• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there any reason for Serena to comeback aside from Shipping?

Applecorp

This. She should've stayed sassy like she acted when she was at home with her mom instead of losing that as soon as she met Ash and the others.

But would more sass from her have been a good thing? I got the feeling like most people who liked Serena liked her because she was subdued and gentle. Her being sassy might have ruined her image.

Epicocity

But would more sass from her have been a good thing? I got the feeling like most people who liked Serena liked her because she was subdued and gentle. Her being sassy might have ruined her image.
I think some of it comes from this weird belief that "sassy = strong" while "gentle and demure = weak". It's the same reason people seem to judge her worse compared to Dawn and May because she battled less. It's a bit weird, I find. The reality of it is that Serena only gives sass to her mother really, and even then, it's rare and was to show how much she hated Rhyhorn Racing. It doesn't make her weak or uninteresting just because she's not biting her companions' heads off occasionally.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet

I dunno how other folks feel about sassy girl characters but to me that's a better personality trait than some humble waifu trope.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Applecorp said:

I don't think it would've hurt people's perception of her that much. A lot of viewers seemed to find fault with Serena's development, and I sometimes wonder if things would've been different for her if the writers had made her more motivated and active, instead of them allowing Satoshi to drive the Kalos saga.

Epicocity

I don't think it would've hurt people's perception of her that much. A lot of viewers seemed to find fault with Serena's development, and I sometimes wonder if things would've been different for her if the writers had made her more motivated and active, instead of them allowing Satoshi to drive the Kalos saga.
Wasn't she, though? Outside a couple key parts, Serena pretty much drove the story after her first Showcase until the Master Class. The only thing Ash got in that time were his three Gym battles and Noibat (with the occasional Greninja and Alain stuff that amounted to 3 episodes), while Serena had 4 Showcases, the many-episodes long Eevee arc, quite a few focused episodes and the Master Class. She was kind of the one driving the series for a good 50+ episodes. And even then, it wasn't like her character arc stopped after the Master Class, playing an important role throughout the Ash-Greninja arc, Flare arc and then her own personal conclusion in XYZ 45.

Admittedly, yeah, took her time to get going, but given her indecisiveness was part of her character arc, it only makes sense it took a while.

Blastmaster

I think some of it comes from this weird belief that "sassy = strong" while "gentle and demure = weak". It's the same reason people seem to judge her worse compared to Dawn and May because she battled less. It's a bit weird, I find. The reality of it is that Serena only gives sass to her mother really, and even then, it's rare and was to show how much she hated Rhyhorn Racing. It doesn't make her weak or uninteresting just because she's not biting her companions' heads off occasionally.
Iris was second only to season 1 Misty in terms of sassiness, and she's the most disliked companion in the entire show. That logic doesn't work in the slightest.

It's really less about Serena's lack of sassiness and more about her lack of any distinct quirks in general. The only ones she has are her crush and (I guess?) that haunted house gag that doesn't really count since it was only in two episodes. Other than that, her core character is almost entirely stock feminine traits or stock hero traits like "kind" and "selfless." Development isn't a personality trait.

May and Dawn are stronger characters for me not just because they act sassy sometimes, but because their sass is one of a variety of traits. Dawn in particular has basically all the same girly hobbies as Serena, but also has other hobbies like battling and poetry, both of which are largely gender-neutral. Her standout trait is her confidence and energy, another completely gender-neutral quality. Serena's only standout quality is her crush, which is also why it's more than just marketing that stereotypes her into that. The spunkiness with her mom was basically the only other thing that could give her more to work with, but it's completely dropped when her arc starts.

Jeal

While I do think that she deserved a post-XY special, I often wonder if it would've been worth it since as much as I liked Serena, I never saw her as a character who could carry an episode by herself.
Why can't her carry an episode by herself?

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
Why can't her carry an episode by herself?

That was just my opinion of course, but I base my belief on the fact that she was always forced to share the spotlight with someone else, even during her TryPokaron competitions since there were always other major characters during those that took some of Serena's screen-time away such as: Sana, Nene, Musashi, Millefeui, Amelia, Elle, or various combinations of two or more of these characters, not to mention Yashio and Monsieur Pierre's occasional appearances.

It's hard for me to imagine that this wouldn't repeat itself in some way even if she got a new special episode, because there's bound to be another character(s) who gets involved and takes up at least half of Serena's allotted screen-time. We already saw something like this happen in the Citron special where Dent decided to place himself at the forefront while Citron and Eureka were treated like extras, so excuse me for not having my hopes up too high for how Serena would be handled in a similar episode.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Because they never bothered to watch a Showcase episode, in which Serena carries the episode by herself
I still think that the Showcases episodes felt restricted because the routines are mainly focused on Serena and less on her rivals, hence rushing those episodes and they restrict Serena to participate on battles and other interesting stuffs because of Ash's presence during the XY series. Have him out during her special and they would have an easier time to expand things on her.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
What a ridiculously stupid question.

Serena could come back for any reason any other companion would come back - to show us where they currently are in their journey, how much (if anything) has changed for them), what Pokemon they've caught, what Pokemon have evolved, and what they're planning to do next.

Like what is the purpose of any companion returning for an episode or two? There is usually very little. Serena is the same as any other companion.

Jeal

That was just my opinion of course, but I base my belief on the fact that she was always forced to share the spotlight with someone else, even during her TryPokaron competitions since there were always other major characters during those that took some of Serena's screen-time away such as: Sana, Nene, Musashi, Millefeui, Amelia, Elle, or various combinations of two or more of these characters, not to mention Yashio and Monsieur Pierre's occasional appearances.

It's hard for me to imagine that this wouldn't repeat itself in some way even if she got a new special episode, because there's bound to be another character(s) who gets involved and takes up at least half of Serena's allotted screen-time. We already saw something like this happen in the Citron special where Dent decided to place himself at the forefront while Citron and Eureka were treated like extras, so excuse me for not having my hopes up too high for how Serena would be handled in a similar episode.
XY047? XY053? XY060? XY064? XY085?

All these episodes were carried by herself.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Imo XY53 and XY60 were the best episodes that Serena carried on her own. If she ever returned i think they could make it work since contests would have her do more with her performances and other things.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jeal said:
XY047? XY053? XY060? XY064? XY085?

All these episodes were carried by herself.

I'll give you the first three, although in XY085 she shared a lot of the spotlight with Kojirou and later Jingoro, and in XY064 Elle had just as much screen-time as Serena did. Still, three pivotal Serena episodes that proved she could get a lot of attention to herself out of 140 isn't exactly impressive, and unfortunately it doesn't change my opinion about how her special episode would likely be handled.

Jeal

I'll give you the first three, although in XY085 she shared a lot of the spotlight with Kojirou and later Jingoro, and in XY064 Elle had just as much screen-time as Serena did. Still, three pivotal Serena episodes that proved she could get a lot of attention to herself out of 140 isn't exactly impressive, and unfortunately it doesn't change my opinion about how her special episode would likely be handled.
These episodes were just examples, there are more episodes.

What do you want? Every episode with only her doing something? Obviously there will be interactions between characters. By your logic, Ash, May and Dawn didn't carried episodes by themselves, because X character had screentime in their episodes.

Serena had 20 episodes, not 140. You can't judge her episodes counting the entire series.

Serena's, May's and Dawn's episodes aren't different.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
What do you want? Every episode with only her doing something? Obviously there will be interactions between characters. By your logic, Ash, May and Dawn didn't carried episodes by themselves, because X character had screentime in their episodes.
One can only dream right? I want an adventure with only Pokegirls on it. I want Ash gone. I want a format similar to Pokemon Twilight Wings, Generations or Adventures with rotating protagonists.

But Pokemon as a franchise, the creators/producers are conservative about it to the point that they aren't receptive to the fan demands/requests, so to me fan complaints/critics can be justified.

Last edited:

nickdt

Because they never bothered to watch a Showcase episode, in which Serena carries the episode by herself

Depends on who appear in the showcase though. If Jessie appears in the same showcase as Serena, Serena's isn't carrying the episode on her own, because Jessies popularity will still overshadow Serena to some extent.