• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Is there really character development in Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
If it's good to be goofy and airheaded, why do people have a problem with Cameron? He is the airheaded Ash taken to its logical conclusion. He is lively, has token quirks, and solves every problem by rushing into it without anything resembling a plan. He is the very model of a shonen protagonist.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
If it's good to be goofy and airheaded, why do people have a problem with Cameron? He is the airheaded Ash taken to its logical conclusion. He is lively, has token quirks, and solves every problem by rushing into it without anything resembling a plan. He is the very model of a shonen protagonist.

There is a difference between being goofy and lively and just being a brain dead idiot.

Colton S

Beware Bewear
I do think that each character does develop significantly by the end of a region mainly because at the beginning of the Advanced Generation, May didn't like Pokemon, but in the end, she loved them. She developed as a person by maturing after Ash's mentor-ship. She is just one character out of many, though.

Navin

MALDREAD
Because OS Ash never ignored type matchups or relied on DEM mid-battle evolution. Cameron just took the concept and ran with it.

Even Kanto Ash wasn't that stupid (Johto Ash was already better). Like Ash knew not to send Bulbasaur, a Grass-type, against Zippo at the Indigo Plateau. Also, it wasn't funny seeing Cameron slap his head with his headband for ideas only to do dumb things like sending Swanna against a Pikachu.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

Ash never forgot to bring six Pokemon to a full battle, nor did he get away with blatant rule-breaking like Cameron did. Cameron has no redeeming factors imo, but I don't count him as a main character anyway, so any development that he received - or lack thereof in this case - is ultimately redundant in my humble opinion.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Even Kanto Ash wasn't that stupid (Johto Ash was already better). Like Ash knew not to send Bulbasaur, a Grass-type, against Zippo at the Indigo Plateau.
Ash never forgot to bring six Pokemon to a full battle, nor did he get away with blatant rule-breaking like Cameron did.
Which only goes to show that Cameron is even more of an airhead than Ash, but I was under the impression that people like airheads. Cameron is just Ash taken one step further, so what's the problem?

Also, it wasn't funny seeing Cameron slap his head with his headband for ideas only to do dumb things like sending Swanna against a Pikachu.
I can't recall any of Kanto Ash's antics being funny. The stuff Cameron did was funnier, if only for laughing at him instead of with him. I mean, come on, almost boarding a plane for Johto.

RVD_fan

In Kanto and the Orange Islands I felt like he developed a lot, and by the time he defeated Drake I really felt like he'd come a long way as a trainer. In Johto he had a bit less but had a pretty strong finish. In Hoenn, except for the occasional overconfidence issue, he took a bit of a back seat to both May and his own Pokemon in terms of growth. In DP, it wasn't so much development (although there was some notable maturation) as it was bringing his own unique personality to the forefront when faced with someone who was so different. The traits that were focused on in DP were always there, it's just that they a much better job of bringing them out through his various rivalries as well as his Pokemon. I do think learning to accept other people's choices even if you think they're completely wrong was a big step for him.

BW tried to do a pseudo-reboot but didn't really do anything with it. They never went far enough to make you think that maybe Ash had actually lost it, it just felt like they were killing time while Ash got back to where he was in previous seasons.

I would say on the whole Pokemon does have very slow but still perceptible character development, having marathoned it from the very beginning to the middle of BW to catch up, I can definitely identify subtle character growth.

phanpycross

God-king
Cameron was OS Ash, with some of the strongest (nonlegendary) pokemon ever, We met him far to late in the saga, To see the problems he faced, also his airheadiness came across as semilaziness, hence he only brought 5 pokemon. Even if you had no focus what so ever, you should be able to know the rules, unless you dont give a crap. People complain about Iris getting a dragonite, but it seemed like Cameron came sleeping to victory.

fitzy909

Just another guy
Cameron was OS Ash, with some of the strongest (nonlegendary) pokemon ever, We met him far to late in the saga, To see the problems he faced, also his airheadiness came across as semilaziness, hence he only brought 5 pokemon. Even if you had no focus what so ever, you should be able to know the rules, unless you dont give a crap. People complain about Iris getting a dragonite, but it seemed like Cameron came sleeping to victory.

Cameron did sort of mirror OS Ash, but Ash seemed more focused and less lazy. Cameron got rediculously lucky and it seemed kind of stupid watching a guy that was way more lazy than Ash and yet Ash has never won.

Navin

MALDREAD
Cameron did sort of mirror OS Ash, but Ash seemed more focused and less lazy. Cameron got rediculously lucky and it seemed kind of stupid watching a guy that was way more lazy than Ash and yet Ash has never won.

Agreed. Cameron got a Hydreigon. Cameron got a Lucario. Cameron got a Ferrothorn. 3 OU Pokemon and to top it off and he got Samurott. It was just a stupidly overpowered team for a stupid trainer to win a stupidly-portrayed battle.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Agreed. Cameron got a Hydreigon. Cameron got a Lucario. Cameron got a Ferrothorn. 3 OU Pokemon and to top it off and he got Samurott. It was just a stupidly overpowered team for a stupid trainer to win a stupidly-portrayed battle.

How his Hydregion has not killed him out of spite IDK.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
How his Hydregion has not killed him out of spite IDK.

I know right? Cameron is my LEAST favorite rival of Ash, because he THREE OU Pokémon and at that time, Ash had no powerhouse on except maybe Krookodile, but Cameron showed up with JUST FIVE Pokémon to six-on-six match, how he was STILL qualified to battle is beyond me.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I'm just going to answer the topic question, because it does come up a lot more often than you might think.

From an overall standpoint, there has been a lot of character development over the course of the franchise. That said, there are characters that have had far less development than others. For instance, Ash should by all rights be the most developed character in the show, since he's been around since the beginning. But he isn't. Now mind you, a lot of this is for narrative convenience, since he's constantly bouncing between Regions and essentially resets his team each time. But it is worth mentioning, since there are occasionally episodes where he meets up with older teammates again. So there is a degree of continuity between Regions. Of course the Pokémon and teammates get character development too, though the cast is constantly changing (usually every Region at least).

Lastly, Jessie, James and Meowth (JJM). Love them or hate them, these three have gotten the most development out of all the characters in Pokémon. Usually comic relief foils, these three have far more depth to them than any other characters that have been in the show long-term (and even occasionally help to stop real villains, even if they're not as adept as the main characters). Despite their tendency to annoy me when they appear and soak up screen time during otherwise awesome battles (though the show did tone this down a bit in the fifth Gen, and we thank them for it), I still often find their subplots to be more interesting than the heroes', especially during the fillers where they can sometimes save an episode.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Jessie, James, and Meowth have gotten the worst development out of all the characters. With each generation they get worse, except for the 1st half of BW, but it was way too late for Team Rocket to become more threatening by then. Imo that should have happened in Johto where they should have had a better climax plot.

Kuvario

I am who I am...because of them.
Jessie, James, and Meowth have gotten the worst development out of all the characters. With each generation they get worse, except for the 1st half of BW, but it was way too late for Team Rocket to become more threatening by then. Imo that should have happened in Johto where they should have had a better climax plot.

No way, they have some development, in episodes like that ramen noodle episode, and Training Daze too!

And to answer the main question, yes there is some development, but it kinda goes away every series.

Tyrantrum

No way, they have some development, in episodes like that ramen noodle episode, and Training Daze too!

And to answer the main question, yes there is some development, but it kinda goes away every series.

I think Jesse/James have been long overdue for some kind of character arc. We've been waiting 14 years for them to figure out that its going to be the world's only talking pokemon that's going to get htem rich...not a Pikachu that seems to fluctuate in how strong it is. (should be lvl 100 by now but can lose easily should the writers decree it)

Status
Not open for further replies.