• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Pokemon Red still worth it? Should i just get Fire red?

FireRed or Red

• FireRed

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Red

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I have not actually played a kanto game, which should I play?

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I’d say get the original, that way you can see what the franchise was like when brand new.

Orphalesion

The original game is an ugly, buggy mess with heaps of things that just aren't working correctly.
So that would make FR/LF better imho.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I wouldn't recommend it. Although I'm a huge fan of Gen I, I can barely tolerate R/G/B/Y since the games are far too primitive and not as fun in the current environment, what with much better Kanto games being available such as LG/FR and even the Let's Go Kanto remakes.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
FireRed is absolutely better overall, however if you haven't played a Gen 1 game and wanna see how far the franchise has come? I'd personally suggest Yellow. Yes, the games are "primitive" but they also came out 25 years ago so to an extent that goes without saying.

FireRed is absolutely better overall, however if you haven't played a Gen 1 game and wanna see how far the franchise has come? I'd personally suggest Yellow. Yes, the games are "primitive" but they also came out 25 years ago so to an extent that goes without saying.
people still play games like mario from before 20 years a game being old means nothing this is the roots and you all forgot it it seems

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
FireRed is a much better experience with Kanto as the sprites aren’t as awful looking, it’s less buggy, and there is no chance of you accidentally bricking the game through a glitch caused by catching one of the MissinNo. Trust me, you’re far better off not seeing the upside down Koffing, the Exeggcute egg that’s three times bigger than the rest of its friends, and Golbat with that extremely weird long Frog-like tongue. Oh and Poliwhirl and Poliwrath look nearly identical which isn’t a good thing.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Can you brick the game by catching Missingno? I thought you could always restart it if something went wrong.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
people still play games like mario from before 20 years a game being old means nothing this is the roots and you all forgot it it seems
If anything, I was defending the game from prior comments. Yes, by current standards the games aren't much to sneeze at, but they're literally what started this whole thing and are worth playing. Sprites? Haunted. Lavender Town? Creepy. Glitches? Duh. At no point though did I say "don't play rby they're the worst games of all time" but I did suggest Yellow because out of the original games it has slightly more content and for me was the most enjoyable Gen 1 game.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think RBY are fun to play for nostalgic reasonings but in short bursts. Playing RB too long makes you feel disturbed by some of the sprites especially when it comes to facing Agatha’s Golbat. And Yellow is the best Gen I game because it is more balanced and has better sprites but you have to get Pikachu to be completely happy being with you to get Bulbasaur which is tricky to do because Pikachu has to be in your party and you can’t lose too many battles or else it will start to dislike you. And it’s even harder considering Pikachu’s learn set isn’t all that great in Gen I with its most powerful attack being Thunder which is only learned at level 41 and the rest are either Normal attacks that won’t cause much damage to Rock types and nothing to Ghosts, status moves, and Thunderbolt which is a good move but by the time you have Pikachu learn the attack, you’ve got half of the Bafges.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Red Blue and Yellow are also most likely to have dead batteries after 20 years and can't save progress if bought used. Don't know if the Fire Red Leaf Green have this. It's no fun having to open delicate cartridges to change soldered battery.

If you must play the buggy originals, then get a digital version for the 3DS. Old Games cartridges including DS games go for absurd prices on the used market.