• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the dutch "Sinterklaas" festival racist?

Jefko

almost completed Dex
Hi, i was just wondering what all you think...

I live in holland and we have a holiday here called Sinterklaas..
it is about a saint named (in english) Saint Nicolaas.

And i want to know what all of you think about Zwarte Piet (Black Pete) who is hiss helper,
Now i am wondering if people from other countries think this is racist.
My question to all of you is, Is it racist to have a holiday with an older gentleman riding a white horse, and having black helpers

Here is some more info, now i took this piece of text from wikipedia because i am to lazy to type all of this:
sinterklaas.jpg

Sinterklaas

Sinterklaas is an elderly, stately and serious man with white hair and a long, full beard. He wears a long red cape or chasuble over a traditional white bishop's alb and sometimes red stola, dons a red mitre, and holds a gold-coloured crosier, a long ceremonial shepherd's staff with a fancy curled top. He carries a big book that tells whether each individual child has been good or naughty in the past year. He traditionally rides a white gray.
[edit] Zwarte Piet
Main article: Zwarte Piet

A Zwarte Piet (Black Pete, plural Zwarte Pieten) is a servant of Sinterklaas, usually an adolescent in blackface with black curly hair, dressed up like a 17-th century page in a colourful dress, often with a lace collar, and donning a feathered cap.

Sinterklaas and his Black Pete usually carry a bag which contains candy for nice children and a roe, a chimney sweep's broom made of willow branches, used to spank naughty children. Some of the older Sinterklaas songs make mention of naughty children being put in the bag and being taken back to Spain. The Zwarte Pieten toss candy around, a tradition supposedly originating in Sint Nicolaas' story of saving three young girls from prostitution by tossing golden coins through their window at night to pay their father's debts.

There are various explanations of the origins of the helpers. The oldest explanation is that the helpers symbolize the two ravens Hugin and Munin who informed Odin on what was going on. In later stories the helper depicts the defeated devil. The devil is defeated by either Odin or his helper Nörwi, the black father of the night. Nörwi is usually depicted with the same staff of birch (Dutch: "roe") as Zwarte Piet.

Another, more modern story is that Saint Nicolas liberated an Ethiopian slave boy called 'Piter' (from Saint Peter) from a Myra market, and the boy was so grateful he decided to stay with Saint Nicolas as a helper.

The Zwarte Pieten have roughly the same relationship to the Dutch Saint Nicolas that the elves have to America's Santa Claus. According to tradition, the saint has a Piet for every function: there are navigation Pieten ("wegwijspiet") to navigate the steamboat from Spain to the Netherlands, and acrobatic Pieten to climb roofs and stuff presents down the chimney, or to climb down the chimneys themselves. Over the years many stories have been added. In many cases, the Pieten are quite bad at their job, for instance the navigation Piet might point in the wrong direction. This provides some comedy in the annual parade of Saint Nicolas coming to the Netherlands, and can also be used to laud the progress of children at school by having the Piet give the wrong answer to, for example, a simple question like "what is 2+2?", so that the child can give the right answer.

With the influx of immigrants to the Netherlands starting in the late 1950s, Zwarte Piet is felt by some to be racist.[6] Today, Zwarte Pieten have become more modern servants and parents often tell their children that the Pieten have black faces because they climb down dirty, soot-filled chimneys.[7] Although, this modern variation on the tradition is often critiqued by expatriates and locals as being a "cover story" because it does not explain the curly, black hair and large, red lips. The character continues to be a source of controversy and was the subject of protests throughout the Netherlands during the holiday season of 2011.

Last edited:

)WisP(

Graceful as the wind
It's not really that racist at all. It's based upon old Norse mythology, and it's only recent changes to it that might make it questionable. Making the Zwarte Pieten 'stupd' could be seen as racist, but these changes were probably made at a time when this light racism was more acceptable. At it's heart, this festival isn't racist, it's just the changes that have made it 'more racist'.

Jefko

almost completed Dex
well, i still find it strange that black people are kinda potraited as slaves, by a white old man...but i expected a more lively debate :(

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
well, i still find it strange that black people are kinda potraited as slaves, by a white old man...but i expected a more lively debate :(

You answered it yourself when you cited the oldest explanation. They come from Norse mythology, even though a more recent explanation points to a black boy named Peter. That explanation doesn't even seem to make much sense, since there are multiple helpers and the story only features one black boy. Immigrants should be mindful of the customs of the current population.

Either way, that tradition doesn't seem to match Krampus the holiday ghoul: young men dressing as a monster to scare children. What could possibly go wrong?

As a baby, my sister could barely handle Santa Claus (stranger anxiety). I would've hated to see her face up against:

220px-Krampus_at_Perchtenlauf_Klagenfurt.jpg

7 tyranitars

*eats traditional chocolate letter while reading this*

Firstly I am actualy suprised to see something that actualy is about my country.

Secondly:

It isn't racist, mayby for 'outside' people it will be seen this way, in the past a lot of changes have already been made to make it more politcaly correct. (about after the second world war) It is just a day for children to get all kinds of gifts and candy/chocolate, much like Christmas in the Usa, but we celebrate both ;).

pirate555

Word.
*eats traditional chocolate letter while reading this*

Firstly I am actualy suprised to see something that actualy is about my country.

Secondly:

It isn't racist, mayby for 'outside' people it will be seen this way, in the past a lot of changes have already been made to make it more politcaly correct. (about after the second world war) It is just a day for children to get all kinds of gifts and candy/chocolate, much like Christmas in the Usa, but we celebrate both ;).

I so glad my name starts with an "H", it yields a lot of chocolate in the form of the chocolate letter on my own desk right now!

Back on topic though: I find the lack of concern for political correctness in Holland on the matter of Zwarte Piet refreshing; sometimes high sensitivities are only indicative of an actual underlying stigma, and I think (at least in the Sinter Klaas tale) there's no real stigma to fear. Zwarte Piet is no more insulting to black people than Santa's elves are to people who suffer from dwarfism. On the whole the story is considered apolitically by both the Dutch and minorities in Holland (whether Turkish or Surinamese). Besides, the more sinister connotations of Piet - association with the devil, the job of handing out coal to bad children - have faded away.

To those outside of Holland though, like you say, it can be a bit of a culture shock to learn about the Dutch tradition in a country where golliwogs and blacking up have come to be stigmatised. My friends at university here in England came face-to-face with Black Peter on a Dutch sweets bag last month and were horrified. I wonder to what extent forbidding more trivial activities (like changing your own skin colour as part of a costume, for example) actually make discussions of racism more taboo and therefore more difficult to talk about openly. Comfortable open discussion is the best treatment for keeping real racism (actively discriminatory) out of society, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kaiserin

please wake up...
Ahh, I have a friend from Belgium who I talked about this with before when she raised the very same issue as a means of debate on one of the social networks we both use. She was asking in genuine curiosity, because she herself knew it wasn't intended to be a racist tradition at its core, and so wasn't in favor of it being scrapped. But she did seem to agree with the conclusion I, as someone from a different country, drew from this whole thing, though, luckily.

Personally, while I think it is important to be concerned about and aware of changing views in society, such as those held about people of color any number of centuries ago, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to scrap long-held or beloved traditions, or even change them to please people. I'm of the opinion that a compromise would be best, especially when it comes to educating kids who are just learning about it on its meaning from both a historical and a societal standpoint.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the tradition the way it is if people really insist on it, but if they do, it should absolutely come with some sort of education and awareness. Telling kids in a way they can wrap their head around that "this is how people used to think of these things, and there's a reason why a black man is portrayed this way, but we wouldn't do it today because even though it was okay then, it's not okay now", or something like that.

There's probably other ways to compromise about this, but I think at the very least, letting people become informed about the whole thing from all sides of the issue would be best.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
I've heard of the story behind Zwarte Piet before and I thought it was quite interesting. Why should skin color even be considered a possible issue in the first place?

7 tyranitars

Ahh, I have a friend from Belgium who I talked about this with before when she raised the very same issue as a means of debate on one of the social networks we both use. She was asking in genuine curiosity, because she herself knew it wasn't intended to be a racist tradition at its core, and so wasn't in favor of it being scrapped. But she did seem to agree with the conclusion I, as someone from a different country, drew from this whole thing, though, luckily.

Personally, while I think it is important to be concerned about and aware of changing views in society, such as those held about people of color any number of centuries ago, it doesn't necessarily mean you have to scrap long-held or beloved traditions, or even change them to please people. I'm of the opinion that a compromise would be best, especially when it comes to educating kids who are just learning about it on its meaning from both a historical and a societal standpoint.

I see nothing wrong with keeping the tradition the way it is if people really insist on it, but if they do, it should absolutely come with some sort of education and awareness. Telling kids in a way they can wrap their head around that "this is how people used to think of these things, and there's a reason why a black man is portrayed this way, but we wouldn't do it today because even though it was okay then, it's not okay now", or something like that.

There's probably other ways to compromise about this, but I think at the very least, letting people become informed about the whole thing from all sides of the issue would be best.

However it is never implied because they are 'black' they work for a white guy. And the kids it is aimed are too young to understand the difference anyway. When I was young I never felt like: hey because they are black they work for a white guy. And besides the story goes that they are black from the ashes in the chimneys ;)

Kaiserin

please wake up...
However it is never implied because they are 'black' they work for a white guy. And the kids it is aimed are too young to understand the difference anyway. When I was young I never felt like: hey because they are black they work for a white guy. And besides the story goes that they are black from the ashes in the chimneys ;)

It doesn't have to be; people will probably draw that conclusion on their own without any help from the story itself.

And no, kids probably don't understand the difference. Not yet. But I think it'd be far better to, you know, teach them the difference early enough so they can understand it more clearly when they're older, as opposed to waiting until they're already too set in their beliefs to tell them otherwise. If they're not taught this sort of thing early on, they're going to learn something completely different. After all, kids tend to learn not only by being told things, but by example from the people around them.

Worth mentioning that racism is not always an obvious thing, either. There's far, far more internalized racism in the world than there is from people who are actively racist, known for being racist, and proud of being racist.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
I see no problem with it, as long as having black helpers isn't linked to south african and american apartheid.