• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Religion Generally a Good Thing?

olbeefy

Banned
religion is simply a set of pointless ethics, foolish moralities and pointless laws and restrictions. humanity is essentially autonomous, and religion denatures it, to the detriment of the whole.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Olbeefy pointless Ethics! Be kind to your Neighbor (Pointless?) Foolish Moralities! (Do unto others as you's have for yourself (foolish?) Now the laws and restrictions I can't fault you on. Religion has the potential to be a great thing. But mindless adherence to dogma is not what it should be about. How hard is it to just "be good to one another"? In the bottom dark forgotten history of religions, that is what they wanted us to do!

I have done that for over 4 decades without bending a knee to any idol. I think I am a better person because of it than if i had religion in my life. Because of just one little thing I have seen. That thing is,"If you don't believe what I believe then you need to be saved."

Most religions say THEY are the right way... the ONLY way into the great beyond, Heaven, Valhalla, Elysian Fields whatever the goal is called. I think if you join a religion to get outa hell... you failed! If you join because you believe the manta preached then you got it right!

So I say ask yourself, "Did I become a _________ because I want to go to ________?" If you answer yes... You joined for the prize at the end, To me that is a fail!

An example:
Two co-workers profess to be Christian. One is always telling me how I have to Christian like him to get into heaven. The other, everyday lives the word, demonstrating by example.

Who has it right?

My daughter worships Artemis & I am cool with that.

Last edited:

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Olbeefy pointless Ethics! Be kind to your Neighbor (Pointless?) Foolish Moralities! (Do unto others as you's have for yourself (foolish?) Now the laws and restrictions I can't fault you on. Religion has the potential to be a great thing. But mindless adherence to dogma is not what it should be about. How hard is it to just "be good to one another"? In the bottom dark forgotten history of religions, that is what they wanted us to do!

I have done that for over 4 decades without bending a knee to any idol. I think I am a better person because of it than if i had religion in my life. Because of just one little thing I have seen. That thing is,"If you don't believe what I believe then you need to be saved."

Most religions say THEY are the right way... the ONLY way into the great beyond, Heaven, Valhalla, Elysian Fields whatever the goal is called. I think if you join a religion to get outa hell... you failed! If you join because you believe the manta preached then you got it right!

So I say ask yourself, "Did I become a _________ because I want to go to ________?" If you answer yes... You joined for the prize at the end, To me that is a fail!

This. I cannot agree more

An example:
Two co-workers profess to be Christian. One is always telling me how I have to Christian like him to get into heaven. The other, everyday lives the word, demonstrating by example.

Who has it right?
The problem is, people will always find a way to justify that they are right. I have a gay friend who believes it is only just and fair that I'm going to hell because I'm an atheist and I have "renounced" God- even though he's gay, which the Bible quite obviously advocates against. He also says he used to be a bad person before he became a believer. He believes he will go to heaven. Does it make sense? No. But convincing him he's wrong... I have better things to do in my time.

My daughter worships Artemis & I am cool with that.
That sounds rather interesting :p

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
The problem is, people will always find a way to justify that they are right. I have a gay friend who believes it is only just and fair that I'm going to hell because I'm an atheist and I have "renounced" God- even though he's gay, which the Bible quite obviously advocates against. He also says he used to be a bad person before he became a believer. He believes he will go to heaven. Does it make sense? No. But convincing him he's wrong... I have better things to do in my time.
What he is is an Oxymoron. He believes in a religion that doesn't condone his lifestyle. So for him it's not the dogma he follows but the idea of God. An interesting conundrum!

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I can make a pointless example about any argument. What's your point? There's almost always an exception to a rule.

You still haven't explained how the religion directly lead to the cause.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Ghost you actually have me on a point. It isn't the religion that is at fault. Most religious dogma is inherently good stuff to follow. The Failure lies in the people who "ran" the religion into sin. As I will not take the time to fine the sin in EVERY religion ever I will just say I am probably wrong, but that won't change my opinion because I am entitled to have it.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
You could have just said that in the first place, ya know?

GhostAnime

Searching for her...

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Because I knew/know I am right in my belief. I just can't prove it, kinda like religions and their gods. There is no proof a god exists but people still believe in them and the stories about them. Those stories are meant to make us aspire to be better than are. That is the good side of religion, You have to give up your worldly possessions (donate to us), crusades, jihads are some of the bad.

Until a god poke his head through the clouds and says, "Hey Malanu you're being an ***!" I'm actually doing a pretty good job being a good human being believe it or not.

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs

meteor64

Show Me Ya Noobs
Hardly. Knowing and believing are entirely different things, surely that much is obvious.