistent about it and actually spell them right?

It's a pain trying to figure out what you are even talking about when not even japanese fans can understand you.

That said, no, it actually isn't a very good manga. It was okay when the series first started, but since then the writers have gotten way too stiff in trying their hardest with implementing game mechanics into the plot or battle choreography. The anime literally has flashier fights than the manga, but of course it's mocked for "not making sense according to game mechanic". Being too faithful makes for very awkward writing which non-fans aren't even able to appreciate for obvious reasons.
Look, i'm try to be respected toward the Japanese culture and their named and looks, i am not perfect and i am know that i not always going to be get them right ok ?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Look, i'm try to be respected toward the Japanese culture and their named and looks, i am not perfect and i am know that i not always going to be get them right ok ?
I understand being respectful towards their culture but my misspelling Japanese names and terms you aren't doing it a favour, if you aren't Japanese it's okay to use English terms for the stuff, that isn't disrespectful. Incorrectly using Japanese terms could be disrespectful