• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime to long?

LizardonX

Banned
Kanto and Johto never had good writing, it just happened to be shown in a better time. Plus even if misty returned the popularity still would barely improve after the initial shock faded.

To be quite honest, the Pokemon anime as a whole doesn't have good writing. Compared to other animes.

pokemon fan 132

Kanto and Johto never had good writing, it just happened to be shown in a better time. Plus even if misty returned the popularity still would barely improve after the initial shock faded.

Depends what you consider to be good writing. Imo original series had more comedy, better dialogue and dynamic, and wacky and out of place plots with writers seeming to have much more liberty back in day, to spread wings of creativity and use their own imagination which is possibly one of main reasons why they are still hold in high regard among many fans even today.

As for Misty return goes, past showed how return of popular older character always bring boost to ratings attracting more fans outside of target demographic. Its enough to go back and check viewing figures when May, Dawn or Misty appeared. Ratings sky rocketed.
Not to mention out of all past female leads biggest demand is for first one with many internet places being flooded with such fans.

Either way its not only Misty, because any older character which is well accepted and popular can help to improve popularity.Since they can serve as extra igniter and motivation for viewers to maintain interest toward anime.

LizardonX

Banned
The first season was also possibly the only one written with entertainment being a higher prioriity than marketing. Also having a character from an older season return in no way signals the return of what made said older season good. Dawn came back and the junior cup had nowhere near as exciting battles with game mechanics being used more often like DP, in fact it was even worse.

pokemon fan 132

The first season was also possibly the only one written with entertainment being a higher prioriity than marketing. Also having a character from an older season return in no way signals the return of what made said older season good. Dawn came back and the junior cup had nowhere near as exciting battles with game mechanics being used more often like DP, in fact it was even worse.

Dunno, if you ask me Orange Islands did excellent job in that department too being completely anime exclusive and Johto had some of that older "charm"in its better parts at times too. Mainly in start and to extent in Master Quest though.

Either way return of older character may not signal return of good writing, but he can potentially bring more enjoyable dynamic in cast, more continuity in series, fresh twist if hes been absent for too long(longer we don't see someone, excitement will increase higher) reinventing viewers interest to see update and in what direction his story may flow. Which can be annotated as step in right direction.

Which Dawn for example created to extent imo energizing already stale routine series got stuck in.

Haunter ゴースト

If the anime had no fillers and only focused on things that progressed the story or developed characters, it could be shorter.

Honestly, i think each saga could have been roughly 70 episodes, but the writers insist on spanning the anime out to last with the Games until the next generation.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
Yes it's too long, they should just get rid of Ash and Team Rocket already.

I totally agree. I liked the anime up until Best Wishes for the most part, but now its just ridiculous. Ash either needs to become a pokemon master already or just go home. :p The whole series keeps repeating itself over and over...There needs to be a new main character, new plot, some new twist. The last thing I want to see is something like Ash going to the Orre region. *shudders* Doubt that'll ever happen, but still.

ArmadaUGS

You're just now realizing that this anime is so long after all this time? Ofsource it is but if they keep making games, just like yugioh and beyblade, they will keep making the anime.

When did I say I realized it now?
I was thinking about this topic after reading some threads and wanted to ask what other people think. And yeah I do understand they will continue doing the anime but that is not what this thread is about.

I personally never minded the length of any Pokémon season. Could they have made them shorter? Yeah. I mean all the Pokémon seasons do take a long time to watch but if you watch several episodes a day, you could get through a season quickly.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I personally never minded the length of any Pokémon season. Could they have made them shorter? Yeah. I mean all the Pokémon seasons do take a long time to watch but if you watch several episodes a day, you could get through a season quickly.

The anime is pretty popular as much as the manga, so I don't think that the show being as long as it is would have been no harm for finacial purposes.

Okay here's the twist, at the end of BW, Iris opens her hairstyle and reveals a black hole, which sucks up everybody on the planet. Now that Iris is the last human left on earth, she's the only one who can be the champion. Also the anime continues with "The Iris Show". Hey, she might have triggered the apocalypse but at least there's a new twist.

You misspelled "too".

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
You're just now realizing that this anime is so long after all this time? Ofsource it is but if they keep making games, just like yugioh and beyblade, they will keep making the anime.

Yugioh did it 'better' in my opinion. Even as new cards continue to come out, the original series came to and end, and then GX aired, and then 5Ds, and now Zexal. They didn't just stick with Yugi, Kaiba, and co for as long as the game remains in existence. Pokemon has the versatility to finish Ash's storyline, and introduce new characters and adventures easily.

ChampionRed

In my opinion, yes! The anime is too long.

I would like the Pokemon anime even more if they stopped with Ash, helping retarded trainers and people that can't take care of Pokemon for a minute or two until Team Rocket steals them.

I would like it if they just focused on Ash becoming a Pokemon master instead of helping people 99.9% of the time! Some of these can be cool but most of them are pretty bad. : L
Hope its different in the next generation. I just hope they aren't planning to mechanize (Geno sect) nearly all of the Pokemon like they did with Digimon, and Not give another crap team to Ash in the next region.....

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
After seeing that animated trailer for the Black and White 2 game, in my opinion, yes. The anime has gone on long enough. Ash's storyline is getting so repetitive and predicatable now that I just can't stand to watch it.

They should have just ended Ash's adventures and started over with a new fresh plot but no, that's part of the reason why I just read the Manga now.

The anime as a whole have never had good writing, IMO.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Honestly, yes. I'm really beginning to fed up with the anime as it is now. They should just end Ash's storyline and start over with a whole new plot.

The anime keeps going downhill by continuing with Ash's plot and that's exactly why I don't watch anymore.

The anime as a whole have never had good writing, IMO.

It has its high points. I think it's good as a kids' show. I think now that we're all adults now, we wish that Pokémon would have more of a darker edge to it (somewhat like Digimon) but yeah, the biggest problem I think is that Ash isn't really going anywhere. Every generation it's the same thing. Start with only Pikachu and then lose the League at the end. I mean it's hard to watch series after series knowing Ash will probably lose the League.

IMO, this anime has gone on way, way too long. It's absolutely ridiculous. It's not a bad show, but it has gotten incredibly boring, redundant, and stale. They need to try more new things, and not with older characters.