1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is Red really the strongest 'Dex Holder?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Manga Discussion' started by GameX, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameX

GameX Member

Hi,

There's something I would like to know; is Red really the strongest of all Pokedex Holders? I'm tied between him and Emerald.

At the end of the Arc, there is the tournament between the 10 Pokedex Holders, and apparently, Emerald won it, because he have the last Symbol. I guess he fought against Red in finals. But, is Emerald stronger than Red just because of this? Red could have let Emerald win because he wanted this symbol, that's all! Or maybe Red lost because he wasn't serious, he haven't surpassed his limits and fought for the fate of the Pokemon world, like he did in Yellow, GSC and FRLG; it wasn't a serious case, just to have fun. So I'm not really sure who's the strongest between Red and Emerald...

What do you think?

Thanks

2. Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower Trying out new games

Red just got back from turned into stone he had to battle right after that. He was tired after all what happened of course he wouldn't be in such a top shape to win that tournament. that's why Emerald won. This is my theory about that tournament.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  3. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

Agreed. Also the fact that Battle Frontier battling is different than free form.

4. deokishisu.123

deokishisu.123 Justified Trope

Well, if you ask me, Red is definately strong, but he does have compitition with Emerald. If the D/P/Pt dex holders were in the tournament, Red might have had a hard time with Pearl's Infernape. I dont know. but i do know this...

I'd pwn Red any day. *snickers and sends out Arceus*

5. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. Enlightenment

They were at the battle frontier, so like weren't all the Pokemon set at level 50 for that? If that's the case then Red was fighting on equal ground's with the others and had a fair chance of winning and losing. Normally Red's Pokemon are in the 80's for as far as we know and only Green (The boy) has Pokemon of that level, and I believe Blue's Blastoise Turtley is also level 80. That's probably it.

6. daveshan

daveshan My little friend

Well he might be the strongest, but if he has to go up against white, he's going to have a hard time paying attention to the battle.

7. Yamato-san

Yamato-san I own the 5th gen

I think the only indication that Red is the "strongest" is the fact that he won a tournament several years ago, and there's no telling how things could play out if all the protagonists competed again now. One has to remember that the manga has changed quite a bit since his arc. Whereas Red's tale was the only one to do a (somewhat) straight adaption of the game's adventure from beginning to end, with him being the unquestionable star and all the rivals being just that: rivals, subsequent arcs (sans Emerald) have, for the most part, abandoned having the characters compete in tournaments and gave pretty much every character named after a version color roughly equal spotlight. Hell, one could say that Green and Blue used the Yellow arc to catch up to Red's level of focus by that point, and by the time Fire Red/Leaf Green rolled around, they truly appeared as equals in an ensemble starring cast (I mean, yeah, there was Red's battle against Deoxys, but that seems to have been a circumstance of the long-standing rivalry he had with Sakaki since the first arc).

8. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

But Red keeps getting stronger and stronger :) he doesn't sit around reading comic books! XD

9. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Well, to be completely honest, I always sort of figure that the most popular character in any anime or manga is automatically the strongest. I know it's wrong to assume that but in most cases, it's true. I've seen Red battle in the manga since the original chapters and he seemed to be fairly strong. As the series progressed throughout the years, he proved once again that he was competent enough to be considered the strongest Dex holder. He really does have the the necessary ability, knowledge, and skill to be number one in the manga.

10. GameX

GameX Member

And he's also the senior, and very mature.

Good theories.

11. Jaroda Girl

Jaroda Girl Female Super Nerd

I'm curious if the original Pokedex holders will ever met Dia, Pearl and Platinum. They kinda have to at some twisted point. I would have thought it was going to be in the Platinum chapter, but that's about Platinum and Looker in the Shinnoh Battle Frontier.

Red's definitly strong, but I think Yellow might be a match with her powers.

12. Pseudo-Unlegendary

Pseudo-Unlegendary I be an Exotic One

Red is so much better than Emerald, because he actually raises his pokemon.

I think we can agree that in the game, a player doesn't get a lot of repect if he didn't raise his own pokemon.

13. Emperor Empoleon

Emperor Empoleon Honor of Kalos

Actually I'd say Red is tied with Green for overall skills.

14. mlo54621

mlo54621 New Member

red is ASH;492-s;

15. Primal Crusader V

Primal Crusader V Watch some MANime

Yes, red is the strongest dex holder because he's like one of the 1st trainers to get a pokedex.
    The thing is, you have to beat him at that!

16. Primal Crusader V

Primal Crusader V Watch some MANime

Yes, red is the strongest dex holder because he's like one of the 1st trainers to get a pokedex.
    The thing is, you have to beat him at that!

17. Ememew

Ememew Emerald Mew

I'd have to say that Red's loss to Emerald was most likely due to the rules of the Battle Frontier and the fact that he was only recently restored from being a statue.

I don't think the "level 50" thing really counts, though, because during the Emerald saga they specifically mentioned the difference between Level 50 and Open Level challenges (therefore, the battle was probably Open Level as there was not a method for limiting the level of a Pokemon mentioned during the saga).

But the Battle Dome, where the tournament took place, has the restriction of bringing in 3 Pokemon and choosing 2 to use after seeing the opponent's team. Being limited to a pair of Pokemon each, along with other formal rules, are the sort of restrictions Emerald enjoys and excels at. Additionally, in the manga-verse, levels are not always the best indicator of a Pokemon's strength.

Red, on the other hand, is at his best in a more open style of battle (even when rules came into play at the League tournament, Red credited his victory to his whole team using their attacks together). He also may not have been in top form, due to his recent stint as a statue.
    I can't see his loss due to not taking it seriously, though, because I think it would go against his nature (he'd probably see it as being disrespectful to his opponent).

As for "is Red the strongest?" I think I'd have to see him battle Emerald without the Battle Frontier's restrictions to decide (although, Emerald would then have the opposite problem because he dislikes a battle without rules).

18. smashlloyd20

smashlloyd20 Well-Known Member

I think that Red is the strongest. As stated by Professor Oak, Green (boy green) trains his pokemon better, but if they battled, Red would would come out on top. I think Red lost to Emerald for many of the reasons stated above (he was a statue, maybe he let emerald win, etc.). But I think that Red battles best in a free-form, no-holds-barred, life-or-death battle, whereas Emerald shines in battle with special restritions. Also, I really want the Sinnoh dex holders to meet the rest of the dex holders ;)

19. Dreamingflower

Dreamingflower Trying out new games

I wonder how Red would handle a team battle against the Sinnoh dexholders. Platinum will use her brains in a battle for a good fictory I mean she really did the battle frontier quick I was really suprised. Pearl is fast so he attacks first and it won't be easy and Dia has his special tactics for a good battle. Would be good to see how Red uses everything he learned the past years against those 3. Cuz Dia, Pearl and Platinum really work great together.

20. Darkxninga

Darkxninga Well-Known Member

^.^ i say Red is the strongest! Does he have that title of "battler" or something?....i read about it (like how silver has the title/name "trader, Green "evolver"...etc). Over the years time i think he'll be stronger in the manga then when he was in emerald. NOW OKAY i had no idea they had all the dex holders or something go in a tournament after they were stoned until i read this thread! ._. i think he WOULD have been tired after getting stoned...i mean...what if YOU were stoned...then...tossed into a pokemon battle? i know i'd feel like crap ready to collapse from shock or exhaustion (or confusion)! T-T....i just hope we get to see Red again in the future arcs.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.