• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Getting Weird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I actually do think that is a little odd. They completely ruined Reshiram for me by it's fusing with kyurem. Granted Reshiram's design was a bit strange from the start. I think Game Freak is running out of ideas and are grasping rediculous rocks in hope that one of them is a golden nugget, but where they are digging is gold-free. Yellow is far better then B/W even though it is old and the graphics aren't as good. Game Freak are running out of ideas, Pokemon might as well be cancelled.

OK where do I begin;

-Game Freak are not running out of ideas so get that out of your head.
-You are clearly blinded by nostalgia since you fail to realise that Yellow was a broken game
-Pokémon fusion exist in Gen 1
- Pokémon Black and White 2 broke sales record in Japan and I bet you that it will be the same here, it will not be going anywhere.
- They have not ruined Reshiram if you don't want it to fuse then you don't have to! Jeez use your brain.
- Maybe you should consider the fact that you are growing out of the Pokémon series.

but my opinion is not changing.

Fine then but know this, opinion are not infallible and can be pick apart which in turn ends up making you look stupid because someone proved you wrong.

You can not hide behind "It my opinion" bull crap.

Last edited:
Pokemon was always weird. Electric Mice, Blazing Lizards, Psychic little Cat thingies, shall I go on?

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach
The professor gives you a starter to run an errand for him. On the way Prof. Oak gives You a pokedex. Prof. Elm then says you should challenge gyms and on your gym journey, you run into some guys who take over the radio. Your rival is a random guy who stole a starter and learns some moral.

Does this really sound interesting to you? If so, your one boring person. Also, do you really think anyone cares about someone learning a moral in a video game?

To be fair, the rival in GSC/HGSS did have pretty much the best character development of anyone prior to Black and White. And there's nothing wrong with learning a moral in a video game; I've talked to very few people who mind it. Honestly, I like games that have a certain moral complexity to them.

I actually do think that is a little odd. They completely ruined Reshiram for me by it's fusing with kyurem. Granted Reshiram's design was a bit strange from the start, but my opinion is not changing. I think Game Freak is running out of ideas and are grasping rediculous rocks in hope that one of them is a golden nugget, but where they are digging is gold-free. Yellow is far better then B/W even though it is old and the graphics aren't as good. Game Freak are running out of ideas, Pokemon might as well be cancelled.

To be fair, they aren't exactly "fusing". Kyurem absorbs the Stone Form of either Reshiram or Zekrom and gains their powers, it isn't some Yu-Gi-Oh style fusion. It's Kyurem stealing the powers of one of the other two.

And while I'm a big fan of every Pokemon game, I have to ask why exactly it is that Yellow is so much better than BW? Black and White have more of a storyline to them than any other main series Pokemon game - that's hardly a bad thing. I'm not saying that BW is better than all of the other games; honestly, I like all of the games pretty equally. The fact is that on a base level, every Pokemon game is the same: You catch and train whatever Pokemon you choose, you bond with them, and you prove the power of friendship to a bunch of wackos in tights. I fail to see how any single Pokemon game can be considered to be better or worse than any other.

Also, to the Genwunners who claim that new designs are crap and to the Newgenners who claim that old designs are crap, I have to point out something. EVERY Pokemon game has good and bad designs; you can't just use the bad ones as an excuse to say that all new designs are horrible. The fact is that Pokemon is more about imagination. Some things are simple, like a rat named Rattata or a cat named Purrloin. Some things are complex, like a trilobite/horseshoe crab/swordsman named Kabutops or a samurai/sea lion named Samurott. Some things are plain weird, like a batch of eggs named Exeggcute or a karate master named Sawk. But the fact remains that every generation has its simplicities, its complexities, and its oddities. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In conclusion:

[IMG139]http://chzpokememes.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/pokmon-all-the-gens2.png[/IMG139]

Last edited:

Izanagi

'Sup!
Like other have say, any opinions are simply subjective and Pokemon was always weird. Also what is weird which I go even further and that is subjective too. Their is nothing wrong with Pokemon how it is today. Also any complaint the about the them combining two or more Pokemon together nothing more than nitpick at best since other 'mons have already done it years before Pokemon even came about.

I just don't get the "dead creativity" comments. One could argue that Game Freak didn't really start being creative until after they realized what a success Pokemon really was. I mean, just look at some of the original designs. Voltorb is a Pokeball with eyes, and Electrode is pretty much the same, just upside-down. Ditto looks like a mutated piece of chewed bubble gum. It literally could have come from the pen of a toddler. Ekans and Arbok are pretty much cartoons snakes, only purple. Diglett looks like a hot dog weiner stuck in the ground, and Dugtrio is just three of them. Persian is a cat with a gem on its forehead. Spearow and Pidgey just look like cartoon birds. Geodude is literally a rock with arms. And the names? Come on, is "Seel" supposed to be creative? How about "Mr. Mime"? "Ninetales"? "Mankey" is just "monkey" with an "a". "Krabby" and "Tauros" are just corruptions of the word they're based on, and the Alakazam line names are just magician words.

So yeah, I don't see how you can find creativity in Gen 1 Pokemon and then say later Gen Pokemon aren't well thought out.

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
. I think Game Freak is running out of ideas

......I've never heard this before. Please, tell me your woeful story of why Gamefreak is out of ideas.

Yellow is far better then B/W even though it is old and the graphics aren't as good.

I love how supported this statement is.

Game Freak are running out of ideas,

Funny how you say this, yet you haven't given us one legitimate reason why yet. I don't see how one Pokemon having a Fusion is running out of ideas. Thats a brand new idea to Pokemon.

Pokemon might as well be cancelled.

Again, why would they cancel a series that makes millions of dollars just cause a few people who can never be pleased on the internet think Gamefreak is running out of ideas.

Basically, this post says, "Gamefreak is running out of ideas cause I said so. They should cancel it cause I think that."

To be fair, the rival in GSC/HGSS did have pretty much the best character development of anyone prior to Black and White. And there's nothing wrong with learning a moral in a video game; I've talked to very few people who mind it. Honestly, I like games that have a certain moral complexity to them.

Its not that I have a problem with morals in video games, but most people don't find them so extremely exciting.

Last edited:

Snivy Link

To be fair, they aren't exactly "fusing". Kyurem absorbs the Stone Form of either Reshiram or Zekrom and gains their powers, it isn't some Yu-Gi-Oh style fusion. It's Kyurem stealing the powers of one of the other two.

And while I'm a big fan of every Pokemon game, I have to ask why exactly it is that Yellow is so much better than BW? Black and White have more of a storyline to them than any other main series Pokemon game - that's hardly a bad thing. I'm not saying that BW is better than all of the other games; honestly, I like all of the games pretty equally. The fact is that on a base level, every Pokemon game is the same: You catch and train whatever Pokemon you choose, you bond with them, and you prove the power of friendship to a bunch of wackos in tights. I fail to see how any single Pokemon game can be considered to be better or worse than any other.

Also, to the Genwunners who claim that new designs are crap and to the Newgenners who claim that old designs are crap, I have to point out something. EVERY Pokemon game has good and bad designs; you can't just use the bad ones as an excuse to say that all new designs are horrible. The fact is that Pokemon is more about imagination. Some things are simple, like a rat named Rattata or a cat named Purrloin. Some things are complex, like a trilobite/horseshoe crab/swordsman named Kabutops or a samurai/sea lion named Samurott. Some things are plain weird, like a batch of eggs named Exeggcute or a karate master named Sawk. But the fact remains that every generation has its simplicities, its complexities, and its oddities. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

In conclusion:

[IMG139]http://chzpokememes.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/pokmon-all-the-gens2.png[/IMG139]

GalladeRocks i agree with u in every way to hating newgenners and genwunners to all pokemon games are equally good and bad, u r awesome and i worship u(not literally i am catholic)

Recon

The Pokemon didn't look well-thought out. Some of them looked downright ridiculous, while others looked like something a preschooler could come up with. No creativity.

Voltorb and Electrode. Your argument is invalid.

Remember, as a Gen I enthusiast, these are my opinions. Never did I say that they were fact.

Sound more like a genwunner to me.

Izanagi

'Sup!
Like I said before, GameFreak aren't running out of ideas if anything that are flooding with them. People who don't see have their heads stuck in the past and I am sorry life is going to left you behind whether you want it to or not. All Pokemon are weird in their own way so no Pokemon is not getting weird. The is nothing wrong with Kyurem and Reshiram/Zekrom fuzing because other 'mon have already done it years prior. Also, this may come to surprise to some people but nothing is new under the sun. The only way to make something new and interesting is to borrow from pre-exisisting ideas and make it your own. Making something entirely original is impossible. /rant

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
I don't have the time to respond to everyone, so I'll respond to this one. In addition, I never "slammed" anyone else's opinion, I'm simply expressing my own.

Pretty vague statement. You never even state which ones look "Like they were drawn by preschoolers."

Nearly every Pokemon in Hoenn and Sinnoh was unimaginative. But again, that's just my opinion.

This is one thing. I don't see how a tiny sprites design makes you not like the game at all.

It's not the "tiny sprite" I'm talking about, it's the Sugimori character artwork that's shown in the strategy guides. I know not many people pay attention to that, but I do.

The professor gives you a starter to run an errand for him. On the way Prof. Oak gives You a pokedex. Prof. Elm then says you should challenge gyms and on your gym journey, you run into some guys who take over the radio. Your rival is a random guy who stole a starter and learns some moral.

Does this really sound interesting to you? If so, your one boring person. Also, do you really think anyone cares about someone learning a moral in a video game?

It was an awesome plot. Kids these days need all kinds of flashy features and long, deep storylines to keep them attracted to anything. Back in the day, a simple story of good vs. evil, and treating Pokemon right was greatly appreciated. This is everything that is wrong with today's culture. Back in the days of Red/Blue, all people cared about was a fun game with a good storyline. Nowadays, everything is pointless shooting and blood. Anyway, let me get off my soapbox now. :)

Berrys were a minor feature and were 100% optional. Day and night returned in later games.

I'm simply saying that the berry planting feature was annoying for me. And yes, day and night returned in Gen 4, but I was talking about Gen 3 in that statement.

Lame and OPTIONAL.
I'm simply stating my opinion. Is there anything wrong with that?

randomspot555

To the guy who said something about Newgenners: I in no way said any design is "crappy". Only that some aren't creative.

And not everything has to be "creative". If the basis of a design is a Pokeball (Voltorb), then you might as well make it look like a freakin Pokeball and not be "creative" and add crap to it.

What I did say, though, is why does everything have to be "creative" nowadays when Gen I got away with three piles a sludge, a rock with arms, a magnet that evolves into 3 magnets, and a mole that evolves into 3 moles. I love all of these Pokemon, but they are in no way super "creative"

Izanagi

'Sup!
I don't have the time to respond to everyone, so I'll respond to this one. In addition, I never "slammed" anyone else's opinion, I'm simply expressing my own.
It was an awesome plot. Kids these days need all kinds of flashy features and long, deep storylines to keep them attracted to anything. Back in the day, a simple story of good vs. evil, and treating Pokemon right was greatly appreciated. This is everything that is wrong with today's culture. Back in the days of Red/Blue, all people cared about was a fun game with a good storyline. Nowadays, everything is pointless shooting and blood. Anyway, let me get off my soapbox now. :)

This nothing wrong with you expressing you own opioioin but you say all everyone plays is mindless shooters with excessive violence but this only a broad generalization. Many the games have decent story and or characters that you care for and not that these require thinking and comprehension on the gamers part. Also all games are suppose to be fun and I agree but their is nothing wrong with people wanting some actual substance to go along with their game. Think of it this way, I don't people only want to see Transformers when they go out and see a movie.

GalladeRocks

Son of a Beach

I'll agree that a simple plot can be an awesome plot, but that doesn't mean that longer, deeper storylines aren't good. Honestly, Pokemon games have always just been fun games with good storylines, it's just been the depth or theme of the storyline that's changed. And yes, pointless shooting and blood does get on my nerves as well :p

To the guy who said something about Newgenners: I in no way said any design is "crappy". Only that some aren't creative.

And not everything has to be "creative". If the basis of a design is a Pokeball (Voltorb), then you might as well make it look like a freakin Pokeball and not be "creative" and add crap to it.

What I did say, though, is why does everything have to be "creative" nowadays when Gen I got away with three piles a sludge, a rock with arms, a magnet that evolves into 3 magnets, and a mole that evolves into 3 moles. I love all of these Pokemon, but they are in no way super "creative"

I wasn't calling you explicitly out on being a Newgenner; I'm talking about the people who simply say that the new games are in every way better than the first, the ones who refuse to listen to reason saying that the old ones were good to. The same thing goes for Genwunners, just the opposite way. I agree, not everything has to be "creative". Pokemon wouldn't be Pokemon if it didn't have some designs that didn't just make you go "What the heck were they smoking?" It's not all complex, it's not all simple, it's not all imaginative, it's not all unimaginative; it's a wonderful and beautiful combination of all of them. That's what makes it Pokemon.

I think people just look for something to complain about o_0, its fine IMO...

AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH! That pretty much sums up life on Planet Earth :p

crystalzapdos

J.J. Swatt
Nearly every Pokemon in Hoenn and Sinnoh was unimaginative. But again, that's just my opinion.

That's still very vague.

It's not the "tiny sprite" I'm talking about, it's the Sugimori character artwork that's shown in the strategy guides. I know not many people pay attention to that, but I do.

Then go complain about the strategy guide. You see artwork of the character twice in the game. Once at the very beginning, and once in the credits. Everywhere else it's the tiny sprite.

It was an awesome plot. Kids these days need all kinds of flashy features and long, deep storylines to keep them attracted to anything.

So your saying that the more the storyline, the worse it is. The less the storyline, the better it is. If this is the case stick to old Atari games and don't come near modern games, which generally have good storylines.

Back in the day, a simple story of good vs. evil, and treating Pokemon right was greatly appreciated. This is everything that is wrong with today's culture. Back in the days of Red/Blue, all people cared about was a fun game with a good storyline.

100% nostalgia goggles right here.

Nowadays, everything is pointless shooting and blood.

One of my favorite story lines is from a shooter, so I don't get what your point is. Shooters are equally as good as any other genre.

I'm simply saying that the berry planting feature was annoying for me.

How does it annoy you if it is optional? Just don't do it.

No, but because its your opinion doesn't mean it's exempt to criticism.

Last edited:

Izanagi

'Sup!
So your saying that the more the storyline, the worse it is. The less the storyline, the better it is. If this is the case stick to old Atari games and don't come near modern games, which generally have good storylines.

100% nostalgia goggles right here.

One of my favorite story lines is from a shooter, so I don't get what your point is. Shooters are equally as good as any other genre.

How does it annoy you if it is optional? Just don't do it.

No, but because its your opinion doesn't mean it's exempt to criticism.

This right here. Everything I something of my own to say this guy can read my mind or something cause he said everything I was going to say. Thanks.

Watchog

Lv. 50
My cousin got me into Pokemon a year ago and he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Now he's 16 and I'm 13 and he doesn't want to play it anymore because he says it'd ruining his childhood memories since they're "fusing" Pokemon together or whatever is going on with Black Kyurem and White Kyurem. He says he wishes they would just cancel Pokemon so they don't ruin the legacy or whatever. I disagreed but he said that any veteran player like him would agree that they should, so i want to know if what he says is true...anybody?
*EPIC FACEPALM*
5 Years old (5 YEARS OLD). Is that the age where everyone started playing pokemon? why do i keep seeing people mention a 5 yrold brother who plays pokemon or started playing at that exact age? 5? lol?
But that's besides the point, anyways. No' pokemon its not getting any weird or anything. Just evolving a little bit.

Ver-mont

Pokémon was always weird and we love it.

Personally, I prefer long, deep storylines. And it's exactly because I'm not a kid anymore, I'm more critical about storylines now.

Last edited:

rykerr1

The Great Gublet
I've been playing since 2001 ish so I'd consider myself a "veteran" I guess, and I think the whole fusing thing is awesome >.< They have to change things up to keep the games interesting, that doesn't mean it's getting weird or ruining the legacy of the older games.

xanthis

im sxy and i know it
i kind of agree......i mean the old ones are what started pokemon and they are making the new ones sucky and its pretty much an insult to pokemon...................although im just glad that pokemon is stilla live.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer

I'm simply saying that the berry planting feature was annoying for me. And yes, day and night returned in Gen 4, but I was talking about Gen 3 in that statement.

there is articule called ruined FOrEVER in tv tropes that fits your POV. and seriously BW was first game not to include champion battle as main story line while in G/S/C main event of the game finishes before 8th Gym. in BW2, it was first main game to have villian trying to kill you. What did TR did in that regard?

WOW i can't belive how many nostalgiafags are around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.