• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there a race double standard in the media?

Don Imus' nappy hair comment and Michael (Kramer) Richards tirade caused almost all of the media to call them out on it. It also occurred to some less known entertainers like "Dog" Chapman who had to apologize for their comments against other minorities or gays. But it seems like black comedians are able to go on racist and inappropriate tirades quite often without the media barely batting an eye. Does it seem to you like this is officially the case after comparing all these incidents? Or it just seems that way?

This is one example of comedian Kat Williams insulting a Hispanic male and Mexicans who come to the United States by basically saying all of them should go back because they did not build the country like the black slaves.

KATT WILLIAMS: Insult Mexicans Coming Over To America (contains foul language)

Last edited:

randomspot555

Don Imus' nappy hair comment and Michael (Kramer) Richards tirade caused almost all of the media to call them out on it. It also occurred to some less known entertainers like "Dog" Chapman who had to apologize for their comments against other minorities or gays. But it seems like black comedians are able to go on racist and inappropriate tirades quite often without the media barely batting an eye. Does it seem to you like this is officially the case after comparing all these incidents? Or it just seems that way?

That guy from 30 Rock went on an anti-gay tirade and got called out on it. He apologized within 24 hours.

KuroiMawile

In some instances certain things should never be said, (like Tar baby) most times it's just ill-timed, poorly constructed jokes and quips.
(I think I can see a hint of racial bias there)

Honestly most good comedians know how to phrase things as jokes. Like Kevin Hart. If it's a convincing joke people will laugh it off, if it's just,
"I'd Stab my son if he was a ***,"
Where's the funny?

I drives me nuts when they're interviewing mexicans on NPR and they refer to white people as Gringos. They would never refer to black people by their slang name on the radio.

I agree, its one thing trying to make goofy offcolor comments and another one being obscene and mean. like in the kat william's example, he attacked a whole race of people. the don imus quip about 'nappy hair ho' was ignorant but not extremely offensive as the media tried to hype up.

I drives me nuts when they're interviewing mexicans on NPR and they refer to white people as Gringos. They would never refer to black people by their slang name on the radio.

i dont think gringo is any more offensive than the word carpetbagger. because apparently it is a neutral term unless they add a expletive along with it. then it becomes like the saying 'honkie'

Last edited:

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
you mean Tracey Morgan. yes, he had to apologize, however that was about homophobia and not talking about other races
He didn't have to do anything. He only apologized because he wanted people to think that he's not a homophobe.

I agree, its one thing trying to make goofy offcolor comments and another one being obscene and mean. like in the kat william's example, he attacked a whole race of people. the don imus quip about 'nappy hair ho' was ignorant but not extremely offensive as the media tried to hype up.

i dont think gringo is any more offensive than the word carpetbagger. because apparently it is a neutral term unless they add a expletive along with it. then it becomes like the saying 'honkie'
How do "gringo" and "honky" refer to white people?

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
He didn't have to do anything. He only apologized because he wanted people to think that he's not a homophobe.

How do "gringo" and "honky" refer to white people?

LOL, seriously?

grin·go/ˈgriNGgō/
Noun: A white person from an English-speaking country (used in Spanish-speaking regions, chiefly Latin America).

hon·ky/ˈhäNGkē/
Noun: A contemptuous term used by black people for a white person or for white people collectively.

Anyway, the sooner people realise that race is an illusion created and perpetuated by the blind, the sooner such hypocrisy will end.

Double standards apply to more things too; 'race' is just another realm for two face-edness to occur in.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
In some instances certain things should never be said, (like Tar baby) most times it's just ill-timed, poorly constructed jokes and quips.
(I think I can see a hint of racial bias there)

Honestly most good comedians know how to phrase things as jokes. Like Kevin Hart. If it's a convincing joke people will laugh it off, if it's just,
"I'd Stab my son if he was a ***,"
Where's the funny?

I agree with this. If it is a funny joke, it shouldn't matter much. If it isn't really funny, and the "joke" can also be taken seriously, then you should apologize.

KuroiMawile

To that Mario guy above:

I think the point isn't that's it's directly offensive, but it's a slang word used toward white people, when there aren't many slang words you could use toward an Of-Mexican-Descent that would be part-offensive. (and there are just so many words for Of-African-Descent people you may as well not bother. I think Uncle Ruckus covered most of the more hilarious ones)

Sadib

Time Lord Victorious
To that Mario guy above:

I think the point isn't that's it's directly offensive, but it's a slang word used toward white people, when there aren't many slang words you could use toward an Of-Mexican-Descent that would be part-offensive. (and there are just so many words for Of-African-Descent people you may as well not bother. I think Uncle Ruckus covered most of the more hilarious ones)

But isn't "white" just slang for Caucasian?

So, girngo isn't an offensive term?

Incase you live under a rock Gringo is the white version of N*gger for people from the Spanish speaking world.

Seriously man. That's like saying, "What's so offensive about N*gger? Isn't that slang for a person from Nigeria?"

The point was, they would never say N*gger on NPR (National Public Radio), but they had no problem saying and quoting people saying Gringo. It's a double standard.
[img139]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/justwhitepeople.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
So, girngo isn't an offensive term?

My understanding is the word originally just meant non-Spanish speaking European foreigner; however it has later picked up connotations, like the word 'Chinaman'. Like all words, it depends what the receiving person thinks. I don't get offended by gringo because 'race' isn't a real boundary. Others may get offended at the perceived ignorance/ hate however. So, best to avoid using it.

marioguy said:
But isn't "white" just slang for Caucasian?
Until the word white obtains a generally negative connotation, the comparison between gringo and white isn't a good one.

[img139]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/whitey.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/mattj_pokemon/gringo.jpg[/img139]
etc

It's all about the person's intent. In the interview I listened to the person's intent was clearly to belittle and harass.

Last edited:

Zora

perpetually tired
Incase you live under a rock Gringo is the white version of N*gger for people from the Spanish speaking world.

Seriously man. That's like saying, "What's so offensive about N*gger? Isn't that slang for a person from Nigeria?"

The point was, they would never say N*gger on NPR (National Public Radio), but they had no problem saying and quoting people saying Gringo. It's a double standard.

Except most people aren't familiar with the word Gringo, so it doesn't carry the same weight as the n-word. Most of the time offensive terms are offensive because of the weight they carry (and thus, the reaction they induce), and otherwise they're just insults.

Anywho, referring to the OP, I wouldn't say there really is a double standard. It's almost an unwritten rule that you can make fun of your own demographic. I'd imagine that there are a lot of white comedians who make fun of a "white privilege" life just as much as there are black comedians making fun of their own race. I also remember watching a comedian during my speech class who was African-American and made racial jokes of African-Americans. Whenever she made jokes, she would sometime later make disclaimers. But, the point is, it really isn't a double standard so long as you are making fun of your own demographic.

Now, there are some issues of white individuals supposedly facing reverse discrimination, but that's really a whole other issue altogether. But, honestly, I don't think any discrmination white individuals might face is tantamount to what individuals of color had to face in the first half of he twentieth century, and are at most trivial racial slurs and minor inconveniences. And said minor inconveniences (e.g. affirmative action) may or may not be justified. Anyways, I'm going to steer clear of that topic lest I derail the thread and keep it at that.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
Except most people aren't familiar with the word Gringo, so it doesn't carry the same weight as the n-word. Most of the time offensive terms are offensive because of the weight they carry (and thus, the reaction they induce), and otherwise they're just insults.
As I alluded to, some will not appreciate the contempt of the word, others wont care and as you say, some wont even know they are being insulted.

i would say the word gringo is like the word mexican. in its neutral state it just means a white person.

but when said in a certain way, such as 'why are there so many mexicans here?' when referring to hispanic people who may or may not be mexican then thats offensive. and saying 'all you gringos are the same', that would be the negative representation. it could also be similar to the thumbs up, where its positive in the US. but in the middle east the thumbs up means stick it up your rear.

Last edited:

Zora

perpetually tired
As I alluded to, some will not appreciate the contempt of the word, others wont care and as you say, some wont even know they are being insulted.

No, I mean, I'm not saying it has a neutral connotation. I'm just saying it's too obscure to be analogous to the n-word because it simply cannot induce the same reaction, thus comparing it to the n-word is a little too strong IMO. That's all.

Vermehlo_Steele

Grand Arbiter II
No, I mean, I'm not saying it has a neutral connotation. I'm just saying it's too obscure to be analogous to the n-word because it simply cannot induce the same reaction, thus comparing it to the n-word is a little too strong IMO. That's all.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Yeah, you're right on the flawed comparison.