• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime retconning Contests?

SatoSereFan224888

I guess Serena adapted well to Contest Spectaculars since they’re like showcases. I think she wasn’t a fan of regular contests but spectaculars were more in her comfort zone. I think she watched a regular contest and decided they weren’t for her but when she about spectaculars she decided that would be what she would try.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Tbh i pretty much expected what happened to contest given how much they tried avoiding talking about the battles when dawn was around. Even when chloe was watching the broadcast it seemed to only show the appeals, and really tiptoeing their way around it.

Given how they’re trying to stick more to the game i doubt if we’ll see the old contest again in the near future

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
So girls are not allowed to battle?

Konja7

So girls are not allowed to battle?

It would be better to say that Serena (or Chloe) doesn't seem so interested in battles. So, they used Serena for the Contest Performance.

I guess we won't see Dawn or May (if she appears) in a Contest Performance.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
So.. I wonder if JN will ever make straight up mention the differences between Pokémon Contests, Pokémon Showcases, and Pokémon Contest Spectaculars.

Dawn was mentioned to be a coordinator in JN while the phrase used for Serena was performer.

It seems like the Gen 3 and 4 Contests are still around as they were mentioned in the Cresselia/Darkrai episodes and Dawn and Chloe were headed to Eterna City for one. These types of contests seem to have expanded to Unova as well based on what Dawn said. The Pokémon are the main attraction in the appeal rounds. These also have a battle portion.

Pokémon Showcases are performances that involve the actual trainer. The trainer is the main attraction with the Pokémon being her partners.

Contest Spectaculars seem to be very similar to Kalos' Pokémon Showcases since they have Normal and Master tiers. The difference seems to be that the Master Class in Kalos is an official tournament, equivalent to the Grand Festival for Contests, and the winner is Kalos Queen. The Master Rank Spectaculars seem to be just more experienced. These performances don't seem to involve the trainer as much as the show the Pokémon put on. These seem to be a middle ground between Contests and Showcases.

As for the regions and different venues,

Kanto - Contests
Johto - Contests
Hoenn - Contests & Contest Spectaculars
Sinnoh - Contests
Unova - Musicals & Contests
Kalos - Showcases
Alola & Galar - n/a

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
They might have gotten a ribbon, just not onscreen. I don't think showing who won it was the most important thing in this contest compared to when it was a goal for the main character back in AG and DP when the winner mattered more.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
The notion girls aren't allowed to battle is dumb considering literally 90 percent of Ash's opponents have all been girls
Visquez, Korrina, Iris, Bea, Marnie, Drasna and upcoming Cynthia and possibly Diantha
Heck when it comes to his main PWC battles, the only guy so far is Volkner, with Raihan, Lance and Leon coming up and possibly Steven
Just because a girl doesn't have the goal of battling right now doesn't mean they consider girls unable to battle or unable to be Pokemon trainers. It's just something they don't want to repeat with the female character and it's not coz they are 'sexist' but because they want to attempt a new storyline for their girl characters

Last edited:

Sham

The Guardian of War
The notion girls aren't allowed to battle is dumb considering literally 90 percent of Ash's opponents have all been girls
Visquez, Korrina, Iris, Bea, Marnie, Drasna and upcoming Cynthia and possibly Diantha
Heck when it comes to his main PWC battles, the only guy so far is Volkner, with Raihan, Lance and Leon coming up and possibly Steven
Just because a girl doesn't have the goal of battling right now doesn't mean they consider girls unable to battle or unable to be Pokemon trainers. It's just something they don't want to repeat with the female character and it's coz they are 'sexist' but because they want to attempt a new storyline for their girl characters
Oh do I wish people would stop saying people are saying it’s “sexist”. That word is almost never used by people. Also most of the girls you mentioned were Gym Leaders, a rival or in the Leauge of a region.

The only people who claims it’s called “sexist” are people who used this to discredit the argument and are against others pointing this out. When we are having this discussion we are talking about MAIN female characters battling after BW and not just any female character. We’ve all noticed characters like Olivia and Hapu battling and they’re women. The conversation has always been about female MAIN characters (or in Chloe’s case highly supporting).

I don’t get how this notion is dumb when Serena has never finished a battle, Lillie’s battle record could be very much easily counted (and same with Lana) and did Mallow even have a battle besides TR and that Lana battle? And the same applies with Chloe. Not sure how pointing out that you want more female (MAIN) characters battling is a bad take

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh do I wish people would stop saying people are saying it’s “sexist”. That word is almost never used by people. Also most of the girls you mentioned were Gym Leaders, a rival or in the Leauge of a region.

The only people who claims it’s called “sexist” are people who used this to discredit the argument and are against others pointing this out. When we are having this discussion we are talking about MAIN female characters battling after BW and not just any female character. We’ve all noticed characters like Olivia and Hapu battling and they’re women. The conversation has always been about female MAIN characters (or in Chloe’s case highly supporting).

I don’t get how this notion is dumb when Serena has never finished a battle, Lillie’s battle record could be very much easily counted (and same with Lana) and did Mallow even have a battle besides TR and that Lana battle? And the same applies with Chloe. Not sure how pointing out that you want more female (MAIN) characters battling is a bad take
I've actually seen some people call it sexist which is why I brought it up. And again I don't think the notion 'girls shouldn't battle ' is why they had the recent girl companions not battle, it's simply coz they wanted to do something different with them story wise. The fact they were not having the main girls battle is probably why they had so many girl rivals for Ash to face this series to make up for it

Gingertail24

I've actually seen some people call it sexist which is why I brought it up. And again I don't think the notion 'girls shouldn't battle ' is why they had the recent girl companions not battle, it's simply coz they wanted to do something different with them story wise. The fact they were not having the main girls battle is probably why they had so many girl rivals for Ash to face this series to make up for it
Why can't they do something different with the girls while having them battle. They tried non battling with the girls, but imo, all their goals have been rather lackluster. Doesn't mean they are bad characters but that's probably why people want girls to battle. It seems the anime sucks doing anything but battle related goals
Besides, it still says alot that while ash does have female rivals, he most notable knew are all male. Kiawe, Alain, Sawyer, Paul, Gary, .
Bea was good but short lived and korrina, but outside of that, are there any really notable ones?
And I'm not talking about girls he battles once and never see again like drasna and Marnie. I hardly call them rivals

Sham

The Guardian of War
But they’re were able to allow Misty and Iris to battle despite their goals not necessarily involving continuous battling also Dawn and May battled even outside of Contests. What was Mallow and Lana doing that was so important where they couldn’t battle at times? Serena did battle but just never finished them. Like said, why does it have to be either or? They’ve been “trying” this “new” thing since XY.

And again that’s not the same. He battled people involved in the League(s), Gym Leaders and a female rival already established in the games. Like I said earlier we already know that females battle in these recent series like Olivia and Hapu. That’s nothing new. We are discussing main female girls

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
But they’re were able to allow Misty and Iris to battle despite their goals not necessarily involving continuous battling also Dawn and May battled even outside of Contests. What was Mallow and Lana doing that was so important where they couldn’t battle at times? Serena did battle but just never finished them. Like said, why does it have to be either or? They’ve been “trying” this “new” thing since XY.

And again that’s not the same. He battled people involved in the League(s), Gym Leaders and a female rival already established in the games. Like I said earlier we already know that females battle in these recent series like Olivia and Hapu. That’s nothing new. We are discussing main female girls
Lana still battled, you just don't like how her battles were written but she was established as someone who could battle. Mallow battled TR and tried the league. Lillie battled her butler with Pikachu and won and tried the league. They all were in the villain and legendaries arcs. They just didn't get more battle focus because that wasn't what their story was

Sham

The Guardian of War
Lana still battled, you just don't like how her battles were written but she was established as someone who could battle. Mallow battled TR and tried the league. Lillie battled her butler with Pikachu and won and tried the league. They all were in the villain and legendaries arcs. They just didn't get more battle focus because that wasn't what their story was
No I just don’t remember battles she did besides that Totem battle, the legendary arc battles (which almost every Pokegirl or really every main character has a role in) and that battle with Mallow and Guzma. If you have a memory refresher that’s fine but don’t remember. Even so what’s the ratio compared with the amount of episodes aired and then with other Pokegirls? How many times did Kiawe battle in comparison? Why wasn’t his “story” blocking him from doing that?

Who established that? Poplio evolving from bubbles? Learning Icy Wind and mastering Sparkling Aria off screen? Where was the esbalishment?

But again what story was Mallow’s? Lana’s that stopped her from battling more? Lillie undoubtedly battled more than Lana quite as it’s kept.

nuzamaki90

Just because a girl doesn't have the goal of battling right now doesn't mean they consider girls unable to battle or unable to be Pokemon trainers. It's just something they don't want to repeat with the female character and it's not coz they are 'sexist' but because they want to attempt a new storyline for their girl characters
It’s not even just that. There was literally a boy in the Contest Spectacular participating with his Breloom lmao.
This is wrong too. Both Serena’s battle with Shauna and her tag battle with Ash against Millefeui and James “finished”.

No I just don’t remember battles she did besides that Totem battle, the legendary arc battles (which almost every Pokegirl or really every main character has a role in) and that battle with Mallow and Guzma. If you have a memory refresher that’s fine but don’t remember. Even so what’s the ratio compared with the amount of episodes aired and then with other Pokegirls? How many times did Kiawe battle in comparison? Why wasn’t his “story” blocking him from doing that?

Who established that? Poplio evolving from bubbles? Learning Icy Wind and mastering Sparkling Aria off screen? Where was the esbalishment?

But again what story was Mallow’s? Lana’s that stopped her from battling more? Lillie undoubtedly battled more than Lana quite as it’s kept.
And this is just moving the goalpost. All the main girls have battled, point, blank, period. Some more than others. It doesn’t perpetuate any sort of stigma the writers have against the girls battling. If you want to get into goals, Mallow wants to make a restaurant that can be enjoyed by people and Pokémon which has nothing to do with battles. Kiawe wants to become a Kahuna like his grandpa, which means he has to be a strong trainer. I could go on but I’m sure you get the point. Also, Lana battled a lot, she was the most active trainer out of all the Alola girls. Lana and Popplio had spent the whole night training before it evolved into Brionne, Icy Wind and Sparkling Aria was learnt when the whole group were training before the League.

There is legitimately nothing implying at all that the writers are against the girls battling, or girls battling in general. The fact that the majority of Ash’s PWC opponents have been female just makes that idea nonsensical lmao.

Last edited: