• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Religion Generally a Good Thing?

Rensch

Everyone has his or her own ideologies, be it political, social, economic, religious or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that as long as you do not press that onto other people to a dangerous extent. Different views exist next to each other and keep each other at bay avoiding destructive radicalism. This actually makes them complement each other, creating a something that can actually be realy practical. This is why democracy is generally a succesful system.

Religion, however, has a particular tendency towards the, in my opinion, very dangerous concept of absolute truth. Less spiritually inspired people usually do not have this, except maybe for the most radical amongst them, such as fascists or maoists. This, however, is mostly fueled by things like poverty, exploitation or repression.

In religion on the other hand, there is usually a belief in a surpreme force judging over good and evil that must be obeyed. Therefor, non-followers need to be converted and incompatible legislature needs to be eradicated. This, at its core, always leads to intolerance. Even clearly intelligent and educated people with good jobs seem to sometimes show this form of intolerance and pass it on to their children.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
I think that if you met a stranger and spent a couple of hours together and by the time you left you DIDN'T know what religion they were, then that is better than if you did know.

Why?

Because most of the people who are the problem in religion, politics sport etc. are the people who let it define them or are obsessed with it.

Those are the people who are the problem.

Now this shows up commonly in religious matters for several reasons.

One, most religions have a basis, "I'm right, You're wrong, I need to convince you of this" mentality. Now this mentality isn't wrong in itself, but the reason why it doesn't work in most of them is because it is used with opinions. And opinions you can't prove right or wrong unless it's about something which you can collect evidence on. If you can't prove something then you are just going to carry on arguing.

Two, obsession and defining oneself upon something else be it politics, religion etc. always produces extremists. And extremists are the bane of peace. Why? Because people generally don't like being shouted at especially about opinions. But religion commonly creates these people.

Three, most religions are akin to big businesses, whole selling belief, when someone should be working out for themselves what they believe in. Accepting without thinking something through just shows you lack the intelligence to think for yourself.

I could go on, but three is generally a strong number to go on.

My closing statement is this,

"Who likes extremists?"

I admire the self confidence, but that's pretty much all I like about them.

Sonicmann

Religion is dangerous. When anyone will willingly disregard fact based evidence for their belief in a higher power, Houston, we have a problem.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
What's the other side you're referring to?

ebilly99

Americanreigon champ
Religion. The bible said it is true (Or any other holy book)

Science. But thats only circular reasoning. We have evidence that it is not 100% acurate.

Religion. I'm not listing.

GetOutOfBox

Original Series Fan
The fact part is the problem, neither side has substantial evidence to sway the other.

Haha, I love how it often comes to this. "Both science and religion lack evidence". Something is not considered "Science" unless it is theoretically sound. Furthermore, something is not considered a law, unless it can be irrefutably proven. Here's an example:

Question: "How did humans come to exist?"

Religion's Answer: "The man in the sky was bored, so he created the Earth and made a Human man from mud. He made a Human female from a rib he took out of the man, because there was no mud handy. Those two people bred with each other, then their sons and daughters bred with each other, and their grandsons and granddaughters bred with each other, to eventually form the human race!"

Science's Answer: "The earth coalesced out of a cloud of rock and various elements due to the compressive force of the solar system's gravitational fields. Various elements present on the surface of the planet were bound together as a result of random chemical reactions brought on by various natural forces, such as immense heat. They came together to form very primitive ancestors to life, strands of proteins. Those proteins eventually combined as a result of similar chemical reactions, producing Single-Celled organisms. Due to random mutations in those organisms reproductive systems, multi-celled organisms were formed. At this point, the theory of evolution takes over, which goes on to explain how, through natural selection, these organisms evolved slowly into the sophisticated beings we see today. @Religion, how is it that an entire statue of mud was required to make a man, but only a single segment of bone was required to make the first woman? That makes no sense."

I hope that settles the whole "Science doesn't have evidence either" argument I keep seeing all the time.

Last edited:

Yellowtailotaku

Minagami Protector
I don't think religion in and of itself is bad, but like anything else in life, a few people misinterpret something or decide to use it for their own agenda. The main point of any religion is really just to be decent people.

Sabonea_Masukippa

I don't think religion in and of itself is bad, but like anything else in life, a few people misinterpret something or decide to use it for their own agenda. The main point of any religion is really just to be decent people.

Except the parts where the religous texts explicitly states something that we would define as morally 'good' or 'nuetral' as bad, or stuff we would consider morally bad as acceptable. Stuff that you cannot misinterpret or explain away.
For example, you can't misinterpret the Jewish/Christian God's original decrees on slavery (hint, he was (is?) all for it, so long as you only used foreigners).

Last edited:

DasBoot

"Just to be decent people"? Obviously, you haven't studied a religion in a long time.

DarkXWolf12

Nope it's a bad thing, it teaches some people idiotic things. It's also a major problem for me when people start saying that there is a God, if you are a nonbeliever you are possessed by the devil. I mean seriously..? I'm a proud atheist by the way.

Truth[N]

Truth[N]Love
I believe this to be a rather silly, silly enough for me to answer.

Religion, like everything else, could be good or bad.

I tend not to care what others believe, and by that I mean when I look at you or talk to you, I am only going to allow what you say, how you act, and what you do to define who you are. I try not (though I fail at it often) to let people be defined by a definition of religion, race, gender, belief, job, work or hobby because this is to take away individuality. If I define you by anything but your very character, then I am stereotyping (could be good or bad).

Pride is in the heart of us all, which I believe to be the root of most my problems (though many might not seem them as problems or pride being a problem), and with pride comes the natural tendency to judge and look at others instead of looking inside of ourselves. No matter if you are 'religious' or not, black or white, a monk or a construction worker, we have a natural inclination to be proud. Even if people believe in God, that doesn't mean much. Even demons believe God exists. I mean, of course they do, they once knew Him. The battle ground is not if God exists or not, though it has become an ever widening one in this age, but if they will follow Him.

I speak from a Christian point of View, so I cannot speak for everyone, nor every 'religion,' but Jesus is pretty clear that we are to humble ourselves and love others. That I am to remove the log, the dirt from my own eye, instead of looking at the speck in the eye of my brother. How could I judge, when Jesus died for me, the dirtiest of sinners. This gives me great comfort because, I don't have to judge anyone, nor do I have to try to be perfect, act perfect, or say the perfect things. At the same time, I have to watch wanting to, and wanting to believe I am better than anyone. When that happens, I lose humility, and therefore I lose a love for people. I am called to Love and I desire to Love.

I don't think it matters whether you are religious or not. We all have this tendency to find ourselves better than most people. This is the issue. The issue is not belief. You can believe whatever you want and still do the same things you say you hate. Right now some of you are saying religion causes stupidity and ignorance. I am hesitant to say that not looking at religion and understanding it is allowing ignorance of historical past. There were great minds like Galileo, who believed in God.

The issue is are people are trying to change themselves or change others? Are we so proud of ourselves that we are quick to judge others, and yet hesitate to look at ourselves and see what we can change to be a better human to others and society? Do we think we are so smart and wise that we know everything? Do we think that religions established for thousands of years are really ignorant and truly cause stupidity?

I believe it is easier to judge people and group people together than it is to understand. Based off personal experience.

There are, what many call 'extremists' in every part of the world, in every culture, race, religion, and even academic study.

My belief is not based off of fear of going to hell. Nor is it in desire of going to heaven. Logically, who would want to rot forever in a burning land? Or who wouldn't want to die and be in a perfect place? So of course I desire such things, but that is not why I believe.

I believe because Jesus saved me. He has saved me from much grief and pain, much worry and sorrow. I can back up my belief logically, but when it comes down to it, I believe because Jesus has done so much for me when I look back. There are so many things that I could only attribute to His protection over my life. He has given me life.

Not only that, I truly believe the Bible has educated me of many things that people agree with immediately. I feel more educated because of the Word of God.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Nope it's a bad thing, it teaches some people idiotic things. It's also a major problem for me when people start saying that there is a God, if you are a nonbeliever you are possessed by the devil. I mean seriously..? I'm a proud atheist by the way.

No need to declare it, your ignorance and arrogance say what you are.

clone1

Aesthetics brahz
I think religion is a great thing for everyone to have in their lives. Even if you are an athiest (which I respect your decision), religion teaches you good morals. It makes you a better human being overall. That's just my opinion, no need to bash.

7 tyranitars

religion have proven to be used for nasty and evil things in the past, however it is not good or bad. it is mainly used to controll people with, people are affraid of certain things if a religion says you'll have to this or that and the reward will comfort you in that way then they will do it.

religion teaches you good morals

please religion and good morals don't go allong don't say that crap, I don't think discriminating people is good morals don't you? also if good morals would be thought to us with a reward punishment system we should be very ashamed of ourselves, religion did not teach good morals, they started to develope at the same time and because religion was such a big thing for a good ammound of years it melted together.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Religion can be used for good and evil like anything else; it can be your rock and your companion or your prison and oppressor. You can spread it to someone for malicious purposes or for cathartic. Saying it doesn't teach morals is a lie. It does. Saying it only teaches morals is also a lie.

It's the same deal with athiesm. We should outgrow this stereotype that a moral vaccum exists in athiesm. Athiests may learn morals such as self-reliance and unconditional kindness (ie, I don't need the promise of heaven to help others). Even though athiesm isn't simply for morals, it isn't without morals.

They are unfortunately popular lies because some frustrated debaters resort to distorting their opponent's opinions. And in a debate between logic and faith, there will continue to be frustrated debaters.

clone1

Aesthetics brahz
please religion and good morals don't go allong don't say that crap, I don't think discriminating people is good morals don't you?

Religion is a great link to morality. It is a way to catch the attention of others in order to reinforce the messages of the natural morality. And I never said you don't have good morals if you don't follows religion. I'm just stating it's a great way to achieve them. And part of religion is accpetance, fyi. Don't go saying it discriminates people.

AwesomeGuy

Arrogance
Religion is a good thing twisted one too many times for the uses of evil. There's no denying that the basic concepts of religion are wonderful things that help many a person cope with life, and give them meaning to be good, but the problem comes when institutions twist relgion for their own nefarious gains. Most every relgion is guilty of it at some point or another, because the "Leader" of a relgion can easily just say, "God says to do this, do it." and suddenly he'll have an army ready to do his bidding.

So the question is not whether religion is a good or bad thing, religion at its barebones concepts is quite good. The question is, is Organized Religion a bad thing? To which I would have to say yes.