• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime implying that being a Gym leader is a non desirable job?

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
I think the writers wanted a quick way to get rid of Misty so they went with the gym idea because it was something that we all knew was related to her character. But I think they could have handled it more carefully.

Well yeah I kinda got that it was a rushed decision but what I meant was that the whole cruise trip thing that they came up with to make Misty's sisters leave the gym was dumb. Why'd they leave Gyarados rampaging around when they coulda at least kept it in its Pokeball?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Why'd they leave Gyarados rampaging around when they coulda at least kept it in its Pokeball?

I might be misremembering, but I thought it was implied that the Gyarados had recently evolved from a Koiking and that it happened while Kasumi's sisters were already away on their vacation.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
If you think about it...

Misty only became a Gym leader because she forced into it and would rather travel instead
Iris denied Drayden's request for becoming a Gym leader since she thought it wouldn't fit her
Skyla made up imaginary battles just so she could do something she actually likes and save time
Clemont was so busy being a Gym leader he had to create an entire robot just so he can go back to making inventions.
Kinda like irl when the gyms and dojos have low to no attendance/participant the owners would like to something different to pass their times or even go to a road trip for promotions, and when they're so busy with the gyms, they yearn to do other activities they would like to do, kinda like managing a double life.

Also, most of the character you mentioned are secondary characters to Ash so they would lose their status if they stayed in their gyms, because they won't share the screentime with Ash if they don't travel with him.

Last edited:

Applecorp

I think the writers wanted a quick way to get rid of Misty so they went with the gym idea because it was something that we all knew was related to her character. But I think they could have handled it more carefully.

They could've had her leave on her own personal journey of self discovery so that she could master Water type Pokemon or something like that instead of being stuck at the gym.

Leonhart

Imagineer
AznKei said:
Kinda like irl when the gyms and dojos have low to no attendance/participant the owners would like to something different to pass their times or even go to a road trip for promotions, and when they're so busy with the gyms, they yearn to do other activities they would like to do, kinda like managing a double life.

In some cases it's understandable that Gym Leaders have other duties besides just being Gym Leaders, although certain ones like Fuuro took things too far by deciding to put more emphasis on her hobby than on being a proper Gym Leader.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Did he specifically mention how financing works for Gyms? I always assumed that the Pokemon League or the Pokemon Inspection Agency paid for the construction and maintenance of Gyms, because I can't imagine why Gym Leaders would be responsible for paying for that when they already have so much on their plates.
Nope as i don't think that i see that in his note blog or his pocket monsters novels (1 and 2 )

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
For what I understand it seems like gym leaders have some support from the government so they can keep operating or something like that. It's been over 5 months since I read that bit lol

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I know, right?

The novels say there is but you can't help but think if the anime isn't the utopia that'd be a world with no politicians :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:
Nope as i don't think that i see that in his note blog or his pocket monsters novels (1 and 2 )

Not that it matters I suppose since I don't take his novelizations or his blog as canon, anyway. There's too much stuff on there that has been retconned in recent sagas, and Gyms in particular are a tricky subject since it seems like every Gym is run differently than the others in the anime.

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
Just look at everything that went down at the Pewter Gym with Brock and his family. Dad ran off twice leaving his kids to run the place.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Apslup said:
Just look at everything that went down at the Pewter Gym with Brock and his family. Dad ran off twice leaving his kids to run the place.

I thought it was explicitly mentioned that he left his family in order to pursue his own selfish desire to become a powerful trainer. I'm not quite sure how his Gym Leader position had an impact on that.

Applecorp

The gym sharing thing when they decided to make the Pewter gym more suitable for Lola was one of the worst things that the writing team have done to a gym. I still remember the garish paint.

SerenaRulez

The gym sharing thing when they decided to make the Pewter gym more suitable for Lola was one of the worst things that the writing team have done to a gym. I still remember the garish paint.

I remember how it looked in the Pokemon Chronicles episode and how mad Brock was. I was happy when he won and changed the gym back to how it looked originally. :)