• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the pokedex getting old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
No, it's not getting old. I mean, there are new kids who come to the anime all the time and probably don't know all 649 like we do...so I don't think it's getting old

Lady Umbreon

This reminds me of something that happened a few years ago at the elementary school library I volunteer at. I think it proves that kids do benefit from the Pokedex entries.

A girl checked out one of our copies of the chapter book "Team Rocket Blasts Off". She complained that the book didn't explain about the Pokemon it referenced so she went to the public library and found an old Gen 1 guide (updated with Mew and Togepi! Woo!) so she could look up Pokemon as they were mentioned. Very resourceful, but the poor girl didn't know how far behind she was. She honestly thought there were still only 151 and this was Gen 4.

Last edited:

White_Roar~

Mother Monster
I don't think the Pokedex is getting old it's kind of useful for Pokemon fans because the Gen I, II, III, IV, and V Pokedex entries may not say what is said in the anime and Pokemon Fans can find out more about their favorite Pokemon or just any Pokemon

joep05

master of disaster
i'd rather it be the pokedex than something which is more or less the same thing e.g. pokegear, pokenav, poketch etc., just a different name. its been there since the very beginning, also like a tradition, i certainly dont mind.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
Not everybody who watches Pokémon has been watching it from the beginning. A lot of new watchers show up every season, so they might need to be filled in on some pokémon which the old viewers know well.

That said, I wish the show would take more care not to have Ash scan a pokémon more than once. If the creators are going to introduce new trainers to the main cast regularly, they've always got the chance to make those guys do the scanning if the new viewers haven't seen the pokémon, but Ash and the old viewers have.

Earthia100

I never really thought about it... The anime is how I learned about most of the 150 Pokèmon. So I guess the Pokédex has done it's marketing job.

☭Secret_Shocker☭

Everytime he goes on to a new saga, he gets a brand new pokedex cleansed out of info, and he forgets the others. I bet 649 Pokemon wouldn't fit in that mind of his.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
it is interesting to see some predator and prey pokedex to me.

and i am getting old.

NightKrazy

Fire Queen
I think the dex is still useful. I didn't know the info of the BW pokemon [cuz I wanted it to be a suprise] so I used it a lot. I'm kinda getting tired of the designers changing the gamedex's setup though. I like the Jhoto gamedex the best. I do kinda also miss Dexter in the Anime. It was the only dex that announced itself and gave lost/stolen info.

Lord of Fire

The Great Conqueror
In my opinion, the pokedex is somewhat getting and not used cuz people can just use serebii.net for info, areas. Also, other websites are like this and some,(like serebii), show a lot more info than pokedexes, so it i s kinda old. But it gives you a very hard challenge in the game, and without it, the goal in the game would be just to beat the elite four, so the pokedex, yet old, sustains the goal and classic purpose of pokemon.(Except for entertainment).

Jonah the Slaking

Couch-bound Warrior
Well, I don't like the anime, but the Pokedex isn't that much of a problem. I do think it's stupid how he felt the need to use it on Homika's Koffing, though.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Once they stop making Pokemon(whenever that is), they might can decide that there would be no need for it. But even though if they were to replace Ash and have new casts members, they would still have someone in the group hold that crappy Pokedex.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Its not like the pokedex says the same thing every time. Ash has pokedex'd a scolipede I don't know how many times, and it always has said a different thing. Sometimes the thing says something interesting, too.

Blessed

The Pokedex will teach you various information about the pokemon you encounter. I found it a tad annoying how May & Dawn constantly pulled it out. I don't think Coordinators get it. I think only Ash needs it. And then the Pokedex voice changes a lot I cannot comprehend why. I liked it's voice in Hoenn.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The Pokedex will teach you various information about the pokemon you encounter. I found it a tad annoying how May & Dawn constantly pulled it out. I don't think Coordinators get it. I think only Ash needs it. And then the Pokedex voice changes a lot I cannot comprehend why. I liked it's voice in Hoenn.

Why don't coordinators need Pokedex's? What?

The pokedex was better in Kanto when Ash was a beginner and it actually gave him useful information about pokemon trainers.

Now people pull it out every 5 seconds and it gives them random crap they don't need to know.

It would have been nice if it was still used the way it was before. I can think of a few moments where a pokedex could have helped Iris.

Last edited:

ArielSummer

Not for me. I used to know all the Pokemon as soon as they came out but for some reason I have only like 8 memorized from Unova. so the pokedex is a huge help/

Status
Not open for further replies.