• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime retconning Contests?

vondecayle

They didnt erase original contests, they just probably wont ever revisit them again
Why would they do that? Sometimes I have a hard time grasping the logic behind some of this creative decisions. Contests were liked by the most part.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
It’s something I really dislike about JN. The need to be super game-accurate to some things but not caring about applying that same criteria to others is very frustrating and feels half-assed. I don’t see why it’s suddenly a problem now when for 25 years the anime has been known for loosely adapting and changing game elements to fit its own narrative.

Be game-accurate in a game-accurate show. The Pokémon anime as everyone knows it has never been that

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
That's an annoying idea because they were just fine creating anime-exclusive Pokemon World Championship in Galar, but for Contests they gotta be games-accurate. They sure like to pick and choose what is accurate to the games and what is not- :rolleyes:
To be fair Pokemon World Championships and the ranking system is straight up an adaptation of the ranking system of online battles in SwSh and the PWT in Driftveil which was even referenced
It's not like they aren't allowed to have anime original ideas and all, but probably are mandated to be more accurate to the games when possible, and contests falls into that. Certainly felt that way with them giving a different name to the contests to differentiate and all

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I just want to see the beautiful mix of performing and battling, what made the original Contests so iconic, characters being able to perform beautiful moves while being battle competent. The idea that the whole thing now has to be idol popularity contests is straight up obnoxious to me.

vondecayle

I just want to see the beautiful mix of performing and battling, what made the original Contests so iconic, characters being able to perform beautiful moves while being battle competent. The idea that the whole thing now has to be idol popularity contests is straight up obnoxious to me.
I guess influencers arrived at Pokemon lol

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That's not new to Contests, that's what they always were in the games. The anime just made up the battling round for no reason, so they were less Contests and more Gym Battles with a weird qualifying round. I've always disliked how Contests had a battling round which basically negated the need for any competence at the non-battling aspects. Like any Trainer with a strong enough Pokemon could just totally ignore the Contest part and focus on knocking out the opponent which for some reason was automatically a defeat to the Pokemon knocked out even if they were the one leading the entire time in actual Contest aspects.

Gingertail24

That's not new to Contests, that's what they always were in the games. The anime just made up the battling round for no reason, so they were less Contests and more Gym Battles with a weird qualifying round. I've always disliked how Contests had a battling round which basically negated the need for any competence at the non-battling aspects. Like any Trainer with a strong enough Pokemon could just totally ignore the Contest part and focus on knocking out the opponent which for some reason was automatically a defeat to the Pokemon knocked out even if they were the one leading the entire time in actual Contest aspects.
Wait what? To get to the battling round you actually need to be good at the contest part. In the grand festival you needed to be really amazing in the appeal round to even get to battle. So no, ignoring the contest aspect won't get you anywhere

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Agreed. I'd kill to see just one more anime contest again with Dawn

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
Agreed. I'd kill to see just one more anime contest again with Dawn
I'd also love to see it, especially if we actually got to see her win a Grand Festival with Ash cheering her on, just as she cheered Ash on during the Masters 8 battle against Leon. I also would not mind if it was technically the last Grand Festival with animé Contests with Dawn feeling pressure to win it since she would have no interest in in Contest Spectaculars, preferring the "battle Contests" to the Contest Spectaculars. Ironically, though, I always felt that May would have been more inclined towards "battle Contests" than the Contest Spectaculars, with Dawn being more willing to do both.

Pkjoan

Pokemon Master
If the anime was really trying to follow the games, Pokemon would be able to use held items and medicines could be used in battles. Something we have never seen Ash use.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I guess all the characters are now doing Contests Spectacular and the AG-DP Contests are just not a thing anymore?

Like, sure, you can argue OG Contests still exist, and that they're a separate thing from Contests Spectacular, but it's weird that Serena went to Hoenn to compete in Pokemon Contests, but then you see that she does Contests Spectacular, and now we say May with Serena and Lisia, dressed in a similar outift, the clear implication being she's doing Contests Spectacular too.

Huge bummer.

Regular contests still exist since they were mentioned in the Darkrai and Cresselia special by Johanna and Dawn. Dawn is addressed as a Coordinator.

I think the anime heads up want to be closer to the games and it seems like the old contests are "off-screen" now but they still happen. Heck, they even happen in Unova now according to Dawn.

If it’s the case then this is regression not progression. They showed Harley and Drew in the M8 though, if contests were to be retconned… what goals do the two of them have now?

I guess it makes sense on why Drew and Harley were watching the Masters Eight from the Pokémon League Pokémon Center and May was just shown in a Contest Spectacular hall. They probably stuck to the old contests while May was able to try something different.

It bothers me how they showed her with Glaceon and not Blaziken. SMH.

Coordinators
- Contests & Super Contests (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)

Performers
- Showcases (Kalos)
- Contest Spectaculars (Hoenn)

Konja7

If it’s the case then this is regression not progression. They showed Harley and Drew in the M8 though, if contests were to be retconned… what goals do the two of them have now?

Unlike Showcases, male could still participate in Contest Spectacular.

In the episode where Chloe participate in a Contest Spectacular, we could some male contestants.

Last edited:

GGuitarGuy95

I do feel they are being phased out, nearly retconned, just so the anime's take on them are the same as the games. At some point, it feels like the staff was put on a position where they have do adjustments so stuff shown in the anime is very close/faithful to the games, regardless of wether they were allowed to change them around in the past or not.
Pretty much. Character designs are closer to the games i.e. Erika, Lance. Also Pokemon eggs are no longer unique.

Gingertail24

Pretty much. Character designs are closer to the games i.e. Erika, Lance. Also Pokemon eggs are no longer unique.
What's weird is that they will just pick and choose what should be close to the game and what shouldn't at random

Like using game strategies in the diantha vs lance fight. And strong jaw ability. But then conveniently forgetting Pikachu static ability and other Mon ability

Making Ash noctowl size more game accurate (even tho that actually had a in universe explanation), but then other Mon heights aren't even game accurate. Like Ash should be much taller than Lucario etc .

DuskAstral

I don't think there was any retconn.
I believe Contests and Contests Spectaculars are two completely different competitions.
Especially since when Hikari was showing her competition outfit to Koharu, this dress was not at all like the ones used in Contest Spectaculars.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe Contests and Contests Spectaculars are two completely different competitions.
Especially since when Hikari was showing her competition outfit to Koharu, this dress was not at all like the ones used in Contest Spectaculars.
And if anything it was part of Journeys taking a lot more influence from the games than previous sagas.

Gingertail24

Idk if different outfit is enough evidence for it being retcon.
But if it is t that would be great. Contest retcon look like another diet contest just like showcases. They really can't just give Serena regular contest huh