• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon maturing?

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Pokemon has always been something that most people would say is for children. But since the introduction of the 4th Gen, we've seen the franchise lean towards more mature themes such as Religion, Abuse, Death, etc. More recently, the new protagonist for the upcoming BW games are said to be 15 years old, as oppose to the traditional 10 year old protagonist.

So, is Pokemon maturing?

Discuss.

Melody Niwa

Your Average Freak
I think you have a good point there. The only thing that's been more on the kids' side would be the wi-fi mini games, Pokemon Contests/Musicals, etc that have been around since the 3rd gen, but that's easily overlooked when you think about all the points you mentioned.

I never actually understood the 10-year-old protagonists anyway...what kind of mother lets their 10-year-old leave home to travel the region with monsters, getting into all sorts of battles and strange situations along the way? I mean, 15 isn't that much better, but most RPG protagonists are in their teens anyway, so it's understandable.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Considering that the demographic that caught on during the third and fourth generations have aged a bit since Diamond and Pearl, I wouldn't put it past GameFreak to attempt to make the characters older. Besides, most people who play video games at a young age come face to face with older teenagers, young adults, and in many games nowadays, main characters in their thirties or forties. Pokemon was lagging behind with the two ten-year-old characters, but I'd say that they can only go a little higher age-wise for a main game. We saw people in their late teens or early twenties in the Ranger games, but I wouldn't want to start an adventure in my twenties.
we've seen the franchise lean towards more mature themes such as Religion, Abuse, Death, etc.

Where does religion become a big part of the game? Sure there's a so-called "church" and many people throughout the game pass down legends. The legends are there to develop the game and give it substance; we don't see people kneeling down and worshiping devoutly or identifying a text as a "holy book." Believing in legends does not mean that you automatically put those legends at religious status.

Abuse from the villains has been around for years, but it's always been considered a negative thing. What the villains try to do with the Pokemon would be considered abuse if we did it to animals in real life, and it has always been frowned upon and outlawed in the games. The games are not getting "darker" because the villains abuse Pokemon; we've seen this in the past. We also have to stop the villains from doing this; the games would be getting darker if we abused the Pokemon ourselves.

And as for death? I personally think that death was talked about less in the fourth generation than other generations. Especially when you consider how much death was talked about around Lavender Town and Mt. Pyre.

Where does religion become a big part of the game? Sure there's a so-called "church" and many people throughout the game pass down legends. The legends are there to develop the game and give it substance; we don't see people kneeling down and worshiping devoutly or identifying a text as a "holy book." Believing in legends does not mean that you automatically put those legends at religious status.

It's not like Game Freak created a "God Pokemon"......*Facepalm*

But i agree with what you are saying, nobody is going down on their knees with the Pokedex (Bible/Torah/Quaran) in their hands praying that the "God Pokemon" doesn't rain down fire or some s*** like that.

What I find weird is WHY there even is a church in the game, I mean what's the point? Game Freak not suddenly gonna go Christian on our a** b/c a majority of their market is Christian.

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
It's not like Game Freak created a "God Pokemon"......*Facepalm*

But it isn't explicitly called a "god" Pokemon. It's just the Alpha Pokemon. Of course, it is hinted at as a divine Pokemon (With possibly more to come; with an alpha, you always need an omega.), but many people have very little information about it. Certainly not enough for them to make it a large religious figure. Just the "stuff of legend".
What I find weird is WHY there even is a church in the game, I mean what's the point? Game Freak not suddenly gonna go Christian on our a** b/c a majority of their market is Christian.

Like the rest of the religious-based figures in Pokemon, the church is pretty much a euphemism. It's called a cultural center or something along those lines, but we can see that it's obviously more than that.

And this "cultural center" has essentially no niche in the game other than to take up space. I wouldn't worry about GameFreak trying to use this "center" as a hook for religious demographics. As I said before, there's no actual religion in the games, just legends (which you may or may not see as another euphemism).

Iyashii

Meh I see it as more of an "Americanized" feel than a maturing one.

I'd prefer a more Japanese style, back to it's roots.

Nitro123 (PG)

Needs a user title
They're just trying to add things to make sure it still has a selling point, instead of get a Poke'mon, beat some gym leaders and some evil team, and become a Poke'mon master. But yes, I guess the series is more mature. :l

Last edited:

Mewkachu

Sexuality is a cult.
I don't think so, I think it's still the child game Pokémon.

But I will say you have a good point here.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
the games are definitly maturing, you can see it in the pokemon, and there is no religion within the games, just legends and a church or two, and that would be oppresion if the games turned Christian just to please the Christian players. Japan wouldnt sell out like that

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
Japan wouldnt sell out like that

Just because you favor a certain country's developers over another does not mean that those developers would not try to cater to a certain demographic if it would increase the popularity of the series. Sorry, but when money is involved, some people will do whatever possible to get their grubby little hands on it. Don't put it past anyone to try to please a certain group of people.

that would be oppresion if the games turned Christian just to please the Christian players.

Why would it automatically be a Christian demographic? The "cultural center" is not affiliated with any religion, unless you count the Sinnoh culture's legends to be religious. The fact that GameFreak has replaced some of these concepts with euphemisms is just going to show that as of yet, they don't want to cater to a religious group.

Mewkachu

Sexuality is a cult.
What the h*ll is this Christianity talk about?

Look, there is a church-like building or two.

Get this, it could be something other than that.

Like maybe a mourning place for dead Pokémon,
or possibly teh version of Lavender Town's tower?!

I mean gawsh, it's not like there is a man dying on a cross in the games.

What the h*ll is this Christianity talk about?

Look, there is a church-like building or two.

Get this, it could be something other than that.

Like maybe a mourning place for dead Pokémon,
or possibly teh version of Lavender Town's tower?!

I mean gawsh, it's not like there is a man dying on a cross in the games.
It is easy to see that it is based upon a church/chatedral, they talk about the balance and they even does't play music there out of respect. You have to admit that it is likely a church like ting.

And it is not a version of pokemon tower, lost tower is that.

On topic: I'm not sure about those facts, it was more dead stuff in the older games, abuse alway was there, it is more religion now but it isn't sucj a big factor. I say the games is like they alway were, a kids game that adults can enjoy.

TeraDyne

Pocket Monsters Fan
After reading all of this... I need to smack some sense into this topic on the "Religon" debate.

Here's a hint, people: Christianity isn't the ONLY religion. In Japan, for example, there's the native Shinto religion. It's a fragmented religion, based off of MANY legends, and somewhat resembles... well... what we see in Pokemon. Spirits and beings that invoke various effects on the world, like the Weather Trio, are part of their beliefs.

Here, study a bit on the topic. It's an interesting read, and gives a lot of insight to the basis of Pokemon lore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinto

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
As has been previously stated, the three themes TC points out have been in pokemon since gen 1.

"Religion" in the form of legends, "Abuse" in the form of bad trainers, and "Death" in the form of cemeteries.

But if you really truly want to believe that pokemon is growing up with you, be my guest.

With that said, nice to see you again KGB.

Blazicken

Sex on fire
mhm, i feel the same way, they sure adapted a few things to make it more mature, and for a larger audience to watch: for the new kids and to not lose the older fans. even the characters are more mature (look at ash)

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Hopefully, or I'll lose interest soon.

LAVENDER TOWN.

BCVM22

Hopefully, or I'll lose interest soon.

Not to single you out, but to put this as bluntly as possible, no one would take notice. If you're posting here, then you're already at least a few years beyond the demographic that the franchise targets and as such, the consortium of developers, publishers and promotional outlets and vehicles responsible for the franchise lost interest in you years ago.

How this is actually a debate, I'm not sure. It's been pointed out already: what the original poster somehow labels "Abuse" and "Religion" are nothing of the sort and "Death", such as it is, has been part of the franchise since the very beginning. The franchise is not markedly more mature now than it was when it started 14 years ago. Different in some ways, certainly, but not necessarily more mature.

they sure adapted a few things to make it more mature

Such as?

and for a larger audience to watch: for the new kids and to not lose the older fans.

They're not worried about losing older fans, as you can tell quite clearly from the fact that they're resetting the cast save Ash in a few months' time.

Children are a replenishable resource; the older fans can leave all they want. Good-bye. Adios. So long and thanks for all the revenue. There will always be young fans growing in to take their place. Never believe differently.

even the characters are more mature (look at ash)

That he's not the careless, arrogant character he started as does not equate to "more mature".

Hejiru

Rev up those fryers
I don't know if it really is, but I certainly hope so.

Ace Trainer Alex

wants to fight!
Pokemon has always been for both kids and adults. While kids enjoy the simplicity, adults see deeper into it and piece things together.
Example: Mother Marowak Ghost
Kid: I'm gonna try to catch it! Dangit! It won't let me!
Adult: Poor Marowak... and that poor cubone baby...

Abuse and death has always been around in pokemon. The invention of a "god-pokemon", I think, is a welcome thing. Adds more dimension to the games that kids will once more overlook and adults will see as interesting.