• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is suicide cowardly?

iKuroNeko

Maid of Breath
Honestly, I wouldn't even begin to think about suicide myself - death is such a big thing, ya know? Gives me the jeebies - but I know that for some people, life just becomes unbearable to live, depending on the situation.
In my opinion, the cowardice comes from when the person kills themselves over something that they could recover from, like grieving over the death of a loved one. It's the fact that they took the "easy" way out instead of gathering the strength to deal with it. Pain is inevitable, really. You can't really escape it.
If it's a situation to where they're going to die anyway, like about to be killed by a maniac or something like that, then it's better to die on your own terms instead of being miserable 'till your dying breath.​

MGOShockWave

Club Paradise
Suicide is cowardly in my opinion, It clearly shows that you can't face your problems and you just want to take the easy way out. But some people are very emotional and don't have the best lives so to them it's best.... I don't think its a good thing to do honestly but its hard getting through to those people

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
Suicide is cowardly in my opinion, It clearly shows that you can't face your problems and you just want to take the easy way out. But some people are very emotional and don't have the best lives so to them it's best.... I don't think its a good thing to do honestly but its hard getting through to those people

I heard that after the earthquake in Japan, some japanese survivors committed suicide, probably because they thought that all hope is lost.

Clipps

Beginning Trainer
Some of you either need to get real or grow up. It's probably the most cowardly thing to do. It's giving up on life and their's nothing more selfish than having all of your problems fall on many, many, many other people, on top of them grieving of your loss. If you kill yourself, you hurt not only your family, but your friends, and people that know you. It's cowardly because the person committing suicide is too chicken **** to deal with life. Everyone has problems in life and everyone meets struggles in life. Maybe the sevarity is different, but everyone has problems.

Suicide is like telling God, "You can't fire me, I quit!"

Rezzo

Occasionally
Some of you either need to get real or grow up. It's probably the most cowardly thing to do. It's giving up on life and their's nothing more selfish than having all of your problems fall on many, many, many other people, on top of them grieving of your loss. If you kill yourself, you hurt not only your family, but your friends, and people that know you. It's cowardly because the person committing suicide is too chicken **** to deal with life. Everyone has problems in life and everyone meets struggles in life. Maybe the sevarity is different, but everyone has problems.

most people who commit suicide need help, not people like you talking trash. You aren't all high and mighty just because you haven't experienced what other people might have.

Suicide is like telling God, "You can't fire me, I quit!"

No it isn't.

Firebrand

Indomitable
This. Thank you for saving me the trouble of writing it out.
What about people in severe physical pain? Disabilities that won't go away? Are they selfish?
See, that's the fine line, and the root of the euthanasia debate. I suppose if youre terminally ill and going to die slowly and painfully, you could use lethal injection to die peacefully on your own time.

As has probably ben mentioned, suicide is cowardly because people who do ot fail to consider the impact it will have on those around them. And the burdens that drove them to it will just fall on others. No one is completely isolated, so your suicide will affect everyone.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
if you choose to die by a gun shot or a knife you are a coward nuff said

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
People don't live because they are brave, they live because death repulses them. Obviously staying alive in the face of adversity requires a measure of bravery, but those who overcome death are not the same as those willing to accept it.

As living beings, death and suffering are stigmatized, and people will go to great lengths to distance themselves from it, both literally and psychologically, because relating to a suffering person makes you imagine if it could happen to you.

Therefore, I believe most people who announce that suicide is cowardly do so, ironically, because they are afraid of death.

Regardless of whether or not suicide actually is cowardly, those who feel somehow superior because never went there or they avoided death don't seem all that brave either!

Sam2010

Cheers
I'm not gonna say it's cowardly but just plain stupid. There are some people out there who commit sucide for very bad/stupid reasons.

Though when the deed is done it's to late to see how big of an impact you had on peoples lives friends and family.

Not trying to sound harsh or anything but people who consider this should think carefully your not just hurting yourself there's also the people around you.

WizardTrubbish

much more beastly
It's cowardly, selfish, and if your catholic, the worst sin there is.
Therefore, I believe most people who announce that suicide is cowardly do so, ironically, because they are afraid of death.

No, I don't feear death. The reason I consider it cowerdly is that your basically giving up on EVERYTHING in your life.

Priceless

**** this, i'm out
It's reasonable in some extreme cases, but for the others it's pathetic.

In the extreme cases, it's perfectly understandable; like what GenosectArceus said about the earthquake, or if you're going to die anyway or spending the rest of your life rotting away in prison.

In the pathetic cases, if you're attempting suicide it's basically natural selection; if you don't have the will to live, you might as well go kill yourself. It's just cowardly and pathetic in these cases, and if you attempt it for those stupid reasons, you probably deserve to ****ing die anyway.

I would know; I used to be one of those.

People don't live because they are brave, they live because death repulses them. Obviously staying alive in the face of adversity requires a measure of bravery, but those who overcome death are not the same as those willing to accept it.

It takes a brave person to walk alone through the path of life if they are in suffering or people constantly make their life a living hell. As someone said earlier suicide is like telling God "You can't fire me, I quit!". I'm constantly bullied for a variety of reasons, have I ever thought about suicide? Heck no. Committing suicide just makes the other side win.

As living beings, death and suffering are stigmatized, and people will go to great lengths to distance themselves from it, both literally and psychologically, because relating to a suffering person makes you imagine if it could happen to you.

Hardly, I'm not afraid of death. I believe that if I die I will go to heaven. I welcome death if it ever comes, but I'm not going to end my life pre-maturely

Regardless of whether or not suicide actually is cowardly, those who feel somehow superior because never went there or they avoided death don't seem all that brave either!

Replies in bold

Raddaya

My Little Ponyta
I like how you expect depressed people to think rationally. Hey, why not get dogs to solve algebra sums? Millions of kids around the world will breathe sighs of relief!