1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is Pokemon encouraging/perpetuating genwunner-ism with recent releases (even if unintentional)?

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by SWMegaFan, Jul 30, 2018.

1. SWMegaFan

SWMegaFan Active Member

I’ve been thinking about this lately since the news about Pokemon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee was revealed to us (though to be honest, I’ve had this thought in my mind since the 1st Gen 7 games (SM) due to some Kanto Pokemon getting Alolan forms & only those from Gen 1, plus the fact that the main character moved from Kanto).

Maybe it’s not something intentional by The Pokemon Company (TPC) but considering how these upcoming games are only going to feature the Kanto region & both essentially are a remake of Pokemon Yellow, one can’t help but have this feeling that there is some genwunner pandering going on; it’s as if purists are being catered to at the moment due to focus being repeatedly put on Kanto & Gen 1 Pokemon.

Am I wrong on this? Or am I justified in feeling this way? Curious what others here think on this.

Edit: some people may defend this “tactic” by TPC by playing the nostalgia card, & stating that nostalgia is a big thing nowadays based on seeing what other IP’s are doing (& that TPC would be stupid not to cash in on nostalgia). That said, I seriously doubt that the large base of Pokemon fans, many of whom are younger fans, care for this as they don’t really feel nostalgic about Gen 1 & Kanto (& overall the Gen 1 games that came out) since they weren’t around in the beginning to play the 1st iteration of Pokemon games.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

Perhaps they want to feed the older fans and introduce the "original" game to younger people using technology of today. Focusing on the future doesn't mean we should simply abandon the past, I think Kanto and the original story still have their value even while it would be super boring to repeat the same old story over and over again if other options are available. I think Game Freak would also undermine their all efforts regarding to newer generations selling and being popular, if they "encouraged" such things as genwunnerism, but that's my interpretation of it. Genwunner is a community-created label (or more like an insult towards people who prefer the first gen above all) and the only thing which can actually encourage it, is the community itself by interpreting Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee stuff as such.
    If there's one big imbalance between all generations, look how they left story unfinished in XY and that was probably because of ORAS not because of remakes of Kanto-based games. And we still haven't been able to return to Sinnoh and Unova at all, while we could return to Johto between the time when DPP and BW were released. Hoenn and Kanto have received their more than fair share of love tho, so there I could see your point, we need more stuff for other gens too.

3. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

I see no problem with this at all. Gen 1 cameos are a bit irritating when they overshadow new elements - the Gen 1 Megas in XY were by far the worst offenders - but for a standalone game introducing new, potentially risky mechanics, it seems obvious to go for the oldest, most well-loved and instantly recognisable setting and range of species.

4. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Frank/Sam/Porkins F3

"Genwunner pandering" isn't a thing lol. If anything it's just a scapegoat for people who don't like Gen I to blame when the games focus heavily on the Kanto region. The games are for kids, also known as people who weren't alive during Gen I. I'd be surprised if "genwunners" were a large enough amount of their customers that would be worth pandering to. People who hate every generation after the first are just a vocal minority. Why would GF need to pander to such a small amount of their customers?

The fact is Kanto has had a big part in every generation since the beginning. This isn't a new thing that started recently. It's just what they've done for years.

- Gen II had the Johto games which had the player travel to Kanto
    - Gen III had Kanto remakes
    - Gen IV had Johto remakes, which again had the player travel to Kanto
    - Gen V had a lot of pokemon clearly inspired by pokemon from Gen I, for example Foongus looking like a pokeball, the common bird being a pigeon again, among others
    - Gen VI gave you a Kanto starter early in the Kalos game and gave a lot of Gen I pokemon mega evolutions.

Auraninja and BCVM22 like this.
  5. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

Genwunners wouldn't care about remakes like FRLG and Let's GO, nor would they care about Alolan forms or nods from other games.

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

"Can fundamentalist behavior actually be excused if you try and shift the blame elsewhere?"

In Pokémon as in life, the answer is always no.

Ducolamia likes this.
  7. AuroraBeam

AuroraBeam Well-Known Member

I think the people I would actually unironically call "genwunners" would be the kind to snidely refuse to touch anything that isn't RBY regardless of how much Gen 1 throwback is hypothetically given in modern gens. The people who grew out of pokemon around gen 1/2 but still have nostalgia about them but are overall neutral or disinterested in everything afterwards are not genwunners by default to me.

That being said, I don't think what is being done now is causing an increase in genwunners. At most it might make people who are already what I would call "genwunners" get a weird superiority complex over Gen 1 being referenced more often but actual genwunners are already smug about their opinions to begin with.

8. SWMegaFan

SWMegaFan Active Member

My understanding of how a genwunner is defined as is someone who thinks that Gen 1 (& sometimes Gen 2 as well) is the best & that all other Gens suck , thinking that Gen 1 is perfect & flawless (the Pokemon, the games, etc).

This is not to be confused with someone who merely has Gen 1 as their favorite (and even then, these folks know that Gen 1 has flaws & imperfections, just like all the other Gens do as well, as, for example, not all Pokemon are “slam dunks” in each Gen); genwunners however have a more arrogant attitude & will put others down that don’t think like them in regards to Gen 1 , versus the former group who respects others having a different opinion about Gen 1 if they don’t have it as their favorite Gen.

9. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

I might be pulling this conversation to sidetracks but I can't even take this genwunner thing seriously anymore. *creates an alt account, says anything a "genwunner" would, looks how many people would be shocked, laughs at drama resulted from his meaningless argument, returns to his main account and lives as if nothing happened* There's your genwunners, internet! :p

Leonhart and Scammel like this.
  10. Spider-Phoenix

Spider-Phoenix Go, Go Power Rangers

I think this push for Gen I is intentional because they feel it'll appeal the older crowd and earn them more bucks. After all hardcore pokémon players/fans will buy the new game regardless of anything lol

11. Litleonid

Litleonid Well-Known Member

Gen II: We get to visit Kanto in the post game.
    Gen III: Kanto gets remakes.
    Gen IV: We get to visit Kanto in the post game of the Gen II remakes.
    Gen V: Not many
    Gen VI: You get a Kanto starter at the start of the game. Many Kanto Pokemon can be found in Kalos. Many Kanto Pokemon also get Mega Evolutions.
    Gen VII: Tons of Kanto references through the story. Only Kanto Pokemon get Alolan forms. The Kantonian Gym. Red and Blue return as the heads of the Battle Tree, with the Battle Legend title. We also get a 2nd Kanto remake with only the original 151 and no Johto.

Just throwing this out there.

12. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Whether you like to admit it or not Kanto has influence over every generation and region in some way. Ironically Kanto is probably one of the most boring regions on its own, so why?

Kanto has

- Debateably the best starters. Charizard being an icon.

- The peak of Pokémon design seemed to be Gen I-Gen III of which Kanto happened to be featured 3 times in 3 different generations.

- Kanto was around the most and the longest. Kanto was in every generation until Gen V mind you, which has given it significantly more time to define its culture as a region than others.

- The most iconic/memorable Gym leaders.

- Kanto was also the peak for the anime, so naturally a certain “prestige factor” is considered when talking about Gen I Pokemon. Team Rocket being in the games and the anime was also a big deal. When you fought Misty and Brock it felt like you were actually fighting them.

- The region while being barebones is exactly what a Pokémon adventure should be; it what’s you make of it. Kanto being so barebones really allowed for the player to create his/her own story. Kanto really felt like that.

- The first region to have walking Pokémon, the second to show it off on the DS

Overall every time Kanto is involved Pokémon and Gamefreak is either dominating or justifying a new core regions introduction into the series:
    RBY - Initial boom
    GSC - Peak of Pokémon
    Gen III - Hoenn, but here’s Kanto just in case
    Gen IV - Sinnoh, here’s Kanto just in case (Slow gen)
    Gen V - No explaining needed. Units was struggling until Kanto came through in BW2 with PWT and it’s wild battles.
    Gen 6 - To introduce us to Megas we are given a Kanto starter. Kalos is pretty much Kantos little brother in terms of similarity too.
    Gen 7 - Even USUM has a Kanto building and tons of Kanto themes.

It may seem like I’m shilling hard for Kanto (I’m not) but Kanto simply runs this franchise culturally. GF has very intricately placed Kanto as the dominating region. GF has made it clear that Pokémon always was Kanto and friends.

13. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

I noticed a lot of pandering in recent generations of the main games. For example only Kanto Pokémon got Alolan forms in S/M. I know it’s probably unintentional but it’s still kind of makes my eyes roll.

14. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I'd say no, since every inclusion of Kanto was always bound to the criteria of that generation.

Even with Let's GO, despite it being a remake of Yellow, it still carries mechanics and concepts from Gen 7, as well as previous gens. Game Freak is aware of the impact Gen I has on the fandom, and they are willing to exploit express that impact whenever possible. And it's not like they're completely ignoring newer gens in exchange for beating the heck out of a dead horse. I mean, we're about to be on Gen 8 for Pete's sake!

Generally speaking, at the end of the day if you don't like the game, just skip it. And if you've become disenchanted with the way Game Freak has been doing things, that's totally okay. Just don't ruin it for the rest of us.

15. Ignition

Ignition Meltan is the only good aspect of LGPE

Pokémon is exploiting the magnet that is Gen 1 quite effectively. As much as I'm not a fan of it, I completely understand why they do the pandering.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I think genwunners have been "replaced" by Gen 5 fans. It's irony at its finest

16. ((JAWS))

((JAWS)) Johto Boy

Definitely not unintentional. Gamefreak is a business at the end of the day and will do whatever it takes to appeal to its fans to stay afloat.

17. Pokemon Power

Pokemon Power Well-Known Member

Since the Kanto region and the original 151 Pokemon were there since the very beginning, they are the most recognizable to both long-time fans, and people who have only heard about it. Plus, Kanto's a good place to get started for new players.

18. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Fact is Kanto's the beginning of the Pokemon series and contains some of the most recognizable Pokemon. It's the place that many of us started this lifelong adventure.

After 22 years I suppose it was inevitable we'd return to Kanto in Let's Go. With its official announcement back in May I wasn't happy because after all these years I'm tired of Kanto. I'd rather continue this lifelong adventure by moving forward to explore new regions, not backwards by revisiting old ones again and again.

But fact is I'm only one person in this large fandom. I have no control over the choices the developers make.

19. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Why would you say they've been replaced by Gen 5 fans?

20. Ignition

Ignition Meltan is the only good aspect of LGPE

Gen 5 used to be the underdog of the series due to meeting immediate criticism for being secluded from its 4 predecessors and controversial designs. Now it's easily one of the most overrated Pokemon games. The fans (obviously not every person who's a fan of Unova) are all for preaching about the "disgrace" that is Gen 1 and using that to make Unova feel Serperior superior. Everything they bashed Genwunners for is reflected in their section of the fanbase

NanoMoltres likes this.