• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the 3rd Gen Old?

BossTrainer

Not exactly old old. Red, Crystal, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gold and Silver are old. Mostly because of the lowsy graphics. They were also on the Game Boy/ Advance. The Third Gen. are on GBA/DS. Which makes it not that old. But I guess when they make remakes, the remakes will make the originals seem old.

Kalosian

So long
I do not think it is that old. Compared to first and second generation, third feels new and polished. But it does feel somewhat old compared to fourth and fifth generation.

~Ace

i can show you how
7 years, maybe, but what does it matter? Pokemon 4 lyf <3 and 3rd gen

acetrainerdov

ToTW Br0's
onlyabout 7 years :p

WhiteWizard42

Master Breeder
The main reason I feel that the 3rd gen games aren't "old" is that pokemon from them can still be transferred up to 4th and 5th generation games. If you want to breed for a Selfdestruct Snorlax and get one with good IVs, the best way is to do so on Emerald and teach it SD on XD. If it's still optimal for SOMETHING, then it's not unuseful.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Yes, because:
- you can't find a new copy at basically anywhere that sells games
- Nintendo has phased out the systems capable of playing GBA games. And soon it will be hard to find a new DS lite.

However they're not that old. You can still find used copies at Gamestop easily. RBY though.....

Skydra

However they're not that old. You can still find used copies at Gamestop easily. RBY though.....

If any are even in the stores, they won't be much longer as Gamestop now doesn't accept GBA games as trade-ins.

And it's definitely old, it's two generations ago in console and in game series.

7 tyranitars

If you look at the graphics then yes.

Touko_Kun

LavenderTownResident
I don't like to think so. :/ But yeah if you think about it, when was the last time you fired up ruby or sapphire on your GBA? Haha (A tad old ^w^)

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
I'll wait for the 10 year anniversary to consider 3rd gen old. In the mean time I'll play B/W and eat some epic brownies.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Are we getting to the point that the 3rd gen games are not played that often and are getting to status of Red and blue and gold and silver.

Consider this: FR/LG was made 7 years after the release of red and blue, and now they are 7 years old.

I guess the Generation 3 games are a bit old, but a lot of people still play them from what I can tell. I personally play Sapphire version and LeafGreen version everyday. They're some of my favorite games, and I don't really care that they're old (I still think the graphics have a certain charm).

Tsutaja1996

I don't see them as old, as I still quite often play my 3rd gen Pokemon games. I would be very happy if they made a RS remake though.

Razor Xtreme

I love 3rd gen games. I mean, it sucks that Gameboy doesn't have WiFi, and they aren't as advanced as the newer games but they were some of my favorite games. FireRed and Emerald are still really awesome to me. I loved GSC and RBY, so this it was basically an update to it. and RSE has new gen Pokemon

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Yes the 3rd gen of Pokemon is considered retro now. That being because them being 10 years old come November of next year plus that the systems that are required to play the game being either retired or getting near to end it`s lifespan. The only thing that could revive the chance to get play it again or for the first time in my opinion would be dependable on the 3DS system. What I mean by that is if they decide to put RS on the virtual console or the more likable possible of them being remade into MagmaRuby and AquaSapphire for the system to mimic what they done with GS hopefully sometime next year for Japan due to the fact the 10th anniversary of games are in November 2012. But on the tracks again , I do actually agree that if any generation are 2 gens behind the current gen are old. The 4th generation won`t get deemed this until this time the next generation.

DasBoot

Yeah there old, the systems for the games aren't sold, and those who still haven't lost their GameBoy Advance; have a system, but the system doesn't function properly or something.
And the games are almost 10 years old now. Yes, they're old. I consider them retro.

Last edited: