1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Is Surfing Speed in D/P/Pt Really Slow?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by VaironGod, Jan 24, 2013.

1. VaironGod

VaironGod Dunsparce>Arceus

Well I've been playing some fourth gen games. First Soulsilver and now I decided to go back and finish my Pearl game that I left off on after beating the eighth gym. From going from Soulsilver to Pearl I feel like the surfing speed is ridiculously slow in Pearl. It is like unbelievably bothersome to me and I am so happy there isn't much surfing to do in Sinnoh.

Does anyone else notice this?

2. Absoltastic

Absoltastic Pokemon Video Maker

The surf speed was incredibly slow in Diamond and Pearl, but I believe they fixed it in Platinum and kept it at that speed for Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

At least you get to hear the cool surf music! (and there aren't that many places that require surfing)

3. Shaylup

Shaylup debeo capere omnes

Diamond was my first pokemon game, so I took that to be the normal speed. Then I played SS and suddenly... OMG THIS IS SO FAST

4. Flamer

Flamer Well-Known Member

Yeah, surfing in D/P was stupidly slow. Like Absoltastic said, it got fixed in Platinum and there aren't too many Water routes in Sinnoh, so it wasn't that bigger deal, although still annoying. Not as much as being chucked off your bike every time you went through a gate...

5. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

kinnda this.
    I had played other gaames, but i got used to the stupid slowness in DP then when HGSS came out i was like "slow down" XD

6. dragonskull

dragonskull Dark trainer

This is quite an off-topic response but, I always dislike the bikes which go super fast and don't mind walking a fair bit instead of bumping in every wall because the bike speed is too fast, it's true that you can adjust the speed of your bike but I still find it quite annoying and personally don't mind the dismounting of the bike :p

For surfing, I do think that since there is in comparison to hoenn for example almost no surfing to do and as such it isn't that big of a deal in my opinion.

7. Sealotic

Sealotic Well-Known Member

I didn't realise that it was slow, nop.
    Actually, I encounter too much water pokemon while I'm surfing, so I couldn't see that it was that slow.

8. Bananarama

Bananarama Another trophy

Yes, it was! This and the slow battle scenes really aggravated me.

9. Toxic Nightshade

Toxic Nightshade GET TO DEL TACO

It does seem slow compared to HG/SS.. the surf music kind of expresses how "slow" it is. Soft and laid back.

10. Quilava42

Quilava42 Blazing Flowers

I have Pearl, and you're right. Like every time I see me surfing, it's very slow. But on Black it is faster.

11. Estellise

Estellise freeze!

Yes! I hate surfing in Pearl/Platinum...you go at a snail's pace. Glad I'm not the only one that noticed.

12. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

It was quite slow, but it never bothered me since there wasn't much water in the games which means you never had to surf that much. And they made it faster in Platinum, so it wasn't really a big deal.

13. Cutty

Cutty Forever now

When you play the latter games/gens and get back to surf in D/P, it will feel really slow.

14. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie 桜咲くこの坂を今も上っている

Yeah, it was slow. My guess is the frame-rates got messed up for the Surfing mechanic due to the new graphics of the time. So though it was very irritating, I let it pass because of that reason, though I don't know how true that is. That, and also because you hardly Surfed anywhere.

15. Nutter t.KK

Nutter t.KK can Mega Evolve!

True.. I think you only need surf for three sections of the story. Inside the mountain to get to Spear Pillar, From Jasmine to Victory Road, and the end of Victory Road itself. After that you needed it to travel to the Resort Area, and to the Pal Park.

16. Shayminslicker

Shayminslicker Comes out of Nowhere

I never really found it to go slow. It felt ok to me.

17. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

It may have been slow, but at the very least, there wasn't too much surfing in the game. Imagine having to cross Hoenn's seas with that surfing speed... that would be maddening.