• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is the Switch Lite Good Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Sharp

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are on the Switch Lite? I was looking to buy one as I only have a 2DS at the moment and I want to play the new Pokemon games. The obvious drawback is that you cant play it on a tv but too be honest I don't think I would really make use of this feature anyway so the cheaper price is very appealing. The other differences don't seem too bad but I'm seeing that the lite is getting a lot of stick everywhere for being worse than the original Switch.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'd probably stick with the regular one. You could at least replace the joycons on it if anything went wrong. You wouldn't be able to do that with the Lite. You'd have to send the entire thing in for repair or replacement.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Switch does a solid job as both handheld and console. But, as a long-time handheld player myself for Pokémon, I prefer to use the docked mode of Switch which allows me to enjoy it more, specifically in Zelda: BotW or mostly online-oriented SSB: Ultimate, on a larger/quality screen. (Dock provides up to 1080p, handheld 720 only.)

For Pokémon Sword and Shield, you'd probably want to explore the Wild Area in and out on a monitor or TV. But, it's also your choice to buy the game, Switch Lite, a screen protector, a case, and have around $10-15 on hand if you go for that route.

Kuroshi

If you are buying the Switch mostly for Pokémon, then the Switch Lite is a good value. The only games that you wouldn't be able to play so far are games that don't have handheld mode, and detached Joy-Con centrc titles like Mario Party, 1-2 Switch, and Just Dance. It's no worse than the original Switch, and actually better in some areas like battery life.

Xuxuba

Gonna be honest with you, i didn't think i was actually going to play it on the tv either, but nowadays i just play it on the tv. Which is weird bc i used to own only portable consoles before.

Maybe it's because some texts are just unreadable on the portable mode. Maybe it's the better resolution, frame rate and sound or even the fact i don't have to charge it. I don't really know.

I guess there is also the fact that nowadays i rarely go outside and when i do i don't really want to bring with me something as expensive as the switch cause someone might rob me or i might drop it/forget it somewhere.

If i am gonna bring something it will probably be my smartphone bc i need it in case of an emergency and it also keeps me entertained for a while.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Currently, I'm on the Fence for myself. Mainly as it would be my secondary system, like when I got my 2DS back in January 2014. If I was to buy one, it would be for Pokémon Trading, like the 2DS and OG DS* back in the day. I already own the "launch" Switch, so I'm fine for SwSh launch. There are a few questions I'd rather find out before I buy, mostly due to account and saves related, which I hope it answered on day 1. Finally,I'm not planning to buy day 1 or SwSh Launch.

*Actually my OG DS was purchased first, but I upgraded to the Lite just before DPs Launch.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Let me bring up a case with my mom.

My mom pretty much only wants a Switch for Animal Crossing (and maybe a few select other games).
Because she is part of the casual audience that wants it for a few games, the Switch Lite would work for her.
(Although I might get the upgraded version, so we'll see.)

This could apply to people who only want a Switch for Pokemon.

Otherwise, if have a more dedicated interest, want to play multiple games, and don't mind paying $100 extra, then you probably want to get the "Switch Pro" or something.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
I recently looked at switch prices and I'm considering a switch lite. I lost most of my interest in Pokemon a few months into gen7, it's very underwhelming. i probably had 1 month of strong interest in SM and i got UM to supplement the things i found that GF "missed/left out" in gen7. thats not the main point of the post but gen7 didnt fare well for me in the long run. ive recently gone back to HG and XY to play and reorganize my pokebank apps' (2DS, 3dSxl) inventory into something i can store ingame on the gen6 cartridges. i dont use the DS systems that much these days but i do need to reorganize the gen6 tasks i set out to do to get it to a state where i can let one PKbank app expire (if needed) in the future.

this brings me to the switch. i have a Xbox 360 i got long ago to play some of my favorite games that had an arcade and PC versions that i grew up playing. usage of the xbox dropped rather fast when i jumped into HG/XY with a 3ds. $400 is a crap load of money for a switch and i really have a strong interest in Pokken tournament and a moderate interest in sword (mostly character customization). i read that there are drift issues with the analog inputs for the various switch models in some cases. im not favoring the regular switch at this point as its $140 extra over the Lite version but the Lite doesnt have removable pads. how commonly does the Lite version have with drifting issues? im not really interested in the docking port as id rather play the xbox on the TV and leave a switch as a handheld game.

im not really sold on the list of games the switch has to offer as there are only 2 games that have my interest. other games are super smash bros, Mortal Kombat. im more into Soul Calibur, Initial D, Unreal tournament, Maximum tune 5-6 (arcade versions, im still regularly going there to play the arcade versions) and none of these games are near the interest or forte that Nintendo traditionally had to offer. im open to a switch lite to get Pokken and sword for only a few select features it has that interest me but this drift issue it could potentially have is a bit worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.