• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zozo

SLIMED!
he is now into yu-gi-oh and bakugan, just saying

Well, i haven't the faintest notion of what either of those are like, so I'm not really sure what to make of that. n_n

However, this was a bit more illuminating:

see, thats exactly what i said, exactly, but "no" he said "its not the same"

He just sounds like he's done with the game and ready to move on to something else. But instead of recognizing that, he's blaming his doneness on the game, even though there's really no rational reason for him to do so. (emphasis on rational.)

Ironically though, Pokemon is pretty much the best series ever for allowing players to keep their favourite old Pokemon relevant in the newest instalments. In that sense, it's amazingly good at preserving the good old times through the new games. But what are you going to do? If he wants to move on, let him. No point in trying to urge him back. If he ever wants to, the games are there for him to play, and if not then hope he enjoys whatever he does with his game time now!

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Ironically though, Pokemon is pretty much the best series ever for allowing players to keep their favourite old Pokemon relevant in the newest instalments. In that sense, it's amazingly good at preserving the good old times through the new games. But what are you going to do? If he wants to move on, let him. No point in trying to urge him back. If he ever wants to, the games are there for him to play, and if not then hope he enjoys whatever he does with his game time now!
Sadly, not so much with the competitive ones...

zozo

SLIMED!
Sadly, not so much with the competitive ones...

You really don't think so? I think the DW alone has been very kind thus far with tons of the older pokes in terms of competitive use! And that's not taking into account stuff like Eviolite, expanded auto-weather, and at least two or three other things I could probably think of better if I was less tired. XD

But really, competitive use was a big part of what I was thinking when I mentioned that. n_n Maybe I just see things differently though.

FusionKT

*cough*

ForeverFlame

Pokemon is slowly getting less weird. It's turning into more of a conventional RPG as the story gets more detailed and the mechanics get more involved.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
You really don't think so? I think the DW alone has been very kind thus far with tons of the older pokes in terms of competitive use! And that's not taking into account stuff like Eviolite, expanded auto-weather, and at least two or three other things I could probably think of better if I was less tired. XD

But really, competitive use was a big part of what I was thinking when I mentioned that. n_n Maybe I just see things differently though.
There's still the oddball (I'm looking at you Electrode and Castform) who get giant helpings of hate. Aside from that, I agree with you just the competitive people take it too far.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Pokemon has been somewhat weird since day 1 but in a good kind of way.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
What's that supposed to mean? Smogon doesn't make the games, Game Freak does. If Game Freak designs it to be less weird and more like an RPG with an actual storyline, Smogon can't do anything about it.
Majority of the older players play for the competitive battling as opposed to the story...yeah, bad point. I'll shut up.

Also, it's Japanese, thus it's always been weird.

Soberheartless

Some of these comments make me lol. Anyway, to answer your question, yes I think some aspects are weird but you learn to deal with them, and overall you realize that the franchise in itself is actually progressing pretty nicely. I've only been playing since End of Gen 3/ Beginning of Gen 4 so I'm nowhere close to what people call veterans, but I am certainly still enjoying Pokemon now, even with its weirdos like Vanillite and Trubbish :/

Snivy Link

Some of these comments make me lol. Anyway, to answer your question, yes I think some aspects are weird but you learn to deal with them, and overall you realize that the franchise in itself is actually progressing pretty nicely. I've only been playing since End of Gen 3/ Beginning of Gen 4 so I'm nowhere close to what people call veterans, but I am certainly still enjoying Pokemon now, even with its weirdos like Vanillite and Trubbish :/

y do people pick so much on vanilite and trubish, i mean srsly, look at grimer, its a pink blob, and then it vloves into muk wich looks exaclty like grimer, at least trubish has detail

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
I have been with Pokemon since it first came out. Watching the Anime as well as playing Stadium, not Red or Blue actually, but Pokemon is not getting ruined. Its just trying out something... different. Everything changes wether be good or bad.

and I still love Pokemon ^_^

bolter1

Swampert Trainer
Pokemon has always been weird, but that's why we love it!
he is now into yu-gi-oh and bakugan, just saying
So let me get this straight, he find the the fusion of Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram weird, but the multitudes of fusions in Yu-gi-oh is fine?

Rakurai

I'd presume he finds it strange because it's a new thing for the franchise.

Some people don't handle new concepts very well.

☭Secret_Shocker☭

Not really, it all goes down to people's opinions and how they see the series. Been playing since 2000 and I'm still a fan to this time.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I wanna say that Pokemon is game with fire-breathing lizerd, a weird plant-toad hyberd and eletric mouse. If it isn't weird I don't know what is.

Status
Not open for further replies.