• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the anime to long?

ArmadaUGS

Okay after I have been readin in some threads I seriously wanna ask if people think the anime is to long.

Cause in many threads it seems like some people think some chars have nothing left to do in the show (Like Brock/Misty/guess May etc is included too).

I totally respect everyone that has this opinion but I will say what I think is the bigger problem.

I do think the fact that the anime is 750+ episodes (guess they will continue with at least another 250) is the problem here.

The main focus has always been Ash and the road for him to become the champion. After this many episodes it gets very old. Ofc all the characters in the process will maybe eventually feel like they are drawn out.

I do think they should have ended this anime after maybe 300 episodes or something (winning Indigo/being a champ that fast would feel a bit to much unrealistic).

So maybe they should have made him win the Johto league and then challange elite 4 or something?

Anyway the real question I wanna ask here is if the chars or the length is the problem here (or if both/none of them are).

Navin

MALDREAD
As long as the show remains popular/lucrative, it'll remain in business. Perhaps they could have ended Ash's story and switched to a new protagonist, but that might have been too risky of a move.

ArmadaUGS

Yeah I do know the show will keep going on as long they make much money on it. One thing I don't I think is "really fair" towards the fans. Cause the concept is build on "ending when no one is watching".

But that's not the real question here. The question is if people here think they should have ended the anime earlier or not (then why/why not). I guess business is a strong argument but I hope people here can see it from a fandom point of view.

ArmadaUGS

I don't play the games (never really liked them). But I did notice that the first games had many flaws (Ice moves/Pshycic being to good etc). And I do know many people that still play the games and everything there is improved so as a game they sounds much better.

But the question is still not about stateing the fact that the anime will still be there for more years. The question is if people think the anime is to long (why/why not) and also point out other problems if they think their is any.

LizardonX

Banned
I don't play the games (never really liked them). But I did notice that the first games had many flaws (Ice moves/Pshycic being to good etc). And I do know many people that still play the games and everything there is improved so as a game they sounds much better.

But the question is still not about stateing the fact that the anime will still be there for more years. The question is if people think the anime is to long (why/why not) and also point out other problems if they think their is any.

Well its been 15 years since those games.

If you don't think of it as 1 loong anime but 5 short ones with limited continuity between the 5 then its easier to swallow.

ArmadaUGS

Yeah I know it has been 15 years since then. I just stated that some things that was very bad ( at least for competitive gaming) was fixed in later games which is a good thing for people that like playing those games.

Pretending something else dosen't make it true. I know they have different names on those periods of the anime ("Original" etc). But it is still one long anime. I don't know why we have to keep going off-topic all the time :p

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
Well its been 15 years since those games.

If you don't think of it as 1 loong anime but 5 short ones with limited continuity between the 5 then its easier to swallow.

Wait, does this mean.... Ash is really a group of clones with the memories of the previous Ash?! Of course, it all makes sense now...

Blessed

Yes its gone for far too long and I just wish they could end Ash's story already. The current anime is just getting more and more ridiculous and the regression only makes it worse.

IMCL85

problem here entire ash story doesn't makes sense any more. 15 years later he's pokemon still sh!t, and he's pikachu who should be like lvl 80+ now still get own by some lvl 5 starter. this crap dont even happen in game, I think sooner or later they'll have to end ash's storyline. its getting way too repetitive man every generation.

gliscor&yanmega

I don't think it's really long, more so people are looking at it in the wrong way.

When it comes down to it, there are new people coming into the show each time, these people are the priority for the writers, not the ones who've been watching from the start. They want to continue Pokemon until the franchise dies(Which, most likely isn't happening any time soon), they aren't going to stop doing it unless the Anime itself just dies before the overall franchise does(Which again, isn't really likely to happen any time soon).

The way Pokemon should be looked as is in four different series(Which will increase over time so long as the show continues), Original, Advance Generation, Diamond & Pearl, and Best Wishes, of which each have a few sagas in it. These series have the same plot, Ash sets out on his journey with Pikachu, and aims to be a Pokemon Master. Along his travels he encounters friends, rivals, captures new Pokemon, battles gyms, battles villains, and ultimately competes in the league to further his dream, and sometimes does other stuff after the league. They all end with an opening ending(I assume Best Wishes will end the same), that being that Ash doesn't become a Pokemon Master at the end, but he still continues on and knows it's a long road to reach his detestation. Now what people don't seem to understand is, you don't have to watch the show until Ash becomes a Pokemon Master, he probably never will be one. The series are roughly 3-4 years each, which is a pretty long time to watch a show and just move on afterwards, which is pretty much what the writers expect for the most part.

Despite the show basically being four different series, the writers still know people are watching from the start, so they connect the four series together and in a way give easter eggs to the viewers who've been watching from the start, the easter eggs being cameos of past character, Ash using his older Pokemon, among other things. Still, these people aren't the priority, the new viewers are.

The show is for everyone, not for the people who started watching it. Just because those who getting tired of it or think the show should stop, doesn't mean it should, as people still like it, and for what the show is about, there's really no reason to stop, it's an endless journey that people can watch and enjoy until the day Pokemon dies(Which is probably the day after all life ceases to exist).

With that being said, I've been watching from the start and I still enjoy it, and I plan to continue to watch it until I die(Which I see being more likely to happen first, which is pretty much my only reason to hope for an afterlife...so I can continue watching it there).

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think each saga should only be about 100 episodes to be honest. 100 episodes is enough to tell a story for one region.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
[spoil] BW was 108 and look how it turned out[/spoil]

True, but think about it.

If you remove all the nonsense episodes out of Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, and just keep the very best fillers and all the important episodes, you could reduce it to 100 solid episodes instead of over 150 episodes with a lot of bad ones.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
True, but think about it.

If you remove all the nonsense episodes out of Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh, and just keep the very best fillers and all the important episodes, you could reduce it to 100 solid episodes instead of over 150 episodes with a lot of bad ones.

The problem with this is that it's basically impossible to tell which fillers are the "best" with any sort of objectivity. Besides, if there were only 100 episodes per region, what would they do with the rest of the time they had until the next games came out? Pokemon is ridiculously popular, and I don't think they'd want the writers sitting on their hands when they could be working on a show that's going to get a great deal of viewers no matter what.

eryyy

Ace Trainer
I think Ash's storyline is too long and now, it's all getting so repetitive now.

But as long as the games remain as popular as they are, I don't see the anime ending.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
They need to pull a Digimon. 48-54 episodes for each game and have it more like the manga (Adventures)

BlueDragonfangirl

Meh, I don't know which anime is longer Pokemon or One Piece? Well any ways, yes its pretty long and I think newbie fans would have a hard time trying to watch all the older episodes, however some such as myself enjoy it either way.

Scrufox86

I think the main problem with the Anime is that it has been going for too long. At least with Ash being the main character. The way he didn't allow or train his pokemon so they evolved in Original or Johto series was one of the major let downs of the series. It was odd how somehow a totodile was shown deafeating opponents that should've clearly beaten it because they had clearly been trained a lot more and evolved twice. And with the inclusion of the rubbish Pikachu it means he is basically down a pokemon on his team. The whole point of the show was for Ash to become a pokemon master but he has yet to even reach the elite 4 to battle any of them and it has been how many years?