• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon really aimed just for Children?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
During the early days of the anime, I felt the show had been darker than it is now. Example:When Ash went against Sabrina. Sabrina was just...creepy with that doll in her lap. I liked it though.

Jesster

Spicy Nooblet
The franchise is aimed at children, though I reckon they bear in mind that a vast majority of their fanbase is teenagers and up.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
During the early days of the anime, I felt the show had been darker than it is now. Example:When Ash went against Sabrina. Sabrina was just...creepy with that doll in her lap. I liked it though.

You're right...I liked that.It's humor was slightly different too.Though,most stuff in the 90's were like that.Now,children are much too protected and every show has to be puritanical

Izanagi

'Sup!
The Pokemon anime is just a marketing vessel for the games. It has and always will cater to children more specifically boys from the ages 6-11. That why Ash will forever remain 10 years old. That the anime always seems to "reset" with each new region and why their is a new female protagonist with each new series. I know that may sound a bit sexist but I took it from horse's mouth. That is also why Ash changes attire to match that of the current male protagonist of the games. It anime doesn't need to try as it what it is doing makes money. That doesn't mean people older than the demographic can't enjoy is just saying that will do little to nothing to appeal to these people.

The truth is the 90s Pokemon anime was an lot more adult like, but it was a tv show that appeal to both kids and adults alike. Nowdays it just seem to have lost all of the mature feel to it, but BW seem to have brought back some of the mature pokemon feel to the show as well as the original humor.

Vernikova

Champion
The truth is the 90s Pokemon anime was an lot more adult like, but it was a tv show that appeal to both kids and adults alike.

What was the appeal for adults back in the nineties?

What was the appeal for adults back in the nineties?

Pokemon in the 90s had very dark adult content in it, like Ash & Pikachu becoming Ghosts, the time Charmander almost died , and the banned Bikini episode. Those are the things i was talking about that appeal to adults.

Pokemon in the 90s had very dark adult content in it, like Ash & Pikachu becoming Ghosts, the time Charmander almost died , and the banned Bikini episode. Those are the things i was talking about that appeal to adults.

DP had dark moments too. I would even argue that DP out of all the arcs was the most adult. Team Galactic trying to destroy the current world and create a new world with Cyrus as the leader was very dark. Paul abusing his Pokemon was dark. Commander Mars tried to blow up a whole island. Hunter J tried to destroy a forest and she threw Ash out of her ship. DP was very adult and dark.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
Is Pokemon aimed just at children? I wouldn't say it's meant to appeal ONLY to children (seeing as how there are still teens and adults that like Pokemon) but kids are definitely the main audience. The fact that people over 13 are still into Pokemon shows that Game Freak is able to create a product that not only grabs the attention of the target audience but also manages to keep some of the older fans around as well. Just proves that Game Freak knows what they're doing.

DP had dark moments too. I would even argue that DP out of all the arcs was the most adult. Team Galactic trying to destroy the current world and create a new world with Cyrus as the leader was very dark. Paul abusing his Pokemon was dark. Commander Mars tried to blow up a whole island. Hunter J tried to destroy a forest and she threw Ash out of her ship. DP was very adult and dark.

DP did had some very dark moments to it. The DP series was probably more adult then i originally thought it was.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I just don't know anymore. It's like it was a kids show, but now it's getting darker. So I have no idea. Maybe it's growing up with our generation or something.

voicerocker

Platinum Master
I just don't know anymore. It's like it was a kids show, but now it's getting darker. So I have no idea. Maybe it's growing up with our generation or something.

The games have a somewhat deeper story these days, but the anime is the same as it's always been. The anime has had its more serious moments, but I wouldn't say it's darker or more mature.

Status
Not open for further replies.