• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is reincarnation canon in the Pokemon universe?

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Did 8th film explain tree of life as it explained that fossil Pokemon surive by producing lot offspring ?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Both were revived. Archeops was very frightened to see a completely different world after being resurrected as I recall and it basically had a mental breakdown where it lost control and started to attack.

This is interesting; this suggests that Pokemon do retain some memory of their previous life after being revived. So yes, I think it's safe to say that fossil revival falls more under the category of resurrection rather than a Jurassic Park-style cloning "revival" that results in an entirely new organism.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
This is interesting; this suggests that Pokemon do retain some memory of their previous life after being revived. So yes, I think it's safe to say that fossil revival falls more under the category of resurrection rather than a Jurassic Park-style cloning "revival" that results in an entirely new organism.
This is made even more evident in the Genesect movie where the gentle one is fascinated by a flower that existed in prehistoric times and survived to see the modern age. The Shiny Genesect was very upset at seeing what was once their home being gone and a lot of modern things surrounding it such as buildings and fountains.

Orphalesion

Considering that the anime just makes up whatever it likes whenever it likes, I don't really see how it could would be evidence of that for the games.
So for those episodes maybe. For the games; no.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Divine Retribution said:

In the anime, sure. But I personally wouldn't use the anime's logic as a source for what might be canon in the games considering that the anime pretty much has its own canon separate from everything else.

And speaking of the anime: I'm still not completely sure why the lunar eclipse in EP089 caused the fossilized Kabuto to be resurrected.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
In the anime, sure. But I personally wouldn't use the anime's logic as a source for what might be canon in the games considering that the anime pretty much has its own canon separate from everything else.

And speaking of the anime: I'm still not completely sure why the lunar eclipse in EP089 caused the fossilized Kabuto to be resurrected.
Something about something called “Kabuto oil” in the 4Kids dub.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
The whole argument depends on fantheory about who writes the PokéDex Entries, so no, it isn't, officially.

If the Slowpoke episode of the anime is anything to go by, one scientist writes all the Dex entries (at least for the Gen 1 Pokémon, anyway). And I think he admitted that he basically exaggerates them.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If the Slowpoke episode of the anime is anything to go by, one scientist writes all the Dex entries (at least for the Gen 1 Pokémon, anyway). And I think he admitted that he basically exaggerates them.
Are we sure that wasn’t something added in the 4Kids dub? They were known to completely change lines to be drastically different than how they were originally supposed to be such as why Erika refused to let Ash enter the Celadon Gym the first time.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
They changed a lot in that episode, but the idea that he wrote Pokedex entries was in the original:

'In the Japanese version Dr. Orchid doesn't mention working on this problem "for days"; he simply says he has no idea what the answer to this mystery is.

Professor Oak finds an answer:

Professor Oak: "Wait! Professor Westwood! If there's anyone who knows the answer, Westwood does."
Ash: "Professor Westwood?"
Professor Oak: "He's one of the Pokéologists who programmed the Pokédex. Ah, Professor Westwood lives on Seafoam Island."

In the original, Professor Nishinomori V was one of the people who wrote the Pokemon Bestiary (ずかんを書いた1人なんじゃ); it doesn't say anything about him programming the thing. Programming and writing are two very different skills, you know! The dub will continue with this rewrite throughout the rest of the episode.

The dub also makes up a word "Pokéologists" to cover Pokemon-gaku no ken'i de (ポケモン学の権威 で), which would literally be translated to "as an authority on the study of pokemon."'

Source:

Redstar45

They changed a lot in that episode, but the idea that he wrote Pokedex entries was in the original:

'In the Japanese version Dr. Orchid doesn't mention working on this problem "for days"; he simply says he has no idea what the answer to this mystery is.

Professor Oak finds an answer:

Professor Oak: "Wait! Professor Westwood! If there's anyone who knows the answer, Westwood does."
Ash: "Professor Westwood?"
Professor Oak: "He's one of the Pokéologists who programmed the Pokédex. Ah, Professor Westwood lives on Seafoam Island."

In the original, Professor Nishinomori V was one of the people who wrote the Pokemon Bestiary (ずかんを書いた1人なんじゃ); it doesn't say anything about him programming the thing. Programming and writing are two very different skills, you know! The dub will continue with this rewrite throughout the rest of the episode.

The dub also makes up a word "Pokéologists" to cover Pokemon-gaku no ken'i de (ポケモン学の権威 で), which would literally be translated to "as an authority on the study of pokemon."'

Source:
Correct! And he was connected to the classic og games on websites as he was first to figure out to how to create monsters ball by add powed in his glasses in 1926s

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Are we sure that wasn’t something added in the 4Kids dub? They were known to completely change lines to be drastically different than how they were originally supposed to be such as why Erika refused to let Ash enter the Celadon Gym the first time.

According to Bulbapedia:

Ash thinks Brock is wasting time and proceeds to leave, but Misty and Pikachu are revealed to be inside the perfume store, admiring the variety of aromas. Misty asks about how much it will cost, but Ash steps inside and urges her not to waste her money. The female manager confronts Ash about his negative claim, but Ash pushes it further by saying all perfumes are a waste and turn guys into zombies, pointing to Brock. Everyone in the store is against Ash about his remark, even his own friends, and they kick him out. Ash storms away and heads to the Celadon Gym, but when he tries to enter, none of the Trainers are willing to let him in. They know about his perfume distaste since the perfume originates from the Gym. The lead Trainer stamps a red cross on Ash's face before kicking him out and closing the doors.

In Showdown in Pewter City, Brock states that as a Gym Leader, he has to accept all challenges. However, in this episode, Ash is denied entry into the Gym; this is ironic as later in the episode, Erika even says she has to accept all challenges, so it's possible that the women at the door were acting on their own agenda.

It wasn't Erika herself who refused to allow Ash into the Gym, it was some of her Trainers.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
According to Bulbapedia:

It wasn't Erika herself who refused to allow Ash into the Gym, it was some of her Trainers.

According to Pocketmonsters.net:

In the Japanese original, the Girl Scout tells Satoshi that the leader said that he wasn't welcome for insulting the perfume earlier at the shop. In the English dub, the Girl Scouts explanation is different and she tells him she wouldn't let him in even if was the last Pokémon trainer on earth.

Girl Scout Dub: I wouldn't let you in if you were the last Pokémon trainer on earth. This gym doesn't allow anyone inside who says that perfume is a stinky rip-off.
Girl Scout Japanese Translation: Earlier at the shop, you said perfume has no meaning, didn't you? The Leader said a boy who talks like that shouldn't be allowed in the Gym.

So it was originally Erika who told her Gym assistants not to let Satoshi (Ash) into the Gym.

P.S. Not that I have anything against Bulbapedia under normal circumstances, but their episode pages leave out a lot of information since they typically don't provide the original Japanese dialogue or direct quotes from the anime.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur

In the Japanese original, the Girl Scout tells Satoshi that the leader said that he wasn't welcome for insulting the perfume earlier at the shop. In the English dub, the Girl Scouts explanation is different and she tells him she wouldn't let him in even if was the last Pokémon trainer on earth.

Girl Scout Dub: I wouldn't let you in if you were the last Pokémon trainer on earth. This gym doesn't allow anyone inside who says that perfume is a stinky rip-off.
Girl Scout Japanese Translation: Earlier at the shop, you said perfume has no meaning, didn't you? The Leader said a boy who talks like that shouldn't be allowed in the Gym.

I always thought that the Girl Scouts in the Japanese original said no boys were allowed in the Gym whatsoever (which is why Ash disguised himself as a girl later on in the episode).

Back to the topic at hand:

Did 8th film explain tree of life as it explained that fossil Pokemon surive by producing lot offspring ?

If they were already extinct, how could they have children? Unless they revived a pair of male and female Fossils, who could then breed. :confused:

Last edited:

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues

So it was originally Erika who told her Gym assistants not to let Satoshi (Ash) into the Gym.

P.S. Not that I have anything against Bulbapedia under normal circumstances, but their episode pages leave out a lot of information since they typically don't provide the original Japanese dialogue or direct quotes from the anime.

But why did she refuse to battle him when the league rules say that gym leaders can't refuse challengers?

Don't they reproduce the same way as other Pokemon? We didn't find out how they survived but we know that some fossil Pokemon are still alive underground like we saw in the Grandpa Canyon episode and the Omanyte episode at the Ruins of Alph I think it was?

Leonhart

Imagineer
NovaBrunswick said:
If they were already extinct, how could they have children? Unless they revived a pair of male and female Fossils, who could then breed. :confused:

I might be misinterpreting what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure that it was vaguely implied in that movie that all the Pokemon that lived there were always native to that area, which pretty much means that the Fossil Pokemon living in that habitat were residing there all along and never went extinct, so they weren't actually revived from Fossils to begin with.

Redstar45

Wasn't it implied through design that Mallow's Shaymin was reincarnated from her mother as well? (Along with Shaymin in general being connected to angels and mystics.)
Yeah but it is different from 11th film ones and anime version of one from Pokemon game event (Dppt) anime love to add multiply Gods and mystical Pokemon in their own universe.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
But why did she refuse to battle him when the league rules say that gym leaders can't refuse challengers?

Because of what Ash said about the perfume at the beginning, and the Girl Scouts at the Gym overheard him, so they probably told Erika not to battle him.

Wasn't it implied through design that Mallow's Shaymin was reincarnated from her mother as well? (Along with Shaymin in general being connected to angels and mystics.)

I haven't watched any of the Sun/Moon anime (in fact, I haven't watched the anime since the XYZ series), but from reading about it on Bulbapedia, I think Tapu Fini actually showed Mallow an illusion of her mother with its magical mist. In her place, a rose grew, which turned out to be Shaymin, so it's more than likely that Mallow's Shaymin is her mother reincarnated as a Pokémon. Which makes me wonder if other humans in the Pokémon world can be reincarnated as Pokémon when they die.

(By the way, was it ever specified what Mallow's mother died of? They say she was very ill before she died, but they never really said exactly what illness she had.)

Last edited: