• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon encouraging/perpetuating genwunner-ism with recent releases (even if unintentional)?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kutie Pie said:
I feel a lot of the Gen I "pandering" by Nintendo/GAME FREAK is the same reason as to why it is Toei/Bandai has been pushing the first Digimon series as of late: Its popularity makes them the most money. That's all that matters to them at the end of the day.

I feel like Pokemon has taken the nostalgia spree too far compared to Digimon, however. Digimon is practically dead outside of Asia, so that franchise pandering to what little fanbase it has left isn't quite so detrimental since there are less fans to pander to. Meanwhile Pokemon's fanbase is larger, and I feel like the Gen I nostalgia focuses on targeting older fans while somewhat neglecting younger fans who might not fully appreciate that era of the franchise since they didn't even exist when Gen I started. It also neglects those of us who'd rather see Game Freak focus more on designing new Pokemon and new features.

BCVM22

and I feel like the Gen I nostalgia focuses on targeting older fans while somewhat neglecting younger fans who might not fully appreciate that era of the franchise since they didn't even exist when Gen I started

But if there are younger fans who didn't exist during the original Generation I, then the Kanto region is new and unique to them, isn't it? An 8-year-old here in 2018 was born in 2010 and has very likely never experienced the Kanto region in a headlining turn (1998, 2004) or as the back half of the Johto template (2000, 2009/2010).

So what's for them to not "fully appreciate"? It's new to them.

It also neglects those of us who'd rather see Game Freak focus more on designing new Pokemon and new features.

You are never, ever being denied one for the other. You're getting LGP/E and all of the new Pokémon and everything else that will come with Generation VIII. It is always "and" - never "or."

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
But if there are younger fans who didn't exist during the original Generation I, then the Kanto region is new and unique to them, isn't it? An 8-year-old here in 2018 was born in 2010 and has very likely never experienced the Kanto region in a headlining turn (1998, 2004) or as the back half of the Johto template (2000, 2009/2010).

So what's for them to not "fully appreciate"? It's new to them.

You are never, ever being denied one for the other. You're getting LGP/E and all of the new Pokémon and everything else that will come with Generation VIII. It is always "and" - never "or."

Considering we've had 4 generations of being able to travel through/to Kanto, I wouldn't say it's unlikely that younger fans have experienced Gen 1. Especially considering how common things like emulators are becoming

BCVM22

Considering we've had 4 generations of being able to travel through/to Kanto, I wouldn't say it's unlikely that younger fans have experienced Gen 1.

I would absolutely say it's unlikely. I provided a reasonable timeline as to why it's unlikely. Here it is again, for anyone who missed it.

An 8-year-old here in 2018 was born in 2010 and has very likely never experienced the Kanto region in a headlining turn (1998, 2004) or as the back half of the Johto template (2000, 2009/2010).

MAYBE little Timmy, born in 2010, who got his first 3DS in 2016, went and came across a six- or seven-year-old secondhand copy of HG/SS and knows Kanto to some degree that way? But I would argue if a current kid has experienced Kanto, it was through the Generation I Virtual Console release, and both of those are so different from what LGP/E are that it's a quantum leap between the two.

So again, this case of the hypothetical kid who "can't appreciate Kanto" because they weren't around in 1998 doesn't hold up to much scrutiny.

It's very easy for those of us who have been playing since 1998 to forget (or sometimes simply ignore) that we've been playing since 1998, and that there are younger gamers out there whose experience with the franchise is but a small window compared to ours. And if their Pokémon window only started at a certain year, then yes, there are whole regions they've never experienced in any way.

Sinnoh is one of those regions right now, having not appeared in a game in any form in a decade. We accept this, and yet somehow when it comes to Kanto, which hasn't headlined a game since 2004 and hasn't appeared in any form since 2009/2010 - nearly a decade ago - certain people are content to say "no, everyone today knows Kanto, this is too much."

Especially considering how common things like emulators are becoming

I don't care in the slightest "how common things like emulators are becoming" because emulators don't belong in polite conversation, and I guarantee you Game Freak didn't factor that into LGP/E's calculus.

If you're going to try and quantify what someone has experienced in an emulator, you might as well never release any kind of remake or port ever again, because some numpty somewhere still thinks it's cool to not pay for entertainment.

Last edited:

Ignition

I don't care in the slightest "how common things like emulators are becoming" because emulators don't belong in polite conversation, and I guarantee you Game Freak didn't factor that into LGP/E's calculus.

If you're going to try and quantify what someone has experienced in an emulator, you might as well never release any kind of remake or port ever again, because some numpty somewhere still thinks it's cool to not pay for entertainment.
Missed my point. I never said anything emulator was enough of a reason not to buy LGPE or if it had any relations to the game. I'm saying it's not unlikely someone could've picked on up (especially considering they may watch Pokémon YouTubers). I didn't ask if you cared as I'm merely giving a likely situation to how they've been exposed to Kanto. I'm not going to argue the ethics of such because it doesn't take away from how younger fans may have experienced the game. Ignoring an issue doesn't take away the impact it has.

Timeline doesn't do anything for my stance but thanks ig

BCVM22

And even if they HAVE been exposed to Kanto by playing or watching emulated Generation I games, again, that's night and day from the experience that LGP/E offer.

Ignition

Still gives them previous knowledge of Kanto so they'll have somr insight on the region, Pokémon, and overall feel to the game. LGPE doesn't look different to the point where you'd be shocked by the sheer amount of changes to the region/plot. Only new thing is a different rival and added past features like Megas, following Pokémon, & character customization.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
We don't know everything that is different in the game, though. It hasn't come out.

Denko Sekka

I like Kanto alot but even I can't consider myself a genwunner right now because the Kanto craze has gone so overboard with too much saturation. I need a break from it all which is why I'm not gonna bother playing Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Explorer7

I think pokemon is trying to remake Gen 1 at the moment because shows like the simpsons and south park were making fun of pikachu and charizard, so pokemon has to fight back by giving them new more powerful forms to scare off those shows. Therefore I think pokemon is pandering but onl to stand up for itself, you know?

Ignition

I think pokemon is trying to remake Gen 1 at the moment because shows like the simpsons and south park were making fun of pikachu and charizard, so pokemon has to fight back by giving them new more powerful forms to scare off those shows. Therefore I think pokemon is pandering but onl to stand up for itself, you know?
Only issue is that's been a thing for a while with many shows for a while. Plus Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise so I don't think a few jobs are going to matter

Explorer7

Only issue is that's been a thing for a while with many shows for a while. Plus Pokémon is the highest grossing franchise so I don't think a few jobs are going to matter

maybe they are just getting so sick of it? These shows are basically bullying them and they have to get them back. just because they have a lot of money doesnt mean they have feelings. The longer bullying goes on, the more it affects the person/corporation that is the victim.

Ignition

maybe they are just getting so sick of it? These shows are basically bullying them and they have to get them back. just because they have a lot of money doesnt mean they have feelings. The longer bullying goes on, the more it affects the person/corporation that is the victim.
It's not bullying. It's a playful joke. They of course have the "right" but they're not being impacted by it.

Explorer7

It's not bullying. It's a playful joke. They of course have the "right" but they're not being impacted by it.

Well it could affect them. For example, if south park said "everyone who plays with a pokemon game is a stupid shitty baby" then people who watched that episode might never buy any more pokemon games. Then pokemon would lose all their money.

Ignition

Well it could affect them. For example, if south park said "everyone who plays with a pokemon game is a stupid shitty baby" then people who watched that episode might never buy any more pokemon games. Then pokemon would lose all their money.
You're overestimating the influence of that quote. Pokémon has been given flak since the noticeable craze of Pokémon stopped in Gen 3. South Park is a show that makes fun of everything. There are going to be people who buy games regardless of other's opinions. If the fact that Pokemon's impressive economical footing doesn't tell you that, I don't know what will