• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is suicide cowardly?

Qoombie

Banned
This topic is branching off from another, entirely different subject. With that said, do you hold the opinion that suicide is cowardly, or a sin? It's wrong I believe, in that it hurts other people around you, and that you're offering a permanent solution to a problem(s) that you don't know will be permanent or not. That's about as far as my judgment on the matter reaches, though. It's one thing to label something morally wrong, it crosses a different line when it's called "Cowardly." It's one step too far. Truth being, you don't know what's going through the head of someone contemplating suicide. You don't know what they've been through, what they are going through, or if they have serious mental issues. If you look at someone that hanged them self in middle school and say "What a coward", would you say the same if you knew the person suffered from medical depression, and his or her medication wasn't taking effect? Or what if they were schizophrenic and were constantly being tormented by different voices? What if the person had a traumatic past or abusive childhood? What if they were still being abused? What if? What if? What if? I, you, we...don't know. To carelessly label an act like suicide cut and dry as cowardly is the epitome of judgementalism, because the person espousing the label assumes to know the situation of the individual.

Is there respect to be had in taking your own life? No. Is there honor in it? No. Don't assume to know the life and personal struggles of every person that didn't finish the race though.

As a side note, Samson committed suicide. With God's help. It wasn't a sin or cowardly though, he took a few thousand Philistines with him!

Last edited:

StonE EdgE

Brock n' Roll
I do not consider suicide cowardly. However in my faith, Roman Catholicism, suicide is considered the one sin that cannot be forgiven, because you have taken away the greatest gift that God has given you; Life. I have known one person that has committed suicide, and i respect his decision.

Venomfang

Perky Goth
No. I think it perfectly fine to end your life if you want to.

Khaoscontrol

Obsessor Collector
It's pretty stupid and cowardly to kill yourself, but a lot can run through somebody's mind, so you have no idea. It depends on if you really know the person. If somebody overreacted because they lost their 100 dollar pair of shoes and flipped out, with no reason to, it is just plain stupid.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
It's beyond cowardly, the fact that you try to escape the problems of life that everyone else goes through is unforgivable. Suicide gets nothing done other that making your loved ones sad, wasting money ect.

Thats why I call it the "cowards way out".

I'll make a proper post when I can get to my comp.

Qoombie

Banned
It's beyond cowardly, the fact that you try to escape the problems of life that everyone else goes through is unforgivable. Suicide gets nothing done other that making your loved ones sad, wasting money ect.

Your post only re-affirms my point.

"that everyone else goes through"

You are assuming that you know the situations of the people that have taken their lives, and that you and everyone else has gone through those exact same issues and circumstances.

It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Most of the time.

MegaMew2

5th Gen still sucks.
I'm kind of conflicted concerning this.
I believe that if you want to die, then so be it.
On the other hand, I also think it's extremely selfish and cowardly to take your own life.
I know how that feels, since my Dad commited suicide when I was five.
So, I don't really know what do believe...

darkcharizard58

Everyone goes through bad things in their life. Yes the degrees of badness vary but that doesnt change the fact that everyone has bad experiences. And everyone struggles to deal with them. Suicide is a cowardly act but just because you commit suicide doesnt mean youre a coward.

Grei

not the color

How idiotic. You go against every instinct you have when you commit suicide. How that's cowardly is beyond me. Not that it's gallant, but it's certainly not something that a person would do to take the easy way out. The easy way out is to just live, since your body tries to do that naturally.

I've said this to you before and I'm aware that you're not going to listen, since you're too strung up on your own opinions to properly debate anything, but I'm saying this for the sake of possibly getting through to others. It's not cowardly, even if it isn't right either.

As a side note, Samson committed suicide. With God's help. It wasn't a sin or cowardly though, he took a few thousand Philistines with him!
There's also Saul falling upon his sword, but the most interesting biblical discussion of suicide is in the first chapter of Philippians. Paul appears burdened by the question of whether to live or to die. He reasons that death in Christ is "gainful," but elects to live because he feels as if his presence is required by the faithful. He does seem woefully uneasy about this, when he says "...What I shall choose, I know not, for I am in a strait between the two, having a desire to depart and to be with Christ..."

TFP might be able to offer us insight into Paul's plight.

As for my opinion of suicide, I would not deem it cowardly, if for no other reason than that so doing would be a horrible affront to these individuals who were clearly racked with pain.

Is an unhappy existence (even a profoundly unhappy existence) to be preferred to a lack of one? I don't know, and I suppose that such questions are the bread and butter of threads like these.

BigLutz

Banned
When you have others that depend on you, a family, a wife or husband, children. There is really no debate, it is cowardly. You are leaving those people with out a parent, scaring them for the rest of their life, and putting them in a much more difficult situation for years to come.

When you are just a single person with no real dependents, I think it is the easy way out, based on a snap judgement. And some times it can be brought about by a chemical imbalance from depression or many different things, in which a person really cannot help it.

You only have one life, and there is no guarantee that something is beyond this life. So for me, I just think that no matter how bad it becomes, it is not worth possibly losing your very existence.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
How idiotic. You go against every instinct you have when you commit suicide. How that's cowardly is beyond me. Not that it's gallant, but it's certainly not something that a person would do to take the easy way out. The easy way out is to just live, since your body tries to do that naturally.

Get over yourself, just because you go against nature doesn't mean you're not a coward.

I've said this to you before and I'm aware that you're not going to listen, since you're too strung up on your own opinions to properly debate anything, but I'm saying this for the sake of possibly getting through to others. It's not cowardly, even if it isn't right either.

How? I gave my reasonable opinion and im sticking by it like any other debater would. Just because you can't force your opinion on me doesn't make me "Strung up".

It doesn't matter how much you have to "overcome" when you can't do anything after acheaving it.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
There is no way suicide can be seen in a positive light for the living, really. But we can take turn down the negative light. Let's face it: there are probably a lot of cowardly suicides. Suicide over failing a class or not getting a date? It's probably happened before.

And there's one more thing I know: a lot of people don't know what true suffering is. Or even what medium suffering is. And in my humble experience those people typically squirm like mosquitos when they have to confront it. I've seen a lot of people who ignore a progressing health problem because they hate hospitals, constantly tell everyone not to revive them if they have a terminal health problem, and then turn around and say, but suicide is the easy way out, what cowards.

Those people are just voicing their defense mechanisms of wanting to avoid things that remind them of that realm of icky. They HAVE to say the people who committed suicide are cowards, to reassure themselves that they are different. If they don't stigmatize the suicidal, they're afraid they'll sympathize with them and thus get closer to suicide themselves. I think on some level we all do this. Benjamin Franklin once said that he who lies down with dogs rises with fleas; it's the same idea. We try to avoid people who we feel are insecure because that can hurt or rub off on us. It's a big reason why we have this idea that suicide is unilaterally cowardly.

But obviously there are some suicides that cannot really be judged at all and exist in a complete moral vaccum that nobody wants to talk about. And because suicide is about unfortunate people and by nature it removes those people, it's very likely that there wasn't the luxury of morality to judge those people in. For example, if a homeless person suffering tooth pain dying of kidney disease whose wife ran him out of the house jumped off a bridge, it would be outright victim blaming to call him a coward for taking his life.

I think that's what makes many people outraged about suicide being considered cowardly. Because many people who commit suicide are also victims and customarily, you don't blame the victim for letting themselves be the victim; you blame the problem and fight for them. The depression or the oppression they faced, whatever made their life a living hell is just as a deplorable force as a rapist or a murderer.

Last edited:

GilligBoi

I don't think it is cowardly but it is not the answer.