• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there life in outer space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaiBlade

ɾαρτυɾε
A life needs like Air and Water to survive so I really think there is like life in outer space.
Scientists like discovered water on the moon.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Yes, it is statistically impossible that we are the only life, intelligent or not, in the universe.

/thread

Calm PokeMaster

A life needs like Air and Water to survive so I really think there is like life in outer space.
Scientists like discovered water on the moon.

With the discovery of water of moon,there is a chance that simple life forms like bacterium might already be existing on our Moon.

starwars

megacharizard king
life should exist on other planets even if it is just bacteria what are the odds that only one place has life and others dont and life can adapt to all enviroments not just the ones we seem livable so there are all kinds of places. did the really find life on a moon ive only heard of the bacteria found on a meteorite from mars

Tyrant Tar

did the really find life on a moon ive only heard of the bacteria found on a meteorite from mars

They found water on the Moon (as well as on Mars and a number of moons of Jupiter and Saturn).
And that "fossilized bacteria" from Mars isn't confirmed to be bacteria or not.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
I think there could be life somewhere in the galaxy. I actually always wondered this question for as long as I remeber (Probably back when I played with Dinosaurs at like 6 or 7, I had questions for those as well). As many said it's a huge big space out there with millions of stars and unexplored or unknown planets, we can't be the only planet with living things on it.

Now don't jump down my throat for I am going to say, it's just a wonderment more then anything, but if God created this world and the Univerise, the whole galaxy then maybe he created life on other planets as well (Or placed more humans on another planet, you never know)

KBM117

I think there may be life on other planets, but I don't think they would look drastically different from us. As in having tenticles and 6 eyes. I think they may have some human features.

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
its is possible for there to be life. Hell there could have been super extremly smart humans thousands of years ago that migrated to another planet because they wanted to escape dec 12 2012

card games

Troll Trainer
I dont beleive there is a alien people with superior technology. There might me some space fungi or plants.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

After looking over new information since my last post, I've decided that life arising would be very unlikely elsewhere in the universe. If we find anything I think it's going to be contamination from one of our own space vessels or something. Lichens and bacteria can survive in a vacuum for a while; I believe they found that water bears were able to survive being in Earth's lower orbit for ten days, as well.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
After looking over new information since my last post, I've decided that life arising would be very unlikely elsewhere in the universe.
Why is that? There are more galaxies in the universe than a human brain can physically fathom. There are approximately 70 times more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand in every piece of sandy coastline on Earth added together (about seventy thousand billion billion, or 50 thousand quadrillion stars, or seventy sextillion). If you took a keyboard with 95 different keys, and made a 10-character password using any of those characters, how many different passwords do you think there would be? About 1000 times fewer combinations than there are stars in the parts of universe that we are certain exist. There are almost surely billions more stars that we cannot detect.

If you are suggesting NONE of those stars has a planet with conditions like Earth around it, you are absolutely insane.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
Why is that? There are more galaxies in the universe than a human brain can physically fathom. There are approximately 70 times more stars in the universe than there are grains of sand in every piece of sandy coastline on Earth added together (about seventy thousand billion billion, or 50 thousand quadrillion stars, or seventy sextillion). If you took a keyboard with 95 different keys, and made a 10-character password using any of those characters, how many different passwords do you think there would be? About 1000 times fewer combinations than there are stars in the parts of universe that we are certain exist. There are almost surely billions more stars that we cannot detect.

If you are suggesting NONE of those stars has a planet with conditions like Earth around it, you are absolutely insane.

Seems like a pretty flimsy argument to just say "Well its a big universe, life is out there somewhere" Everyone understand the universe is big.

I asked someone earlier to do the math, and he did, but he wasn't sure his equations were correct. And even if you do have the essentials for life, that doesn't even gaurantee it. Water is great and all, but you have to have just the right temperature among various various other factors. Life making is much more complex than add a drop of water to a piece of random floating space rock.

I'd be interested seeing the real statistical probabilities of life. Such as 1 life harboring planet per so and so galaxies.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Now, where did I explicitly say that there was no planet similar to earth? I was speaking of life. Doubtless there are many planets with similarity to Earth before life arose.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Life is just a series of chemical reactions happening simultaneously, remember that with so many stars out there, it is statistically certain that one of them will have Earth-like composition and will sit in the right temperature band. If you have all the right ingredients, all you need is a spark of lightning as a catalyst to get your first proteins forming into single-cell organisms.

Polar Star

Huzzah!
Of course there's life other than us. It doesn't matter though, since it'll take well over 10,000 years to reach the other lifeforms, even if we create a vehicle that moves at light speed.

Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy

Life is just a series of chemical reactions happening simultaneously, remember that with so many stars out there, it is statistically certain that one of them will have Earth-like composition and will sit in the right temperature band.

With so many planets, I could probably find a fully and naturally formed, functioning watch on the ground, too.

If it is 'statistically certain', I would like to see the statistics you are using.

Calm PokeMaster

Time to revive this thread lest its closed.

On a different but related topic, do you think that al the ufo sightings that took place aftr the kenneth arnold sighting way back in 1950 are false or do u think they might be cover ups to prevent panic among people?

Discuss

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
There, has to be due to the laws of infinity, which says that if the universe is infinite that means that there must be life out there.

Also the Drakes equation says there must be at least 10,000 planets in the solar system that has life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

UFO sigtings however are false. Because why is it always in america that these "cover ups" happen, why not china?

Profesco

gone gently
Profesco used Hi Bump Kick!

Status
Not open for further replies.