• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the BW series doing gimmick things to have more ratings? Are they desesperate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Champion
Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard returning is the biggest gimmick that the writers have ever pulled. The fact that people are excited over it just goes to show how dumb the people that are excited are. It's a little impressive when you think about it for only a second. Anymore and you'll just be disappointed.

Janovy

Banned
Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard returning is the biggest gimmick that the writers have ever pulled. The fact that people are excited over it just goes to show how dumb the people that are excited are. It's a little impressive when you think about it for only a second. Anymore and you'll just be disappointed.
Way to insult 99% percent of this fanbase.

Now it's suddenly wrong to be excited about stuff? What the hell?

Rohanator

So it's dumb to be excited about seeing something cool in a kids show. Actually, that's probably true for us adults but that's besides the point. Stop talking sh*t and let people enjoy their damn kids anime. The levels of arrogance LOL

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Brining back Mewtwo...is the biggest gimmick that the writers have ever pulled.

I agree that it's a huge gimmick, as well as an obvious one. I mean I think it's clear that they want to replicate the success of the first movie, but it's also really lame in my opinion because instead of trying something new, they're repeating themselves something fierce by re-using old ideas, which isn't appealing to me.

And speaking of ratings, does anyone have a link to that site that lists all the ratings for the Japanese version of the anime? I lost track of it and I'm curious about the latest ratings.

Last edited:

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Possible Gimmick things:
-Title changes: The series, for the first time, is changing titles mid-saga in Japan and they are promoting them separately with new things introduced in them. And remember that Episode N is ending before Ash/Cilan catches Sableye (almost confirmed) making thee Episode N title useless.

Almost confirmed? Wut?

-Dawn and Piplup's cameo was made like she is going to rejoin the main cast although they aren't. Remember the promotion that Season 2 = Dawn. Promotion that was made too heavily through the series.

What? Season 2 = League, not Dawn. She was heavily promoted because she was coming back, and Piplup. And it depends on the view of the person, you see it as Season 2 = Dawn. Doesn't mean it's true.

-Team Rocket's climax was heavily promoted as the end of Team Rocket although they aren't. And his return was also heavily promoted to be a big deal about their presence back into the show.

No, you see it as the possible end of Tr. The writers did not see it that way, clearly.

Although I could be wrong, I expect that Pokemon merchandise sales are falling in the past two years because of different reasons, many of them are out of the control of the Pokemon franchise. Specially with the ratings of late-2010 and early 2011.

If the ratings are going down, wouldn't it make more sense to advertise Pokemon famous now. If the show is aimed at younger kids, the younger gens would work better no? :p

Janovy

Banned
I agree that it's a huge gimmick, as well as an obvious one. I mean I think it's clear that they want to replicate the success of the first movie, but it's also really lame in my opinion because instead of trying something new, they're repeating themselves something fierce by re-using old ideas, which isn't appealing to me.

And speaking of ratings, does anyone have a link to that site that lists all the ratings for the Japanese version of the anime? I lost track of it and I'm curious about the latest ratings.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-24/japan-animation-tv-ranking-february-11-17

There is it. February 14th was 5.5, week before was 4.4.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era

Genesect, TP... sounds like a replica to me -_-

Haunter ゴースト

The fandom makes me laugh.

Cynthia, Looker, Mewtwo and Charizard returning are no way near gimmicks at all..

-Cynthia and Looker were present in the Black and White games, it's natural that they appeared in the anime.

-Mewtwo had the biggest and most obvious connections to Genesect even before the BW anime had started, it seems obvious that Ken Sugimori when designing Genesect wanted it to be compared to Mewtwo right from the very start. Hence why it's background and creation is so similar.

-Charizard returning? EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
About the Unova League being horrible, I remember the ig battles of Sinnoh who I don't think that they can do it if they air now. THey can air those matches but it would be sightly less epic:

Because I know that if the DP saga was airing in 2012 and 2013, the Ash vs Paul battle will be 2 episodes and lasted around 20 minutes less (lasted 50 min), and the battle will be more simple. And we won't see battles like Zoey vs Nando and Dawn vs Zoey lasting too long. They will be , at least, partially shorter.

Thisis because in Best Wishes, the pokemon anime (and probably any action-anime) are using stock animation if there's available. In Pokemon Contests, they will respect the appeal for the most part the battle rounds... not so much.

Of course, I preferred a Ash vs Paul battle with lots of stocked animation and stocked animation in the Grand Festival to the Unova League crap.

I didn't expected a horrible league. I expect a league that was good but they won't be spectacular like the Sinnoh and Johto ones, shorter battles and with a lot of stocked animation. I thought that we can get full battles in 20 min.

Last edited:

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
The gimmick things happening so fast and so much isn't out of desperation, it's because BEST WISHES IS A FAST-PACED SERIES.

These are no different than the merchandising gimmicks of the past, it's just that the show is moving so fast that the gimmicks do as well to keep up.

Also, Episode N as a title is pretty gimmicky, yes, but Season 2 is natural given that the show is now representing B2/W2 rather than B/W.

Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard returning is the biggest gimmick that the writers have ever pulled.

But Mewtwo coming back has nothing to do with Best Wishes or it's ratings; it's happening in the movie. As for Charizard....

EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.

Yeah, what he said.

Last edited:

Lorde

-Charizard returning? EVERY SAGA HAS PREVIOUS POKEMON RETURNING SO IT IS NOT A GIMMICK. INFACT CHARIZARD SO FAR IS THE ONLY POKEMON OF ASH'S TO RETURN PROPERLY, BW HAS THE LEAST GIMMICKS OF ANY OTHER SAGA.

You're forgetting that this is Charizard we're talking about, aka one of Ash's most popular Pokemon. If it had been one of his other Pokemon I wouldn't see it as a gimmick, but given Charizard's history, I'm inclined to believe that he was chosen to return based solely on his popularity. I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings, hence why some of us think his return is another gimmick and hype opportunity.

Haunter ゴースト

The gimmick things happening so fast and so much isn't out of desperation, it's because BEST WISHES IS A FAST-PACED SERIES.

It's not even just that Agent Pierce, people seem to forget that the first 80 episodes of BW had absolutely no gimmicks at all compared to the other sagas which had gimmicks spread out throughout the whole saga.

You're forgetting that this is Charizard we're talking about, aka one of Ash's most popular Pokemon. If it had been one of his other Pokemon I wouldn't see it as a gimmick, but given Charizard's history, I'm inclined to believe that he was chosen to return based solely on his popularity. I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings, hence why some of us think his return is another hype opportunity.

He probably did return because of his popularity but so what? He didn't return in DP despite the majority of his other older Pokemon all returning.

Janovy

Banned
This thread should be closed.

We don't need yet another BW complaint thread.

AgentPierce

Mad science FTW!
I mean it's not like he needs development or anything. There's really no other reason for him to return other than to increase ratings

Or it could be that the writers created a Pokemon that was extremely similar to Ash's Charizard: Iris' Dragonite, and they couldn't resist making the two of them meet.

Haunter ゴースト

Complaints that are all misunderstandings.

Nobody seems to take into account that BW is faster paced, and that all of these apparent 'gimmicks' were saved until the final half of BW meaning they were bound to be packed together all at once.

Lorde

He probably did return because of his popularity but so what? He didn't return in DP despite the majority of his other older Pokemon all returning.

Well as others have pointed out, this all comes down to one basic thing: the quest for higher ratings. BW has had some of the lowest ratings yet, so of course the studio would want to show a popular Pokemon like Charizard now. DP had fairly good ratings so Charizard's return wasn't a necessity back then. Not that I'm trying to pit DP against BW, but I think it's safe to say that DP's ratings were superior to BW's; I don't need to see the ratings list to assume that much. :x

Oh and by the way, I realize that Mewtwo's return isn't helpful to the anime's ratings given that he's coming back in the movie. Still, movie ticket sales are also important right? Him coming back will do wonders for the new movie, so it still feels like a gimmick.

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
The anime has always used "tricks" to attract the attention of the audience, like the various arcs. It's nothing new.

Haunter ゴースト

Well as others have pointed out, this all comes down to one basic thing: the quest for higher ratings. BW has had some of the lowest ratings yet, so of course the studio would want to show a popular Pokemon like Charizard now. DP had fairly good ratings so Charizard's return wasn't a necessity back then. Not that I'm trying to pit DP against BW, but I think it's safe to say that DP's ratings were superior to BW's; I don't need to see the ratings list to assume that much. :x

I can agree with that, but it's still no denial that each saga has an ace in there sleeve to gain higher ratings, and that isn't because of rating losses but simply because the writers want higher ratings in general.

A tonne of things returned in AG, and a tonne of things returned in DP, BW is doing the exact same the only difference being that it's all been saved for the very end because of how strict the first half was on references.

Oh and by the way, I realize that Mewtwo's return isn't helpful to the anime's ratings given that he's coming back in the movie. Still, movie ticket sales are also important right? Him coming back will do wonders for the new movie, so it still feels like a gimmick.

I understand regardless of Mewtwo being in the anime or movie that people see it as a gimmick.

However i simply feel people are saying it only because it's a returning Pokemon. It's clear to see just how heavily Genesect relates to Mewtwo in the games and the fact it gained a signature move this generation. It's nothing to do with the anime writers, but the fact they are following exactly what material they've been given from the games.

P.S, i think we'll also be getting a hint or two of Mewtwo in the anime aswell.

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.

I don't make the thread with the intention of bashing Best Wishes.

To anyone, this thread serves the purpose of explainin if the writers are being too gimmicky lately and why the writers are promoting the series too much

I don't mind the majority of gimmicks and I like many of the things promoted in it. The main issue with Best Wishes is the Unova League and not because Ash was Top 8. THe rest of any complaining is any minor

The reason because there are too many gimmicks now is because in Unova the series was getting very boring and predictable We know until the Roxie detour the general plotline of the next few months in the anime. This isn't fun. Remember that in BW1 we know that they are following the game mapo so strictly. In Sinnoh, the writers had more liberties between the game places.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
I don't make the thread with the intention of bashing Best Wishes.
I didn't say you did that with an intention. It's just so painfully obvious what this discussion will turn into.

To anyone, this thread serves the purpose of explainin if the writers are being too gimmicky lately and why the writers are promoting the series too much
The writers aren't being gimmicky and they have always promoted the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.