• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Resurrection REALLY possible?

Brumrha

Banned
When someone dies, they are supposed to stay dead. That's what common sense tells us. But then, those Christians believed that their deity, Jesus Christ, was resurrected after being crucified to bring about all sorts of miracles to those that are in need.

However, the "real" jaw-dropping issue is that I've found out that there is a show being premiered on Discovery Health, which discusses about someone who seemingly died, but was somehow brought back to life. The first time I heard this, I was like, "WHA?!?!?!"

Yeah, so this is why I'm bringing this question to you, people: Is there even a "remote" possibility of having someone get resurrected from the dead??

Any & all answers can be directed to my mailbox.

*goes back into "The Thinker" position in the vain attempt of coming up with new topics for debate*

AlanL

Infinite Curiosity
Death doesn't mean everything in the body dies at once. If there's enough cells in the body alive for the body to sustain life and heal, even if the body's been clinically dead, then, I'd say it is possible.

The main key is if the brain is still alive or not.

darkjigglypuff

Borderline Troll
Depends how rotted it is.

Anything less fresh than a day-old would probably be in so much pain from being rotted alive, that even if it could be brought back it would probably rather stay dead.

Or go after some brains, to make the pain go away.

DarthVader

Brumrha said:
When someone dies, they are supposed to stay dead. That's what common sense tells us. But then, those Christians believed that their deity, Jesus Christ, was resurrected after being crucified to bring about all sorts of miracles to those that are in need.

However, the "real" jaw-dropping issue is that I've found out that there is a show being premiered on Discovery Health, which discusses about someone who seemingly died, but was somehow brought back to life. The first time I heard this, I was like, "WHA?!?!?!"

Yeah, so this is why I'm bringing this question to you, people: Is there even a "remote" possibility of having someone get resurrected from the dead??

The bodily ressurection you refer to in the first paragraph is a separate issue entirely as it involves one's body being revived supernaturally. But in regards to someone seemingly dying and being brought back - my opinion on this would be similiar to NDEs. While it may be possible in theory sometimes, generally I think that if this happens the person in question was never really dead.

TomDraco

I'm a /tr/ainer.
If we're talking about full-blown "back from the dead" resurrection, that's highly doubtful. Once a body reaches it's limits, there's really no going back.

If we're talking about "take this guy's brain out and preserve it, and later we'll reattach it", that's something possible.

~*Lyra

Pokémaniac
Reviving the dead is actually fairly common in hospitals in the First World.

100 years ago, if someone's heart stopped, he would be worm food. Now we simply restart his heart and he's "resurrected".

50 years ago if someone's brainwaves went flat, she would be sent to the morgue. Now many "brain-dead" people have been snatched from the jaws of death.

The clinical definition of "dead" is getting pushed further and further back as medicine advances.

Lucos

Depends on what you see as "dead".

I would say that you're dead when your brainwaves run flat. Then there is no way to get someone back. When your heartbeat stops then there is obviously still a chance of living, they just try to "restart" the heart. But when your brainwaves stop, unlike what Lyra says, it's NOT possible to bring someone back after his/her brainwaves went totally flat.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I think once the brain is dead, it's impossible to revive it.

So no, I don't believe in that kind of "resurrection" :S

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Yeah, it "REALLY" is. You just gotta believe. Jesus died for you, man. That in itself deserves a bro-fist.

Lucos

Yeah, it "REALLY" is. You just gotta believe. Jesus died for you, man. That in itself deserves a bro-fist.

Do I sense a tiny little bit of cynicm here?

~*Lyra

Pokémaniac
!

But when your brainwaves stop, unlike what Lyra says, it's NOT possible to bring someone back after his/her brainwaves went totally flat.

[IMG200]http://www.owlpages.com/the-owls/pictures/orly_owl.jpg[/IMG200]

http://www.newsnet5.com/health/16363548/detail.html

Link said:
They said Thomas suffered two heart attacks and had no brain waves for more than 17 hours. At about 1:30 a.m. Saturday, her heart stopped and she had no pulse. A respiratory machine kept her breathing and rigor mortis had set in, doctors said.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
Do I sense a tiny little bit of cynicm here?

I suppose. But only because this thread is reeks of Christian skepticism.

EDIT: this is my 1337th post. Which, incidentally, spells "leet". Therefore, I will provide a leet translation of above message for your enjoyment.

I SpoZe bUHT 0nLy cuZ t3H tHr3d sM311z liEk KRishTiOn SK3pTiZism

Last edited:

Lucos

[IMG200]http://www.owlpages.com/the-owls/pictures/orly_owl.jpg[/IMG200]

http://www.newsnet5.com/health/16363548/detail.html

I don't know what to think of that. from experience I know what brainwaves do not go flat very soon after a person died. Brainwaves can stay active for another 24 hours even though the doctors would say the person is dead. Brains are like a battery, they slowly get drained from all their energy and activity after the person died. It usually takes a while before the activity in the brains fully stop after the person deceased.

Also, in some rare cases, people get "resurrected" after their brains went ALMOST flat and in those cases the resurrected person usually suffers from brain damage which means they became blind, numb and/or lost their ability to speak. Which means that technically it should be IMPOSSIBLE for that woman to get resurrected from death after her brainwaves totally stopped without any permanent damage to her brains.

Last edited:

AlanL

Infinite Curiosity
The event mentioned in the article tempts me to say there was a mis-measurement or mis-statement. Brain waves, as mentioned above, are long lasting. Her heart would've had to have been stopped for a while for the brain waves to stop to begin with most likely. I think the doctors were referring to some specific function of the brain, or something more specific than general brain waves.

Either that, or there's a way to re-start a brain, which could have applications for cases like this in the future.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
In my opinion, it depends on what you mean by 'ressurection'.

Though, on discovery health I believe I saw a similar thing, there was this woman, whom, had, in her life (up to now, she's still alive I believe), collapsed several times, and almost every time (or every time), woke up in the morgue (usually late at night, she even said she tried to leave, but was locked in).
Currently to date, she apparently has had multiple death certificates.
According to the doctors, whenever it happened, there were no signs of life, no pulse, no breathing, possible no brain waves (I don't remember if they mentioned that part), and it's possible (I don't remember it clearly, but they could have done it) they tried to revive her.

Though with Jesus, it's highly unlikely there is even a remote possibility that he came back from the dead, because, the part with the woman I mentioned, it's possible with her, that it was a genetic fluke, which, would be highly unlikely to be seen at the time Jesus existed.
I remember hearing something about Jesus dying, sealed in a cave, people were told to check the cave 3 days later, jesus was gone, something like that.
They said something about it being sealed with a boulder, and when checked on, it took around three or so people to move it.
It's not only highly unlikely that jesus rose from the dead, but it's highly unlikely that he was able to leave the cave, because, it's highly unlikely that jesus was strong enough to move the boulder, and, have enough care to put it back in it's place.

Also, the woman, she wasn't dead for more than a day (maybe more than two, I can't remember the show too clearly, but I remember the basics of what happened.).
Also about the woman, she wasn't classified as being in a coma, she was considered dead, and pretty much each time she woke up, she ended up in the morgue, usually in pitch black darkness, on one of those rolling tables, around 12 am-4am.
She even commented on the experience, she said she could remember collapsing, but the next second she said, everything went pitch black, and she said she had no memories/remembered nothing of what happened when she was 'dead', the next thing she remembered/knew, she was awake again, waking up, in the pitch black darkness of what was the morgue.
The thing with this woman, is that when the paramedics, ambulance, what say you, got there, there was no pulse, breathing, nothing, and in the morgue, she wasn't on life support, she was on either one of those rolling metal tables, or one of the stationary metal tables. She did say it was uncomfortable waking up, and in the morgue it was very cold. She tried to get out, by opening the door, and when it was locked, she began screaming and banging on the door. I think once someone came and found her, but I think all the other times, she ended up waiting the rest of the time. The woman, based on what went on, suffered no damage, she was speaking on the tv show, in one of those interview things. Her husband and children (or family, I think), also were interviewed.

With Jesus, I believe it would have had to have been hard to be ressurected/come back from the dead. If I can remember, from the whole 'being crucified thing', he was or would have had to have been bleeding from gaping holes that were in his hands, and if I can remember, holes somewhere on his legs, not to mentions cuts, scratches, and wounds from a crown of thorns or something on his head, plus, if I can remember, rocks or something were thrown, oh, and he was on the cross, likely for a while, so, sunburn.
This means, he would have been in excruciating pain, to where, even three days or something like that, part of his skin would've pealed, but not all of it, he could still be bleeding, and his wounds infected.
Knowing a cave and the lack of medicine knowledge, it's unlikely he was able to use any plants inside the cave (if there were any inside), to heal himself, which, could either do some small amount of healing, or, do damage via poison. Especially since it was a cave, it's even more unlikely that there were any edible or non-poisonous plants to begin with, meaning, he wouldn't have much to eat, it's unlikely there'd be anything to create oxygen, so, he wouldn't have much oxygen to breath for long. Considering it was a cave, there was likely a good deal of parasites, and poisonous creatures inside, not to mention diseases, or disease carrying creatures. Though it is a cave, so, there could have been hidden passages, or other ways out, unlikely, but possible, but if the whole passages thing is possible, or even true, it's more likely that passages, means long, winding, almost-going-on-forever type tunnels (a bunch, maybe a few, several, or even hundreds), and most turning out to be dead ends.
Factoring that all in, even if he was brought back from the dead, it's unlikely that:
A. There was enough oxygen in the cave for him, and any living, oxygen breathing creatures to share for long, unless there was an abundance of plants that gave large enough amounts of oxygen
B. The amount of remaining oxygen in there when he was resurrected, depending on when he was resurrected, was enough to supply him for very long/was enough that would allow him to breath & then move the boulder (because it's said that the human body uses more oxygen when doing something, especially a task like moving a boulder)
C. The animals hadn't gotten to him (meaning, eaten him, or eaten a large amount of him), and he hadn't rotted too much to still live.
D. He had the strength to move the boulder, and then put it back in place (considering, lack of food, oxygen, just died, was in serious pain, likely that still has wounds that aren't completely healed, wounds likely infected or poisoned.).
E. Had strength, time, etc, to go wandering through tunnels, passages, etc (if the whole cave having passages thing is true).

Even if he was resurrected by a supernatural power, there are still so many problems that would exist.
Or even if, say, by using logic and science, we could consider the condition he went into, as, a coma, well, not only do we still have the same problems, but we also have more problems from that.

EDIT:
Oh, and I may be confused about certain things/on certain subjects. By this, I mean the whole after being crucified, 3 days, sealed in, gone, I may be confusing that with something else.

Last edited:

Ipwnyou

According to my high school forensics class death is defined as "The point at which life has ceased and they can not be brought back" (or something along those lines. Exact words elude me)
This would mean that to a cave man, anyone who has a heart attack is considered dead the second their heart stops beating. Nowadays, people survive heart attacks all the time, and doctors can get there hearts beating again long after they've stopped.
With science going the way it is I think this can only improve. Perhaps in the future doctors will be able to reanimate any corpse that remains intact?

scarecrow_stitches

blissfully dead
I think in some cases, it's possible. Like when someone has an accident, say an overdose of heroin... And is clinicly dead for several minutes. The heart can stop but with the right medical intervention, it can beat agan. Sometimes a person can be resurected, but only under certain circumstances.

I don't believe that someone could be dead for days and then resurected. Within a few minutes, sure. Anything else just seems unreasonable from a scientific point of view.

Last edited:

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
@ianflowforever: I know that about 5% of this site is made up of Christians, which includes me. I know all of you will disagree with me on this and pound me with reasons why it's wrong and stupid. There are just some things that you cannot prove with science.