• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the BW series doing gimmick things to have more ratings? Are they desesperate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Champion
Now it's suddenly wrong to be excited about stuff? What the hell?

Yeah, sure.

So it's dumb to be excited about seeing something cool in a kids show. Actually, that's probably true for us adults but that's besides the point. Stop talking sh*t and let people enjoy their damn kids anime. The levels of arrogance LOL

Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard are gimmicks. Right? Getting excited is exactly what they want you to be when they re-introduce gimmicks like that.

But Mewtwo coming back has nothing to do with Best Wishes or it's ratings; it's happening in the movie.

It's a movie during the Best Wishes saga so it's correct.

MattySadler

Any TV show would do whatever required in order to gain ratings.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I really don't understand why people blame BW for stuff like this when all the other seasons also use gimmicks to get more ratings, it's just how the show works.

As many of us have pointed out, BW has used more gimmicks than other sagas; the key word being more. The network is shamelessly promoting certain things and in the end most of those things turn out to be lame, at least according to most fans. Like for instance the whole "conclusion of Team Rocket" thing that turned out to be false; even the part about it being Team Rocket's greatest scheme was a lie as they're guaranteed to plan bigger schemes especially during the current saga.

Squirtle_007

As many of us have pointed out, BW has used more gimmicks than other sagas; the key word being more. The network is shamelessly promoting certain things and in the end most of those things turn out to be lame, at least according to most creepy-pre-grown-up-geeks-that-are-not-even-the-target-of-the-show-anymore. Like for instance the whole "conclusion of Team Rocket" thing that turned out to be false; even the part about it being Team Rocket's greatest scheme was a lie as they're guaranteed to plan bigger schemes especially during the current saga.

That´s more accurate

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people are questioning these gimmicks when every saga has brought forth new ideas. DP didn't do things exactly like AG so there's no reason to believe the new ideas in BW are because of a hidden motive like increasing ratings.

These 3-years have practically flown by so it probably has more to do with the writers trying to make BW as memorable as possible.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
So, if these gimmicks are gimmicks.(Advertisement, the whole point of this show) I guess the Notch-Eared Pichu, May returns, the Johto Festa, Swinub's quick evolution(Pokemon Platinum advertisement!!!!1111), The Rotom episode, the introduction of Looker, Ursula showing up with Pikachu's Hoenn cousins, and the return of old Pokemon in the league were gimmicks too? I guess those don't count since they were separated by the immense amount of bland fillers in DP.

Also, anime nerds are not the "true" fans because they are not the target audience.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
So, if these gimmicks are gimmicks.(Advertisement, the whole point of this show) I guess the Notch-Eared Pichu, May returns, the Johto Festa, Swinub's quick evolution(Pokemon Platinum advertisement!!!!1111), The Rotom episode, the introduction of Looker, Ursula showing up with Pikachu's Hoenn cousins, and the return of old Pokemon in the league were gimmicks too? I guess those don't count since they were separated by the immense amount of bland fillers in DP.

Also, anime nerds are not the "true" fans because they are not the target audience.

Let's not forget Togekiss and the Misty lure :p

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Let's not forget Togekiss and the Misty lure :p

Aw, yes, Togekiss's capture and Cyndaquil's league evolution and the episode before with a battle of all three Johto starters against TR. Nice gimmicking(advertisement) for Platinum and HGSS of course since Togepi is gotten by egg in both games. :p

Rohanator

Brining back Mewtwo and Charizard are gimmicks. Right? Getting excited is exactly what they want you to be when they re-introduce gimmicks like that.

So...they do something that they hope people will get excited about and people get excited..why is this wrong again? Is there really something wrong with actually enjoying this stuff nowadays? I like seeing Charizard and Mewtwo, I don't give a f*ck about "gimmicks".

i think what mr.vern is getting to is that yeah they want you to be excited however you just won't know if that excitement is too much. usually when they try to make the audience super excited, sometimes it ends up being a major disappointment.

of course, correct me if i am wrong.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!

A few points aren't even valid. Unlike Charizard/Mewtwo's return or TR's finalmission, some of the stuff listed are game promotion for Pt/HGSS. Unlike 5th gen, which is just pure Unova, Gen 4 HAD none Sinnoh games too! As for Plusle & minun, it was just to tie up / reveal why Kenny caled Dawn Pikari. That's it. It's also ironic that between that the titles you listed from Rotom ep to Princess's Salvia Togekiss EP, a lot of them aren' even filler at all. I can list a few off my head right now. vs team Galactic (Iron Island, Gateway to ruins, 3-parter), vs Hunter J (TG Finale, Regis), vs Brandon (Battle Pyramidep), vs Paul (Lake Acuity 2-parter), Gym Battle (6&7), Zoey episodes,Johto Festival, Daybreak (?) Town Contest, Pokemon Ping-Pong w/ Ambipom's release, vs Ursula (twice), Cresselia vsDarkrai... etc etc. DP doesn't have as much fillers as the fanbase perceives, you know? The filler-y part is towards the end, 7th andth gym might have a large gap, but it's spent on *list above*

I wasn't aware such a thing as a "true" fan exists myself.

Point being, there is no "true" fan. That's a load of BS. So long as you give each arc a chance and watch it a bit regardless of whether you like it or not, you are a true fan in my eyes. :D

Last edited:

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I wasn't aware such a thing as a "true" fan exists myself.

Point being, there is no "true" fan. That's a load of BS. So long as you give each arc a chance and watch it a bit regardless of whether you like it or not, you are a true fan in my eyes. :D

He means the people that the anime is written for, I think.

LizardonX

Banned
So will the grand total of 30 seconds of screentime Misty/Brock get in the flashback sequence.

I think thats more fanservice for older viewers. There are plenty of good scenes without either one of them.

or they could be edited out XD but I think the rage from youtube and deviant art would have killed the internet

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

It depends on what you consider a gimmick in the anime. I was merely expressing my disappointment with things that are hyped months before they happen in the anime to shamelessly increase ratings, which has become a problem recently. Some of the things that you listed like Swinub's evolution and Ursula with Minun and Plusle happened without much fanfare, so I don't count them as gimmicks. I'm not arguing against all forms of promotion, just those that are done to make up for the fact that BW's ratings have been free falling for about two years now.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
It depends on what you consider a gimmick in the anime. I was merely expressing my disappointment with things that are hyped months before they happen in the anime to shamelessly increase ratings, which has become a problem recently. Some of the things that you listed like Swinub's evolution and Ursula with Minun and Plusle happened without much fanfare, so I don't count them as gimmicks. I'm not arguing against all forms of promotion, just those that are done to make up for the fact that BW's ratings have been free falling for about two years now.
The ratings for BW are perfectly fine, the show's ratings have been on a steady decline since it began back in OS, no succeeding saga's ratings have been better than the one before it. This isn't exclusive to Pokemon, every show in Japan's ratings are slowly but surely dropping due to a combination of less people watching TV and less childbirth in Japan overall. The producers of Pokemon don't care about ratings, they do care about merchandising because that's where their priorities and money lie mainly. Mewtwo and Charizard were not brought back with the intentions of increasing ratings, this show could have pitiful ratings and it would still continue on if the merchandise sold heavily. Dragon Ball Kai in Japan got massive ratings but the show got canned after 100 episodes due to no one actually buying the merchandise. I'm almost 100% Charizard and Mewtwo were not brought back for ratings, more so because said Pokemon are popular Gen 1 Pokemon that the producers can cash on due to the innumerable amounts of stuff they could produce en masse, market and sell. The same could be said of Genesect, Dragonite, Oshawott, Snivy, Pikachu, Emolga, and just about every other Pokemon on the main cast. At the end of the day ratings have nothing to do with any of this which is why I think it's very odd people keep citing ratings as a motive for the recent happenings in BW. Swinub's speedy evolution and Ursula's Hoenn mouse duo were most certainly done for advertising but since this thread seems to think that "gimmick" is synonymous with "advertisement" I just decided to point that out.

Last edited:

TheFonz

Pokemon Semi-Master
Yeah Ratings are a bit tough to judge now compared to before. In the 90s-early 2000's everyone watched tv. But as technology has increased, there's even people who don't even watch tv anymore.

It's really interesting when you realize how the simplest things can be so different after a decade or so

Status
Not open for further replies.