• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there life in outer space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah i beleive in aliens, i also belive that they hanged out with humans and smoked pot with people back in the countercultural years with woodstock and hippies.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Yeah i beleive in aliens, i also belive that they hanged out with humans and smoked pot with people back in the countercultural years with woodstock and hippies.
Please tell me your being sarcastic.

Why wouldn't other life exist in the universe?
there almost HAS to be life.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find some sort of bacteria on Mars? The details are a little fuzzy to me cause it was a few years ago and I was pretty young. If I'm right, then that proves that there must be other places perfectly suitable for multi-celleed organisms

Valkyrie X

Somewhere out there, yeah, I absolutely believe life exists.

I don't understand why everyone assumes that intelligent life will ALWAYS be more advanced than humans, though. They could be dumber than a sack of dirt for all we know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they find some sort of bacteria on Mars? The details are a little fuzzy to me cause it was a few years ago and I was pretty young. If I'm right, then that proves that there must be other places perfectly suitable for multi-celleed organisms

Nope, they found formations that looked like fossilized bacteria, but they're still not sure if it's just a natural formation in the rock or remains of life.

Well, they're pretty sure there was life on Mars as there was liquid water, but a giant solar storm destroyed Mars' magnetic field 3,5 billion years ago.

There certaintly isn't life on Mars anymore, liquid water instantly vaporizes there but there could be life on Jupiter's moon Europa. The cracked surface reveals that there are giant liquid oceans beneath the surface. There isn't any light there so photosynthesis is impossible, but that's also the case with Earth's black smokers. Bacteria use sulphur and other elements in a reaction that also makes sugar and support higher creatures with that sugar.

Then we have Titan. It's almost impossible that Titan currently supports life (the spacecraft on it still didn't find anything). But it's in the same state like Earth was 4 billion years ago, when life arrived here. So it is possible that it'll contain life in the far, far future.

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Considering the mere breadth of the entire universe, I have no doubt in my mind that life exists somewhere out there.

Of course, part of my opinion is formed by the thought of earthlings being the only living beings in a universe that's too vast to even comprehend being simply unsettling.

Upa

Pink Floyd Never Die
I obviously believe there's life, perhaps even in our Solar System, but chances are that most of them are primitive forms of bacteria. Intelligent life is really very rare. We must be the only form of that in the Milky Way. But look at the trillions of other possibilities. We have the Andromeda, where there's bound to be life.

And I trust with all faith in the universe itself that we have life elsewhere. I cannot be proved wrong.

We must be the only form of that in the Milky Way.

Why are you so sure, btw we're just a level 0 civilisation that still uses fossil fuel.

We have the Andromeda, where there's bound to be life.

Why are you sure sure there's life in the Andromeda galaxy if you think we're the only civilisation in the Milky Way? We don't even know if the Andromeda nebula has a so called "zone of life" (where the radiation and temperature isn't too high or too low) like the Milky Way has.

Spherical Ice

Average Spriter
I obviously believe there's life, perhaps even in our Solar System, but chances are that most of them are primitive forms of bacteria. Intelligent life is really very rare. We must be the only form of that in the Milky Way. But look at the trillions of other possibilities. We have the Andromeda, where there's bound to be life.

And I trust with all faith in the universe itself that we have life elsewhere. I cannot be proved wrong.

But you can't be proved right, either. Well, easily, at least.

Personally, I beleive that there is life somewhere. As Upa said, bacteria will be around, clearly. But, as for intelligent life forms, I think some do exist, though I have no proof (actually, look at Mr. Brown).

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
In an infinite universe, I find it very difficult to believe that there is no planet other than Earth that supports life.

I do wonder, if we discovered life on another planet, would we recognise it for what it was? Just because we have a definition of life on Earth doesn't mean we have a definition of life itself...

Treeconator11

Ultranumb
I find it hard to believe no one has mentioned Calvin and Hobbes yet.

"Sometimes Hobbes, I think the surest sign there's intelligent life out there is that it hasn't tried to contact us yet." Calvin.

Life exsistes out there, but they're way too smart to give a **** about us.

Erienne

Anime high :D
I'm sure there is life out there, since we've demonstrated that all an ecosystem needs to survive is oxygen, carbon dioxide, bacteria, water, and light. I'm sure that bacteria are pretty common, and carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen (which make up most organic compounds as well) are some of the most common elements in the universe: hydrogen the most common, oxygen the 3rd, and I forgot carbon.

ThePokéman09

Not to mention that life could exist with massive differences to our own. Silicon-bsed lifeforms, anyone? Methane-breathing? Who knows?

Erienne

Anime high :D
The problem with silicon is that at large chains it isn't as stable as carbon. Methane is an option, considering many bacteria we know use methane instead of oxygen for biological processes, but unless you live on Titan, again, oxygen is much more plentiful. Also carbon is much more plentiful than silicon in the universe.

Another problem with methane is that it is unstable in Earth's atmosphere, with a half life due to ultraviolet radiation. Since every planet needs a source of light, save chemoautotrophs, methane wouldn't be stable in the atmosphere. Plus, methane, unlike oxygen, is a greenhouse gas as well, so it would be very hot on that planet as well.

Last edited:

masterleo

Order Up!
^In a universe as large as our's, it seems unlikely that NO other planets could support life.

striker

I AM THAT IS
Whats the point of this thread?

This aint even a debate as everyone is just saying the same thing and are all on the same side. This is as good as walking into a church (being a christian yourself) and asking whether there is life after death.

Status
Not open for further replies.