• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there REALLY a way to end warfare forever?

Tim the turtle

Happy Mudkip
This isn't really a debate anymore. I think that it's time that this thread was brought on track. I am going to begin arguing from the point of view that I expressed earlier in the thread as the idea of an end to war seems the minority view point here so I will be taking the position of devil's advocate.

I think that there are several key ideas to the eradication of war in society.

The first of these is the development of weaponry that has the capability of annihilating a nation. The advent of the nuclear age has given several key nations an unmistakable advantage in warfare, however this is tied in with the theory of Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD). A nuclear nation cannot hope to engage another similarly equipped nation for fear of massive retaliation. Although logically we should conclude that this does not in any way stop the use of conventional warfare, as Mueller states "Escalation is a myth", it is difficult to imagine that such a conclusion is easy for a leader to make. The pressure of second guessing a nations' response to any form of warfare could all to easily prove too much of a burden to consciously decide on war. So whilst escalation as a certainty is a myth, that does not mean that it can't happen. We can see this demonstrated in history, for example although conventional warfare did break out during the Cold War, it never occured directly between two nuclear states.

The second is the spread of stable economic models that rely on a democratic system. The increasing importance of the working classes in influencing decisions cannot be overstated. As control of a nation shifts from dynastic succession to elected representatives war becomes less likely because it stops being a "gentlemen's proving ground." War in Europe prior to the 20th century was seen as a romantic sprot. Aristocratic young men would often be given the command of armies despite a lack of military understanding simply because it was deemed "proper" that they should go to war. Now that government is not decided by an aristocracy it becomes far less likely that war carries on as a traditionalist method of settling desputes, especially as the working class are less likely to support armed conflict.

Food for though for now, more to come later when I'm not hungover or at a music festival preparing to get hungover ;)

Historians claim that WW2 was supposed to be "The War that Ends All Wars"

*cough* Bull#%@$!!

It was actually the first world war that was referred too as the war to end all wars, not the second. It's actually even more ironic as WW1 was one of the biggest causes of WW2 (The treat of Versaille was too harsh and appeasement wasn't harsh enough).

Ipwnyou

Since when is America attacking/bullying Afganistan? The war on terrorism is just America trying to prevent another 9/11 from happening, if anyone's being bullied it's America.
It's not necessarily bullying in the sense that America is evil.
I think the point he was trying to make is that the US isn't fighting someone who is equal to them in terms of power like we were in ww1.
We're just fighting a bunch of guerillas.

Ammako

Yes, there is a way: STOP ****ING GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES WITH GUNS AND WHATEVER!!!

Zenotpawal: Maybe that we have an instinct to fight, but usually instincts are what tells us what to do to survive. If nobody is menacing your life, you won't wanna beat the crap out of them.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Yes, there is a way: STOP ****ING GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES WITH GUNS AND WHATEVER!!!

Zenotwapal: Maybe that we have an instinct to fight, but usually instincts are what tells us what to do to survive. If nobody is menacing your life, you won't wanna beat the crap out of them.

Yes.

Yes, i agree.

Maybe we just like to fight (some of us).

We could destroy all weapons of war. From every country.

We could destroy all weapons of war. From every country.

Then people would just batter eachother with sticks and rocks.

Humans are territorial, violent and selfish creatures and war will be carried out as long as we exist in some form or another.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me

Humans are territorial, violent and selfish creatures and war will be carried out as long as we exist in some form or another.

At that point, sticks and rocks would do hardly anything to the human body....

Your 2nd sentence makes alot of sense.

Erienne

Anime high :D
War will always happen. Between any sentient being, there will be conflict. If we don't fight and kill ourselves, some other species will take that initiative.

Tri hawk

Say no to Poké-drugs
Surely a war large enough to annihilate at least half of the planet should keep the relative peace for a few years afterwards.

Erienne

Anime high :D
It's called a nuclear winter. A war large enough to annihilate half of the planet would kill us all eventually. Haven't you ever heard of the movie On the beach? Cha.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!

The 2nd sentence is sadly true.
I do have a way to end end warfare once and for all though.

Tri hawk

Say no to Poké-drugs
It's called a nuclear winter. A war large enough to annihilate half of the planet would kill us all eventually. Haven't you ever heard of the movie On the beach? Cha.

I was drawing attention to the fact that no matter how many wars we go through, large or small, we will never cease to fight them. I wasn't asking how it would get to that point.

ThePokéman09

Historians claim that WW2 was supposed to be "The War that Ends All Wars"

*cough* Bull#%@$!!

It's been 60+ years after the end of WW2, & people are still getting into armed conflicts of all kinds. I'm no pacifist, but who in their right minds would live inside a ravaged war-zone?

Chances are that nobody would like that, so for this, I would like to know if there is a way that we can have everlasting peace, or is the human race doomed to fight each other to extinction?

*retreats into the panic room*

And you know what else? That's the exact thing they said about the Great War.

But we're making progress. Large scale wars should be very rare now, especially with the threat of nuclear weapons and possible antimatter in the future. Instead we have localized wars and terrorists rather than facist fanatics trying to beat the **** out of everyone. But no, warfare will keep going as long as sentient beings, capable of indivisual thought and form his own opinions, remain.

derekkoch

Ich bin der Kapitän
the only way to end crime is to end peace

if there is peace one place ther is chaos somewhere else

joy=pain evil=good doom=peace

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
But we're making progress. Large scale wars should be very rare now, especially with the threat of nuclear weapons and possible antimatter in the future. Instead we have localized wars and terrorists rather than facist fanatics trying to beat the **** out of everyone. But no, warfare will keep going as long as sentient beings, capable of indivisual thought and form his own opinions, remain.
Seeing as how WWII turned out. Im pretty scared to see how a modern war of super-powers would be. Like between the US and China, or maybe Russia. So many innocents will die. And who knows what kind of neuclear dammage we or they would do...

Calm PokeMaster

You cannot stop human conflicts.But you can stop them from growing into seriously dangerous Wars,though.

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
At the current moment, we cannot conveniently do this. We will suffer from extreme overpopulation. We will eventually die out in similar numbers in the end, war or no war. Until we get more territory, we can't escape a mass death every twenty years or so, whether from violence or starvation...

unfortunately, to get territory, people will get greedy, and as a result, people will go to war. There are cases when war is foolish and unnecessary, but it cannot be fully avoided. Its just who we are. At the moment, the mind-set of the world will make this impossible. Unless we somehow right our wrongs in a concrete manner...we can't get rid of it forever. And we never will...

Call me pessimistic, but when have we ever brought a total end to any kind of violence..i mean even slavery exists in some parts of the world still...as a race we suck.