• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
And what exactly is "crazy" about them?

Everything. Pokemon designs, the clothes that the characters wore, storyline. It really drifted away from the Gen 1 & 2 style of doing things.

randomspot555

I guess they're just stretching it because there certainly seem to be a lot of newer Pokemon based on man-made objects

Which isn't new.

[quote[and cultural references these days.[/quote]

Pokemon based on cultural references? Pokemon have been based on cultural myths since Gen I.

I prefer the animal/plant/rock based ones

You are not entitled to like every single Pokemon of every single generation (I certainly don't). And in no way has Pokemon ever intended or always been or even mostly been "animal/plant/rock" based. With those qualifiers, that'd erase stuff like Mew, Mewtwo, the Dragonite line, Zapdos, Moltres, and dozens of others even from the early gens.

and it would be better if they just focused on those more in the future.

I guess you've like, not noticed the dozens of plant and bug based Pokemon introduced in Gen 5?

Everything. Pokemon designs,

I love the new gen bashers rarely get specific, and just toss generic talking points.

the clothes that the characters wore,

Seriously?

storyline.

If you're playing Pokemon for the story, you'd probably be better off playing something else.

I mean, Gen II practically had no story at all. But a bunch of people loved that.

So I guess...it is bad that they're trying to make actual stories?

It really drifted away from the Gen 1 & 2 style of doing things.

Yesh, like I remember that one time in Plat where they removed all the gyms and forced us to do contests...

Oh wait, that didn't happen. The game is still very much of 8 gyms+evil team+E4 format.

Last edited:

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
The context of the first post seems to be asking "are Pokemon designs getting weird". IMO, I would have to answer with yes, definitely. I dunno, I guess they're just stretching it because there certainly seem to be a lot of newer Pokemon based on man-made objects and cultural references these days. I prefer the animal/plant/rock based ones and it would be better if they just focused on those more in the future. I think eventually they'll need to balance it out and not release quite so many Pokemon at a time. And yeah fusion legendaries.....meh, I'd prefer something less of a design rehash.

Gen 5 has six lines of Pokemon that are man-made objects. Yanmask-line, Trubbish-line, Vanillite-line, Klink-line, Litwick-line, Golett-line.

Tell me, how in the world is six too many?

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
I love the new gen bashers rarely get specific, and just toss generic talking points.

The Pokemon designs in Gens III and IV weren't creative at all. It seemed like Game Freak was just trying to churn out as many new Pokemon as they could. Those Gen I and II designs were so classic.

Seriously?

Yes, the outfits got really ridiculous, in particular the outfits for Emerald, Diamond & Pearl, and Platinum. Brendan's outfit was just.....strange. Who wears shorts over pants? Lucas' outfit in DP was pretty lame too, but at least in Platinum, it looked better (although the scarf did look kinda weird). Luckily, BW brought back more traditional outfits more reminiscent of Gens I and II. Baseball caps, jackets, etc.

If you're playing Pokemon for the story, you'd probably be better off playing something else.

I mean, Gen II practically had no story at all. But a bunch of people loved that.

So I guess...it is bad that they're trying to make actual stories?

Gens I and II both had excellent stories to them. Gen III and IV started to go a bit overboard with things. But Gen V is really bringing the storyline based Pokemon game back.

Yesh, like I remember that one time in Plat where they removed all the gyms and forced us to do contests...

Oh wait, that didn't happen. The game is still very much of 8 gyms+evil team+E4 format.

You have a point about that, but the contests were completely unnecessary, and really changed the vibe of the games (in a bad way).

BCVM22

The Pokemon designs in Gens III and IV weren't creative at all. It seemed like Game Freak was just trying to churn out as many new Pokemon as they could. Those Gen I and II designs were so classic.

Completely subjective, not a bit factual. That's entirely your opinion.

Yes, the outfits got really ridiculous, in particular the outfits for Emerald, Diamond & Pearl, and Platinum. Brendan's outfit was just.....strange. Who wears shorts over pants? Lucas' outfit in DP was pretty lame too, but at least in Platinum, it looked better (although the scarf did look kinda weird). Luckily, BW brought back more traditional outfits more reminiscent of Gens I and II. Baseball caps, jackets, etc.

Grasping at straws. The outfits appear in the official art that gets plastered on the occasional publicity material and that's about it. The characters are just sets of colored pixels the rest of the time.

but the contests were completely unnecessary

Also completely optional...

and really changed the vibe of the games (in a bad way).

Sigh. Okay. How did they "really change[d] the vibe of the games (in a bad way)"?

randomspot555

The Pokemon designs in Gens III and IV weren't creative at all.

Gen I has a cat based Pokemon named MEOWth and a dog based Pokemon named GROWLithe and its evolution. Arcanine and a magnet based Pokemon called MAGNEmite.

Why does every Pokemon have to be super uberly bleeding edge creative, except for Gen I and II?

The reason I say seriously is because you see the outfit in the opening credits and that's about it. The rest of the time, you get an aerial view that isn't really all that notable.

So yeah, seriously?

Gens I and II both had excellent stories to them.

Gen II's "story" starts by you being Elm's errand boy (or girl). In no way is that "excellent" and you only obtain a Pokedex by bumping into Professor Oak at random. In no way is that a start to an "Excellent story"

Gen III and IV started to go a bit overboard with things.

Like how?

You have a point about that, but the contests were completely unnecessary, and really changed the vibe of the games (in a bad way).

At no point in time are you actually forced to do a contest. So no, it didn't affect the "vibe" at all.

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
Gen I has a cat based Pokemon named MEOWth and a dog based Pokemon named GROWLithe and its evolution. Arcanine and a magnet based Pokemon called MAGNEmite.

Why does every Pokemon have to be super uberly bleeding edge creative, except for Gen I and II?

The Pokemon didn't look well-thought out. Some of them looked downright ridiculous, while others looked like something a preschooler could come up with. No creativity.

The reason I say seriously is because you see the outfit in the opening credits and that's about it. The rest of the time, you get an aerial view that isn't really all that notable.

So yeah, seriously?

Still didn't like the character designs.

Gen II's "story" starts by you being Elm's errand boy (or girl). In no way is that "excellent" and you only obtain a Pokedex by bumping into Professor Oak at random. In no way is that a start to an "Excellent story"
Gen II had an excellent storyline. Your rival was a troubled child (the son of Giovanni) who felt like he needed to prove something, and stole a Pokemon from Elm's lab. Throughout the storyline, he sees the bond between you and your Pokemon, and he begins to understand the importance of treating Pokemon with kindness and respect. This game has great moral lessons throughout it, and is a plot-driven storyline (including the whole Team Rocket/Radio Tower dynamic).

Like how?

Storyline just wasn't as fun as the previous games. The whole berry growing thing. And the fact that day/night was removed.

At no point in time are you actually forced to do a contest. So no, it didn't affect the "vibe" at all.

It still was lame.

Remember, as a Gen I enthusiast, these are my opinions. Never did I say that they were fact.

BCVM22

The Pokemon didn't look well-thought out. Some of them looked downright ridiculous, while others looked like something a preschooler could come up with. No creativity.

Every bit of this is 100% subjective. And if that's what you think, fine, but you cannot possibly provide a single bit of factual basis to any of this.

Gen II had an excellent storyline. Your rival was a troubled child (the son of Giovanni)

A plot point that didn't appear anywhere in the original Generation II titles.

Storyline just wasn't as fun as the previous games.

Suuuuubjective!

The whole berry growing thing.

Wait, what? Really? Why was this an issue?

It still was lame.

Which isn't an argument.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I will admit I prefered the first generation but I still love Pokemon. Many of the features now are new and great and really make you have a fun time playing or even watching the anime :)

Floette

Fennekin
Nope. They are adding massive innovations to the series. It is deeper than ever before.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon

No creativity?!

Samurott is a pokémon who uses it shell as a flipping sword.

That's pretty creative if you think about it.

Also need I mention Voltorb it's a flipping ball who evolves into a bigger ball.

So much creativity clearly gone into that(!)

Just take off your nostalgia glasses and you will see gen 1 and 2 share the same flaws you trying to pin on Gen 3,4 and 5.

Who cares?

I didn't like the Black and White 2 male trainer but I got use to it and now I don't mind it.

Just suck it up.

Gen II had an excellent storyline. Your rival was a troubled child (the son of Giovanni) who felt like he needed to prove something, and stole a Pokemon from Elm's lab. Throughout the storyline, he sees the bond between you and your Pokemon, and he begins to understand the importance of treating Pokemon with kindness and respect. This game has great moral lessons throughout it, and is a plot-driven storyline (including the whole Team Rocket/Radio Tower dynamic).

Gen 2 story was weak.

Our whole reason of going on a pokémon adventure was because we had to an errands for Professor Elm who then says.

"Oh you have a pokédex then maybe you should challenged the gym"

Also Silver wasn't revealed to be Giovanni's son until the remake.

Moral lesson? ha! Don't make me laugh.

Storyline just wasn't as fun as the previous games.

The Storyline was fine, take off your nostalgia glasses.

The whole berry growing thing.

You plant berry, water them and they grow over time.

What is so hard about that?

And the fact that day/night was removed.

Day and Night return in Gen 4 and to be honest I was glad that it was removed in Gen 3.

It still was lame.

You're lame.

As BCVM22 said that isn't an argument

Remember, as a Stupid Gen I enthusiast, these are my idiotic opinions. Which is heavily flawed

This is what you sound like when I read that.

You are so blinded by nostalgia that your argument is falling apart, you really should open your eyes and you will soon see just how wrong you are.

zozo

SLIMED!

Uh... wait, are you saying that about Gen III-V Pokemon? Because that sounds way more like it applies to Gen I pokemon to me. E.g., Gastly line, Grimer line, Chansey, Sunkern line, Staryu line, Ditto, and the Voltorb line to name a few. All of these had very simple shapes, simple colour schemes, and fairly obvious bases with the possible exception of Chansey. (When I first saw it, I didn't think "Oh egg!". I thought "what's with the fat monotreme?" Don't get me wrong, I love Chansey, I just didn't clue in to the whole "it's an egg" thing.)

And if you were to ask your average preschooler (say, ages 3-4?) to draw something, the resultant pictures are much more likely to look like Ditto than they are going to look like, say, Klingklang. Or possibly you'll get some Doduo images in there if they draw their families. In essence, they will be drawing the basic elements of Gen I and (to some extent) Gen II pokemon: simple shapes, only the most necessary lines to show important limbs, and a bit of colour. Then they get bored and move onto something else. Nothing wrong with this kind of a design, that's just how it is for the older pokemon (for the most part. There are probably exceptions that I'm not thinking of right now)

I can definitely appreciate your sentiments about the newer pokemon. They are very different from the old ones. But I don't think your point about them being poorly thought out, or simplistic to the point of looking like they were drawn by a preschooler is particularly valid. A quick look at, for instance, Emboar, Kyurem, or Escavalier dispells that point. We are now getting more and more complex pokemon with more depth in terms of colour, shape, and design bases. Gen I and II simply did not (partly because the system could not handle such things) have Pokemon like that.

So again, If you don't like the newer stuff, then whatever. We're all people, we all have our likes and dislikes. Heaven knows I've got plenty of pokemon that I despise based solely on their design. I merely think you're doing the newer pokemon a bit of injustice by that comment. That's all! n_n

Last edited:

randomspot555

The Pokemon didn't look well-thought out.[ Some of them looked downright ridiculous, while others looked like something a preschooler could come up with. No creativity.

All vague generalities that have become tired talking points.

Again, why does Gen 4 Pokemon have to be super uber creative, but Gen I can get away with drawing a rock and adding arms?

Sounds like a double standard to me.

SO FLIPPING WHAT????? It is a frickin avatar in an RPG that you see from an aerial view. Geez,complaining about clothes?? It is such a minor aspect of the game that most people don't even notice them. It is like you are intentionally just trying to find things you don't like so you can brag about how much you hate new gens.

Gen II had an excellent storyline.

...which doesn't change the fact that you start the game not because you're helping a Professor achieve a livelong team, but because you're running a routine errand.

Your rival was a troubled child (the son of Giovanni)

SasoriSand

Master of Sand

Voltorb line, and Ditto say hi.

Opinion.

At what point in the game does it say that?

Storyline just wasn't as fun as the previous games. The whole berry growing thing. And the fact that day/night was removed.

Gen 3 had the story line of two evil teams battling for the fate of the world.
Gen 4 had the story line of an evil team trying to rid this world and start anew
Gen 5 had the story line of an evil team wanting to rid the world of Pokemon Training. Also, what you said about the rival also happens to N.
Berry growing was removed in Gen 5 yet, IT'S OPTIONAL!
Day/Night comes back.

It still was lame.

Opinion

Remember, as a Gen I enthusiast, these are my opinions. Never did I say that they were fact.

Then accept other people's opinion's as well instead of bashing them.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I can definitely appreciate your sentiments about the newer pokemon. They are very different from the old ones. But I don't think your point about them being poorly thought out, or simplistic to the point of looking like they were drawn by a preschooler is particularly valid. A quick look at, for instance, Emboar, Kyurem, or Escavalier dispells that point. We are now getting more and more complex pokemon with more depth in terms of colour, shape, and design bases. Gen I and II simply did not (partly because the system could not handle such things) have Pokemon like that.

To be honest the only argument that one could say about the gen 1 Pokémon pokémon is that they look realistic until Yellow began gave them their animé look and then from Gold and Sliver onwards the pokémon always had a cartoon looks, which really allowed Game Freak to show their creativity and imagination.

At what point in the game does it say that?

It was hinted in FireRed and LeafGreen and then confirmed in the Johto remake during the Celebi event mission.

Bottom line Trainer Michael point about what makes gen 2 story better is pointless since that wasn't in the original version and was only added in the remake.

Which suggest that even Game Freak thinks that Gen 2 was lacking in the story department.

Last edited:
Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together.

I actually do think that is a little odd. They completely ruined Reshiram for me by it's fusing with kyurem. Granted Reshiram's design was a bit strange from the start, but my opinion is not changing. I think Game Freak is running out of ideas and are grasping rediculous rocks in hope that one of them is a golden nugget, but where they are digging is gold-free. Yellow is far better then B/W even though it is old and the graphics aren't as good. Game Freak are running out of ideas, Pokemon might as well be cancelled.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt

Pretty vague statement. You never even state which ones look "Like they were drawn by preschoolers."

This is one thing. I don't see how a tiny sprites design makes you not like the game at all.

The professor gives you a starter to run an errand for him. On the way Prof. Oak gives You a pokedex. Prof. Elm then says you should challenge gyms and on your gym journey, you run into some guys who take over the radio. Your rival is a random guy who stole a starter and learns some moral.

Does this really sound interesting to you? If so, your one boring person. Also, do you really think anyone cares about someone learning a moral in a video game?

The whole berry growing thing. And the fact that day/night was removed.

Berrys were a minor feature and were 100% optional. Day and night returned in later games.

It still was lame.

Lame and OPTIONAL.

Status
Not open for further replies.