• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is Serena overrated?

Is Serena overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 61.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
I like Serena a lot but it feels like she is a way too overrated in the Pokemon community.. what do you'll think? If you think she is/not overrated, why?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
*Answers phone* This is for you

Dragalge: Delete this thread if you know what's good for you Peter already had to punch someone to delete a thread let's not have your fate be like the unfortunate soul that got it handed to him earlier.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Not in my opinion. She has an awesome personality, and would be a great best friend for another fashion-loving girl. Her Pokemon team also suits her well. And even though I don’t really like Showcases as a goal for a main lead, they suit Serena perfectly given her character.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I think yes she is overrated, though she was the best character in whole XY series and was the most developed character in that series for some people who just think her crush defines her whole character. Besides other than iris and to some extent DP brock alll other companions are overrated to a certain degree some are less and some are more. Also, this thread is gonna turn into a warzone quickly.

Red and Blue

Overrated as in best Pokegirl? Maybe, but I think she is a fine character on her own. Just wish they gave her a more interesting goal.

Also I predict this thread won't last long

Kintaro

Banned
Pretty sure character threads like this aren't allowed as they turn into bashing and arguments. Honestly this should be closed.

Whether people like or dislike a character is up to them, we don't need threads like this to cause arguments.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I just feel like she was kind of flat compared to the other girls. She didnt have a goal or really any reason at all to be travelling with Ash for a really long time and when she finally got one it felt kinda forced. Clement and Bonnie also suffered from this issue only Clement never got a reason.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
Before this thread burns.

When I accidentally made a side character that has similar plot beats Serena had in terms of reasons to leave home, changing her goal mid plot, doing really well (As a movie star.) while keeping her original plan in mind. (News reporter!)

Actual growth as a trainer and even interactions with a boy she has a crush on. (That doesn't consume most of her character.) Yet I did it better in a short fanfic arc than the anime has done in three years... saying Serena is overrated is an understatement.

Epicocity

Before this thread inevitably closes, someone please tell me...how on earth do you all think Serena's crush consumed her character when about 90% of her character arc had next to nothing to do with Ash...?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I like Serena a lot but it feels like she is a way too overrated in the Pokemon community.. what do you'll think? If you think she is/not overrated, why?
Honestly I do think she's overrated. I've seen so many of Serena's qualities way before she made her debut in Yellow of Pokemon Adventures who also has a hard-to-hide crush on Red. From how they met in a forest as children after encountering a wild Pokemon to how they decide to go on a Pokemon Journey starting off by searching for the person they most admire due to showing how great Pokemon are and their heroic qualities to how they both happen to have a female friend who just loves to tease about their crush that they have a difficult time hiding etc. Due to these specific coincidences, some people, including myself, do believe that Serena's character is inspired by Yellow with some major differences of course. Yellow's character and story isn't 90% about having a crush on Red. In fact her crush is more of something on the side. Whereas Serena is a main character, Yellow is a leading main character like that of Ash and is probably actually the first female lead character in the Pokemon series. Already a huge difference I can tell you is that Yellow's Pokemon Journey is to find Red not because she simply just admires him a lot but because Red is literally in some huge trouble because hes' mysteriously disappeared. Whereas Serena's storyline is a form of Pokemon contests, Yellow's is more of a traditional Pokemon journey off to rescue someone and defeat the dastardly villains behind Red's disappearance. As for judging Serena as her own character without comparison? She's actually a pretty well-developed character. Yes, I do think she's overrated but that doesn't mean she's a bad character, she's an interesting character that I think a lot of people can relate to specifically how she has no clue what she wants to do with her life until she finds it through Kalos's answer to Pokemon Contests and it's a lot of fun seeing Serena doing her best.

Last edited:

shoz999

I wonder what will people call misty then, she didn't even had her own goal arc nor had focus on her while being a background character and became more bland season by season.
Yes she did. She did had her own "goal arcs". She had many episodes, including a tournament arc during the whirlpool islands, aimed at developing Misty's goal to become the ultimate master of water-type Pokemon. The reason why it feels like she has no goal arcs is because the Johto seasons were not only some of the largest Pokemon seasons together but had so much filler in-between whereas XYZ is straight-to-the-point.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Yes she did. She did had her own "goal arcs". She had many episodes, including a tournament arc during the whirlpool islands, aimed at developing Misty's goal to become the ultimate master of water-type Pokemon. The reason why it feels like she has no goal arcs is because the Johto seasons were not only some of the largest Pokemon seasons together but had so much filler in-between whereas XYZ is straight-to-the-point.

Yeah and how long did that arc went at best 3-4 episodes then it was succeded by lugia/TR arc, i was talking about the goal arc which stretched throughout the series like with may, dawn and to some extent serena. Her water type goal was very poorly handled, she even didn't battled much other than TR. Anyways talking about overrated what do people talk about dawn, may or lillie who are crowd favourite of there series. I wont talk about lana and mallow since they are less talked about.

Nodame

Misty <3
So overrated. She could have been a really good character but she was made into a bland love interest.

I don’t know why Misty and other girls are being compared against when this thread is solely about Serena.

shoz999

Before this gets closed, yes she’s overrated. She could have been a really good character but she was made into a bland love interest.
Nope. She could've been made into an interesting love interest had they made her Ash's rival with a big sister personality like they did in the games but kept the anime's love interest part. To this day, the greatest Pokemon rivalry to me will always be Ruby & Sapphire. There is possibly quite nothing like their rivalry in the entirety of anime & manga everywhere.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Nope. She could've been made into an interesting love interest had they made her Ash's rival with a big sister personality like they did in the games but kept the anime's love interest part. To this day, the greatest Pokemon rivalry to me will always be Ruby & Sapphire. There is possibly quite nothing like their rivalry in the entirety of anime & manga everywhere.

Adventures should not be compared to anime as manga has far level of freedom, which anime wriers dont have, manga also have some dark plots which cannot be brought in the anime same way this series is not about love, it was already much that they added canon crush for the first time they were not gonna alter the whole dynamic of the show by showing more lovey dovey scenes.

shoz999

Adventures should not be compared to anime as manga has far level of freedom, which anime wriers dont have, manga also have some dark plots which cannot be brought in the anime same way this series is not about love, it was already much that they added canon crush for the first time they were not gonna alter the whole dynamic of the show by showing more lovey dovey scenes.
Ah. But see. You just explained why I love comparing the anime and manga! There like the same... AND YET SO DIFFERENT! That's even MORE of a reason to compare the two! That's why it's so fun! Also you make it sound like the anime has no dark plots? Did you forget that many of the interesting stories the anime has to tell are it's darker plots? That's what made Mewtwo Strikes Back and The Spell of the Unown stand out so much! As of now we speak, some fans are excited to see how the anime's take on the Apocalyptic world of Guzzlord ends, I myself being one of them.

Ashton Ketchum

No. Because, in comparison with other Poke Girls, Serena from beginning of saga and Serena from ending of saga is two separate characters. Which is make adventure story the great adventure story.

Status
Not open for further replies.