• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is pokemon getting easier

Leo The Lucario

I started to ask myself if the pokemon games are getting eaier to beat. Pokemon blue is soooooo much harder then pokemon pearl.
So is it true????

BCVM22

Not really. Deeper and slightly more complex, maybe, but not more difficult to any appreciable degree.

Must just be you.

MySiameseTwin

Not really. Deeper and slightly more complex, maybe, but not more difficult to any appreciable degree.

Must just be you.

I agree. If anything, I think they might be getting harder as they go just for the fact that there's a lot more to do in the later generations than the originals. What with breeding, and poffins, and trade-only pokemon and such?

And with every new generation, that just means there's easily a hundred more pokemon you have to get to complete a neverending collection in the next game that takes even longer to achieve.

XDbonsly

Bonsly lover 4 life!
Its not that they're easier, its just that you don't have to go through the safari zone an undetermined amount of times to get, what was it, 2 HMs? That and the fact the games actually of some type of sense to them. Remember Wrap in the 1st Gen?
Yea, I guess the broken gameplay is to blame.

Nope, they are purposefully making it harder:
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...-And-More.html

G4: Many people erroneously think that Pokemon games are just for children, but there are many complex features in the game like IVs, EV training, Hidden Power, and more. How did these features come about?

JM: The reason why we put things like IVs and EVs into the game is because we wanted to give players that are really into Pokemon battles much more to work with and much more to enjoy. We have a team that's dedicated to constantly enhancing and evolving the battle system. They have so many ideas and such a willingness to enhance the game. They're always thinking of ways to make battles more interesting. One example from this generation is that they separated moves into physical attacks and special attacks, which adds more versatility and strategy to both offense and defense. They always listen to player feedback and they battle a lot themselves. This team is the reason why Pokemon has such a rich battle system that's always evolving.

G4: Some G4 readers dismiss Pokemon as being just for kids. Do you have a message for them? Anything that might attract them to the game?

TK: I recommend that your readers try Battle Frontier in Pokemon Platinum. Although you can battle trainers and wild Pokemon in the storyline, Battle Frontier is the ultimate place for battling -- the place where people can enjoy the complexity of battles the most. One of the more complex parts of the game is raising Pokemon for battling, like you mentioned with IVs and EVs. Battle Frontier is the best place to enjoy that high level of battling and get the most out of the Pokemon you train.

Back in the old day (Red/Blue), if you had a good Mewtwo, you ruled the school. Then it was Lugia, then it was T-Tar. Now I regularly beat all those guys on PBR with UU/NU pokes, because the Metagame has become so insanely complex.

Dunsparce Man

King of Dunsparce
Guys, I think the person means is the game getting easier to get past the elite four. If that is, then yes, it is getting easier. Since you get a ton of ubers to help you beat the game it makes it too easy. I beat Pearl faster than any other game. Even Ruby!

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Red and Blue had exponentially high leveled trainers. Training your Pokemon in victory road didn't yield a whole lot of experience if your Pokemon weren't already at high enough levels.

Diamond and Pearl had relatively lower levels, not to mention more trainers, as well as being able to rebattle them.

I suppose it may have been harder depending on how you played the game.

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
Ummm...not really? Johto & Kanto we're really easy, especially Johto. IMO, Hoenn was the toughest though.

Madness

I has a hat
If you really think about it, perhaps it's just easier nowadays because we have more guides and "How-to-dos" on everything, which would lead to everyone knowing which pokemon they can catch which would make the game basically easy-mode. Serebii itself has some Pokemon of the Week guides, showing how to raise your Pokemon and good stuff to give it to make it it's strongest.

Plus, the only guides back then were really just magazines and shiz you bought at the store, which told you how to do everything as well. Today, these guides are rather useless, seeing as there are video guides, let's plays, typed out guides, and basically anything you can use to your advantage.

mech king1

Fire trainer
i agree with the above post, there are so many pokemon guide out now, and back in the days of blue, red and yellow the most guides were word to word rumours and such. although you can't exactly say if something is easy or hard in these sorts of games because its not a hard type of game as it depends how you want to play it.

EspeonMaster

The Legend Of Dawn
No.Definitely not.
You think that they are getting easier cause you are growing up.

mech king1

Fire trainer
No.Definitely not.

and the fact that is so much easier if someone somehow gets stuck with something to get help with.
although if you say its not getting easier. its definately not getting harder.

Oh! Whoops! I get it now! What I meant was that battling wasn't getting any easier because it's way more complex now. Battling is 99% of pokemon for me personally. The actual game is like..."meh" I see what y'all were saying though.

UmbreonLord

5th Gen OU
It would probably be difficult completing Diamond or Platinum if it was your first Pokemon game, but if you played the 2nd gen or the 1st gen, or even the 3rd, the game should be pretty easy for you.

Ryonai

Shouro's employee
No.Definitely not.

Damn, I was going to post exactly that. Those moving walkway mazes at Red/Blue were so lousy when I was 12. ;munchlax;

Sasori-Hebi

Dragon Trainer
If you really think about it, perhaps it's just easier nowadays because we have more guides and "How-to-dos" on everything, which would lead to everyone knowing which pokemon they can catch which would make the game basically easy-mode. Serebii itself has some Pokemon of the Week guides, showing how to raise your Pokemon and good stuff to give it to make it it's strongest.

Plus, the only guides back then were really just magazines and shiz you bought at the store, which told you how to do everything as well. Today, these guides are rather useless, seeing as there are video guides, let's plays, typed out guides, and basically anything you can use to your advantage.

I agree with this person! There are a lot of guides to do everything. It's not particularly a bad thing though, I've often looked up the internet when I got stuck! ;444;

Blivsey

DATA_ERROR
I don't think that it's getting easier. It just seems like it to many of us because we're used to how the game works, so we know how to perform well in it. in a sense, we've done this all before. On the other hand, for people just coming in to the game, I'm sure that they're having as much trouble as we did when we were just starting out.

Oh, and online guides are more and more readily available, so in a sense, yes, they are becoming easier.

misunderstoodhero

it's probably because you know how to play the game properly now. I used to be a stupid kid on pokemon blue, raising only my charizard and wondering why this game was so hard. :) i would say the difficulty to beat the elite four has remained the same. sure, the gym leaders/elite four/the champion have lower level pokemon but they counter super effective types. for example, send out a water type against flint's magmortor and he'll use thunderbolt. as for online battling, i wouldn't know as my DS isn't online :(