• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime implying that being a Gym leader is a non desirable job?

Sham

The Guardian of War
If you think about it...

Misty only became a Gym leader because she forced into it and would rather travel instead
Iris denied Drayden's request for becoming a Gym leader since she thought it wouldn't fit her
Skyla made up imaginary battles just so she could do something she actually likes and save time
Clemont was so busy being a Gym leader he had to create an entire robot just so he can go back to making inventions.

Last edited:

Mew29240

If you think about it...

Misty only became a Gym leader because she forced into it and would rather travel instead
Iris denied Drayden's request for becoming a Gym leader since she thought it wouldn't fit her
Skyla made up imaginary battle just so she could do something she actually likes and save time
Clemont was so busy being a Gym leader he had to create an entire robot just so he can go make to inventing.

Maybe? The fact that some of them are so young makes one wonder what it takes to become a Gym Leader works sometimes.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Most of the cases mentioned are people who were kind of forced to inherit the gym rather than taking on the duty as their choice.

So it's less about it being a non-desible job - even if the Shudo's novel imply that's the case - than the aforementioned cases being about people who didn't want to do it but were kind of forced to.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I always thought that the writers made Gym Leader duties seem tedious and not as prestigious as in the games and manga. I actually really liked that Hoso episode where we discovered how the Blue Badges get made, as well as the special episode where Kasumi had to deal with the Gym inspection since it gave us insight on how difficult of a job Gym Leaders have.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I would imagine it’s hard work but still a job that has the benefit of testing trainers to battle in more than one way and to be adaptable. And you get to be with Pokémon all day and it isn’t like you can’t have another career outside the Gym when you don’t have any Trainers. I don’t think Misty was necessarily reluctant to take her place as a Gym Leader for Cerulean City because she stepped up to the plate when her sisters were just going to give Ash a Badge without a battle. She just wanted to get away from them since she was the youngest and was always stuck in their shadows and needed to figure out her own path to break free from them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
I would imagine it’s hard work but still a job that has the benefit of testing trainers to battle in more than one way and to be adaptable. And you get to be with Pokémon all day and it isn’t like you can’t have another career outside the Gym when you don’t have any Trainers.

I always thought it must be really boring to have to wait around for challengers. I assume that there are periods when challengers are less common, such as during the times when a Pokemon League is taking place, and I wonder if Gym Leaders get time off during that time or if they still have to be present at their Gyms.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Being a gym leader looks hard and I think it's a job that is better suited for older trainers because young trainers are meant to travel and go on journeys.

That's why I felt bad for Misty having to stay at the Cerulean gym because of her sisters being selfish. :(
I agree, the older trainers rarely complain, and most even really enjoy battling younger trainers to teach them how to be better overall. I always wanted a variant game IRL that let me be a gym leader. I even tried to organize a group we had where I lived into a sort of Pokemon League (this was early 2000s) but we never got anybody to join except those who were there to begin with so it didn't take off.
I kind of like how gyms are done in Go for this reason, because I can go with my family and take one over for a bit. But yeah, getting off topic. I think in the Pokemon world, it's just like any other job. You love it or hate it, but at the end of the day it keeps the lights on.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SerenaRulez said:
Being a gym leader looks hard and I think it's a job that is better suited for older trainers because young trainers are meant to travel and go on journeys.

That's why I felt bad for Misty having to stay at the Cerulean gym because of her sisters being selfish. :(

I do think that older characters who have more maturity make better Gym Leaders. It's a position that I think should only go to highly experienced trainers and not just mediocre to average trainers like Dent, Kasumi, or Citron.

Applecorp

If you think about it...

Skyla made up imaginary battles just so she could do something she actually likes and save time
Clemont was so busy being a Gym leader he had to create an entire robot just so he can go back to making inventions.

Skyla and Clemont should've quit being gym leaders. Skyla's method of selecting winners based on theories instead of battles was stupid and should've gotten her fired and Clemont caring more about inventions than fulfilling his duties shows that he wasn't a good choice of gym leader too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:
Skyla and Clemont should've quit being gym leaders. Skyla's method of selecting winners based on theories instead of battles was stupid and should've gotten her fired and Clemont caring more about inventions than fulfilling his duties shows that he wasn't a good choice of gym leader too.

I don't think anything of value would've been lost if Citron had given up his Gym Leader title, especially since he barely seemed to care about that position. I didn't necessarily like that he left the Citroid in charge of the Miare Gym for a while, however. I always thought that having a cybernetic Gym Leader there was bizarre, and Limone should've taken over instead.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

I thought that Misty's reason for going back to the gym was stupid. They coulda come up with something better than her sisters leaving on vacation and needing Misty to look after the gym.

Also it pissed me off that the gym was in complete disarray when Misty got there like how irresponsible were Daisy and her other sisters. :mad:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ubermuk said:
Also it pissed me off that the gym was in complete disarray when Misty got there like how irresponsible were Daisy and her other sisters. :mad:

I think it fits their profile since Sakura, Ayame, and Botan were known to be a bit self-centered ever since they first appeared, and I got the feeling that they didn't take their job as Gym Leaders that seriously since they preferred to perform their water shows, instead.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Redstar45 said:
It is harsh world in shudõ-Sensei take on Pokemon universe in most dark bitter humour.

Did he specifically mention how financing works for Gyms? I always assumed that the Pokemon League or the Pokemon Inspection Agency paid for the construction and maintenance of Gyms, because I can't imagine why Gym Leaders would be responsible for paying for that when they already have so much on their plates.

malcolm_n

Pokemon Collector
Did he specifically mention how financing works for Gyms? I always assumed that the Pokemon League or the Pokemon Inspection Agency paid for the construction and maintenance of Gyms, because I can't imagine why Gym Leaders would be responsible for paying for that when they already have so much on their plates.
I think they'd have to for the more coliseum-esque gyms. But then some people converted other buildings (a flower shop, a volcano, and a treehouse come to mind) or their homes into them (Didn't Koga do this?). Probably depends on the region, though.

SerenaRulez

I thought that Misty's reason for going back to the gym was stupid. They coulda come up with something better than her sisters leaving on vacation and needing Misty to look after the gym.

I think the writers wanted a quick way to get rid of Misty so they went with the gym idea because it was something that we all knew was related to her character. But I think they could have handled it more carefully.