• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the pokedex getting old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ver-mont

The Pokedex will teach you various information about the pokemon you encounter. I found it a tad annoying how May & Dawn constantly pulled it out. I don't think Coordinators get it. I think only Ash needs it. And then the Pokedex voice changes a lot I cannot comprehend why. I liked it's voice in Hoenn.

Coordinators need to know about Pokémon, they raise them too. And the voice changes because it isn't always the same model.

ForgottenPearl

No, it's not getting old to me at all. I tend to find the random fact or two it gives to be interesting. And it gives viewers who don't know all the Pokedex entries off the top of their head some context in knowing what the Pokemon is, what it does. I guess it could be done differently, but I'm fine with it as it is.

EspNeon

Badge Collector
I feel mixed about it. I understand it being kept as a device intended to be used to record new Pokemon (the main purpose of the franchise) and it is something that every new trainer starts with so it is traditional to an extent. Plus it is used to help people who are new to the show to understand whick Pokemon it is.

However, I dislike the Pokedex as it is "used" to find out what Pokemon it is, even though the only word it says is it's name. The main "gripe" with the Pokedex is that it is used to find data on Pokemon we have seen several times before, usually in a prior episode.

But I suppose overall it is used to record data for the professors who send trainers on their journey and it helps new fans to understand more so I suppose it is a useful yet annoying plot device.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The Pokedex will teach you various information about the pokemon you encounter. I found it a tad annoying how May & Dawn constantly pulled it out. I don't think Coordinators get it. I think only Ash needs it. And then the Pokedex voice changes a lot I cannot comprehend why. I liked it's voice in Hoenn.

Coordinators need Pokedex's as well. They were just as ignorant if not more then Ash, so if anything they needed it more then him. Not to mention they served as the scapegoat to scan any old Pokemon that were in old regions so new generations of kids who don't play the games know what the heck these creatures are.

This is the role of the Pokedex and it's important for the show.

FinalSynFrey

Like everyone here said here. Its useful to the people who haven't played the games.
I personally don't find anything bad about the PokéDex in the Anime. While Its always popping up here and there (especially BW), It can get annoying at times when you already know It, but Its there for people who don't have the games or a new fan to the show.

There are tons of Pokémons in the "Pokémon World" that these individual trainers don't know about. And the PokéDex is an important key item for them to learn what these Pokémons are.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
No. Nuff said, but its for new viewers and may have a plot in the story like the mansion episode.

Blessed

Coordinators need Pokedex's as well. They were just as ignorant if not more then Ash, so if anything they needed it more then him. Not to mention they served as the scapegoat to scan any old Pokemon that were in old regions so new generations of kids who don't play the games know what the heck these creatures are.

This is the role of the Pokedex and it's important for the show.

I like this rationale.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
And it gives viewers who don't know all the Pokedex entries off the top of their head some context in knowing what the Pokemon is, what it does. I guess it could be done differently,

Ignoring the fact that the pearls of wisdom given by the dex are rarely relevant in the episode storyline and in addition Ash cant get enough of playing his gizmo, can you really think of a Pokemon that needs 'context'?

ForgottenPearl

Ignoring the fact that the pearls of wisdom given by the dex are rarely relevant in the episode storyline and in addition Ash cant get enough of playing his gizmo, can you really think of a Pokemon that needs 'context'?

My memory isn't perfect, but let's see... I believe the Snivy entry said something about how they sometimes abandon their trainers. With Mincinno, it said that they like being neat and tidy, a plot point important in Bianca's debut. That sort of thing.

And I guess by "context," I like knowing how a Pokemon lives, where it was discovered, something like that. It makes the world feel more real, like the world exists beyond just what Ash and friends experience. It makes each Pokemon feel like a species, one that could be studied.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
To be honest, the Pokedex got old years ago. It serves no purpose other than to spout random bits of information, 99% of which is completely trivial anyway. I get that the writers want to teach kids about all the different kinds of Pokemon, but in this day and age, I'm pretty sure they could do that themselves just by searching online.

My problem is when Ash has already seen the Pokemon. Like he saw Trip's Frillish and used the Pokedex. That's alright. The he saw another wild Frillish and used the Pokedex again. Really?

ArielSummer

My problem is when Ash has already seen the Pokemon. Like he saw Trip's Frillish and used the Pokedex. That's alright. The he saw another wild Frillish and used the Pokedex again. Really?

Its meant for people who may have not seen the pokemon in previous eps

Status
Not open for further replies.