• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snivy Link

My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?

Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I've been playing since I was 4 or 5 and I'm cool with it. They're not 'ruining' my memories of pokemon. Infact sometimes it blows my mind with what they think of next XD lol

Navarch

Generation 1 Enthusists would say that. In my honest opinion, I think the designs are getting better, but the Pokemon are lagging a bit. Many Gen V pokemon are pretty bad in my opinion, but have cool desings (i.e. Liepard, Klinklang, Zebstrika, Heatmor, ect.)

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I've been playing since I was young and I still love the series, it definately hasn't "ruined" any of my memories of it.

now i think they are just doing the banjo kazooie thing putting eyes on everything to make it a character or creature. i have heard some people say that the reason some pokemon look alike to older pokemon is that the new regions have thier own verison of pokemon like there are of animals in the real world.

i go to many conventions and i see characters i don't reconize at photoshoots, if anime cons where like comic cons i think there would be more cosplayers from the first series or the next ones after. its sad that kids today will not know of the red and blue versions and the other things that made pokemon great in its golden age.

Skyhi101

Pokemon isn't dead, been playing since I was 3, still playing now at 16.

That's actually an interesting question. The way I see it, Pokemon started out as weird, remained weird through generation 5, and when they finally decide to close up shop, it will end weird. It's a game about funny-looking animals with superpowers that live inside balls that are bigger than they really are and are controlled by 10 year olds to fight each other for money, which is somehow not frowned upon, and these 10 year olds end up beating crime bosses and world class champions.

As far as the fusion stuff, fusion-ish phenomenon have existed in Pokemon ever since generation one. Dugtrio are a band of Diglett, Magneton are three fused Magnemite, and there's apparently even a fusion sort of thing going on with Slowpoke and Shellder to make Slowbro. You also have things like Slowking, the Metagross line, and Mantine in later generations, each of which are fusion related in some form or fashion. The only real difference here with Kyurem is that you can actually fuse and diffuse the Pokemon in question.

Hoss

no, I have been playing since yellow :| back in 99.

The series has been dead since gen 1 (for me anyway) ..Games are still great though

zozo

SLIMED!
Is Pokemon GETTING weird? I'm sorry, but that bus left the depot on day 1 when we were trying to soothe the ghost of a skull-wearing bone-wielding mama lizard caveman thing to reach the top of a tower, catching useless fish that evolved into flying serpentine dragon critters, and saving Lostelle from a Hypno that "wouldn't stop scaring!!!"

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see how all that ISN'T weird compared to fusing two Pokemon together.

It sounds like your friend outgrew/is outgrowing the franchise, plain and simple. It happens to lots of people, but not to everyone. And many of the people who do outgrow the game state similar garbage rationalizations, without really giving the games a fair chance. They're just not into it anymore and they blame the games rather than their own growth for that.

But no, as you can see, not all loyal fans are the same and not all outgrow the game, and thus, I totally disagree with your friend. I've been in on the franchise for... 7 years I guess. Not as long as many other people I know, but I got started much later. Only in Gen III. And I'm not about to quit anytime soon. Too many fun things, too many fun designs, too many new strategies to try, and too many variations I can make on both old and new games for me to be ready to quit, or to have the series end on me! n_n

Last edited:

voicerocker

Platinum Master
My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem.

First, I would explain to him that Kyurem is not "fusing" with the other Pokemon, more like absorbing them. It might be similar and yes 2 Pokemon do become one, but there is a difference. Plus, you catch these Pokemon in their separate forms and do not have to fuse them if you wish, and you can undone the fusion if you don't like it. But it is not true fusion.

He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?

What would ruin the legacy would be canceling it because it is one of the most popular video game franchises in the world right now, so there is no real reason for it to end unless Game Freak just decides they are done...which I HIGHLY doubt.

And the part about veteran players, well my first game was Yellow and I'm still in, so I've been playing for a good while. I'm also planning to buy White 2 the day it hits the US, so you should tell your cousin he is wrong.

Last edited:

Snivy Link

As far as the fusion stuff, fusion-ish phenomenon have existed in Pokemon ever since generation one. Dugtrio are a band of Diglett, Magneton are three fused Magnemite, and there's apparently even a fusion sort of thing going on with Slowpoke and Shellder to make Slowbro. You also have things like Slowking, the Metagross line, and Mantine in later generations, each of which are fusion related in some form or fashion. The only real difference here with Kyurem is that you can actually fuse and diffuse the Pokemon in question.
see, thats exactly what i said, exactly, but "no" he said "its not the same"
nice signature by the way

Snivy Link

Is Pokemon GETTING weird? I'm sorry, but that bus left the depot on day 1 when we were trying to soothe the ghost of a skull-wearing bone-wielding mama lizard caveman thing to reach the top of a tower, catching useless fish that evolved into flying serpentine dragon critters, and saving Lostelle from a Hypno that "wouldn't stop scaring!!!"

I'm terribly sorry, but I don't see how all that ISN'T weird compared to fusing two Pokemon together.

It sounds like your friend outgrew/is outgrowing the franchise, plain and simple. It happens to lots of people, but not to everyone. And many of the people who do outgrow the game state similar garbage rationalizations, without really giving the games a fair chance. They're just not into it anymore and they blame the games rather than their own growth for that.

But no, as you can see, not all loyal fans are the same and not all outgrow the game, and thus, I totally disagree with your friend. I've been in on the franchise for... 7 years I guess. Not as long as many other people I know, but I got started much later. Only in Gen III. And I'm not about to quit anytime soon. Too many fun things, too many fun designs, too many new strategies to try, and too many variations I can make on both old and new games for me to be ready to quit, or to have the series end on me! n_n
he is now into yu-gi-oh and bakugan, just saying

ParaChomp

be your own guru
looks at other Japanese franchises

No but some parts of the community are.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Status
Not open for further replies.