• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Okay. But. What makes them pointless?

But what makes this number any more or less valid than the higher totals the later generations offer?

You don't need this many legendary's. They just aren't needed. They overdid it.

BCVM22

What defines "needed" and what defines "overdid it"? You're still answering questions with opinions and subjectivities. You still haven't explained what, objectively, made five Legendaries the "right number" and what, objectively, makes more "the wrong number".

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
What defines "needed" and what defines "overdid it"? You're still answering questions with opinions and subjectivities. You still haven't explained what, objectively, made five Legendaries the "right number" and what, objectively, makes more "the wrong number".

Each legendary in the old ones had a story behind it. The 3 birds were mentioned or showed up somewhere in the anime and same with the 3 dogs. The rest of the trios were there just cos I guess. Mewtwo had lots of story's behind it and so did Mew. Lugia and Ho-Oh has a story as well. Arceus and the 3 deminsional Pokemon have a story too but lots of the other just don't. Celebi was mentioned too so ya.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
The question, though, always: how does one quantify and support these as evaluations?

Indeed, and the charge of "fanmon" is just as loose as the charge of Digimon. By citing that the art style has changed, I effectively eliminate an objective rebuke because the style is elastic.

My best answer probably stems from his faux-alien (round head, full colored eyes) appearance, and the cannon on his back having no obvious physical purpose but to simply outfit him with a weapon, while we already have Blastoise playing off the massive space inside of his shell and the water pokemon's need to be continually hydrated to use his as example of making the silly plausible. Genesect was simply built for battle, and it shows. While Team Plasma being responsible for the cannon (Checking Serebii, there seems to be a touch of inconsistency between the White and BW2 Pokedex entries on whether they added it or changed it) would justify the sloppy addition, because than it really would be, until I suspect Genesect was designed explicitly with that backstory in mind it doesn't clear it. I can't and won't say that the artist who designed Genesect has lost his touch, but I will allow for the option that the design is just bad.

Last edited:

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Frankly, I like collecting Legendaries and reading up on their backgrounds, so I would say the more Legendaries, the better.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
Frankly, I like collecting Legendaries and reading up on their backgrounds, so I would say the more Legendaries, the better.

They could of at least spread them out. They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
They could of at least spread them out. They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.

But they're not. The last two Gens had thirteen each. 13 + 0 = 13.

BCVM22

Each legendary in the old ones had a story behind it.

Except they didn't. The birds, literally, were just sitting there in Generation I. Any semblance of a backstory they might have had was from the anime, which counts toward very little.

The rest of the trios were there just cos I guess.

The Regis, the pixies, the kamis and the musketeers are all given stories within their respective games.

but lots of the other just don't.

Likewise for Heatran, Cresselia, Darkrai and Shaymin. All of them given more story or explanation in game than the birds.

They don't need to keep adding 2 or 3 to each generation.

Still we use "need" in the criticisms, despite there being no way to objectively define "need".

And this is why I don't play B/W.

But you're perfectly content to complain about them.

My best answer probably stems from his faux-alien (round head, full colored eyes) appearance, and the cannon on his back having no obvious physical purpose but to simply outfit him with a weapon, while we already have Blastoise playing off the massive space inside of his shell and the water pokemon's need to be continually hydrated to use his as example of making the silly plausible. Genesect was simply built for battle, and it shows. While Team Plasma being responsible for the cannon (Checking Serebii, there seems to be a touch of inconsistency between the White and BW2 Pokedex entries on whether they added it or changed it) would justify the sloppy addition, because than it really would be, until I suspect Genesect was designed explicitly with that backstory in mind it doesn't clear it.

Well. Thank you for explaining all that, at least. The BW2 entries say the cannon was added - we should probably go with that, given that a prehistoric insect Pokémon with a cannon on its back would just be too weird for anything.

What I would ask, though, is that if Genesect being designed with its backstory in mind would be that big a deal? Assuming you are in fact making a point of that - I'm not quite sure from your last sentence. Can't be likely conclude that Mewtwo was created with its backstory, being a monstrous clone of Mew, in mind as well?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
And this is why I don't play B/W.

There aren't even 13 available Legendaries in BW. There's Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem, Tornadus/Thundurus, and Landorus (who can only be accessed if you have both Versions). So per Version, you're only able to catch six Legendaries, which is a mere two more than were available in RBY.

But of course, you wouldn't know that having not played the game. Though prejudice like that really kinda takes away any merit your argument may have had.

Last edited:

Koinu

Master of Stuff
You're right. If that person doesnt even play Black and White, then what point does their argument even have if they never even experienced the game? And really, what right do they have to criticize it. I personally, think that the number of legendaries doesnt even matter in the games. They are fun to collect for lots of people, and frankly they are just really cool. So why are people even bringing the numbers in as a problem? Why does it even matter? Its not hurting them in any way. Its not affecting anyone. If you dont like the legendaries then just dont catch them. It shouldnt even be a problem. Let the creators of Pokemon do whatever they want, if they want to create many various legendaries then i say, all right thats fine, not a problem. Clearly they arent doing anything wrong seeing as how people still like to play it. I think they have earned the right to be courageous and face us with more cool legendaries. I welcome it.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
There aren't even 13 available Legendaries in BW. There's Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Reshiram/Zekrom, Kyurem, Tornadus/Thundurus, and Landorus (who can only be accessed if you have both Versions). So per Version, you're only able to catch six Legendaries, which is a mere two more than were available in RBY.

But of course, you wouldn't know that having not played the game. Though prejudice like that really kinda takes away any merit your argument may have had.

I've played it before but quit playing it.

-Nator-

Pokemon has been "weird" since MissingNo.
So, in other words, since Gen 1.
Nothing wrong with something being weird and/or different...

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
Pokemon? Weird? Nope. Seriously, I don't get what's all the hate on Vanillite for being 'uncreative' when A Fire breathing dragon that gets all the fan love isn't. Charizard's Fire Breathing Dragon design has been WAYYYYYYY overused, admit it. But do you see an ice cream being a monster in MMO? Hasn't occurred to me that ice creams are dangerous. Vanillite line is what I called creative. Gamefreak thinks outside the box in the fifth gen. Compared to what some think, I think that gen 5 actually is some of the most creative gen. Sure there's the ever overused Purrloin but a Candle Pokemon that takes away life? An ice cream Pokemon? A Pokemon that is designed off a trash bag thingy? They're giving life to something we take it is as easily dismissible and would not give us zero creativity. How often have you thought of transferring everyday street lamps into pokemon?

That's all I'm gonna say people. And people who don't try out 5th Gen does not have the right to criticize the gen :3

tabjuggler

Been playing since day one in 1998. Tell him "veteran" players don't care.

My thoughts exactly. I've been playing since Red and Black/White/Black2/White2 got me back into the franchise.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I've played it before but quit playing it.

And you quit playing because six Legendaries was just two Legendaries too many for you, right?

If you dont like the legendaries then just dont catch them. It shouldnt even be a problem. Let the creators of Pokemon do whatever they want.

Exactly; if you don't like them, don't use them. But really, none of the fans have the right to determine whether a Pokemon is "necessary" or "overboard" or what-have-you; ultimately, only Game Freak can make that call.

Last edited:

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Well. Thank you for explaining all that, at least.

You get way too many responses that don't get where you're coming from for me not to give you the courtesy :)

The BW2 entries say the cannon was added - we should probably go with that, given that a prehistoric insect Pokémon with a cannon on its back would just be too weird for anything.

Indeed.

What I would ask, though, is that if Genesect being designed with its backstory in mind would be that big a deal? Assuming you are in fact making a point of that - I'm not quite sure from your last sentence. Can't be likely conclude that Mewtwo was created with its backstory, being a monstrous clone of Mew, in mind as well?

I guess did bring it back around to "If Game Freak can explain, how much can I complain about it?" Mewtwo is meant to look freakish too. I guess I see Genesect as somehow not gelling with the rest of his generation the way the other Legendaries do- but how do you define gelling anymore when generations have only been getting more diverse and distinctive looking since Gen 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.